The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A view from a living hell > Comments

A view from a living hell : Comments

By Bernie Matthews, published 12/5/2006

One man's story from the prison that never was.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
RObert, my very sincere apologies. It was Col Rouge who posted that comment, not you. We would all love suggestions, alternatives, and ultimately a system that 'works'.
Years ago the Juvinile Aid Bureau Queensland had a poster in every office. It read. When you live with criticism, you learn to criticise. When you live with hatred, you learn to hate. When you live with violence you learn to be violent. When you live without hope, you learn hoplessness.When you live with love, you learn to love. Etc Etc Etc. This not only refers and reflects on children, it also extends to our adult life.
I was raised to believe EVERYONE makes mistakes in life, it doesnt matter if you make 2, 22, or 102, as long as you learn by each mistake you become a better person. In saying that, Everyone deserves chances, regardless of their actions. What we are discussing are ways to a better system. Personally, my association with prison officers, there have been a very small minority from who I would classify 'from the old school'. Ones who understand and accept the inmates are there to do their time. Not punish them further with inhumane treatment. When this occurs, it is no wonder, the they are released back into society, bitter and twisted. Education would play a key factor while incarcerated. Degrees, Apprentiships and Tafe studies to be returned into the community with confidence and self esteem. We could go on and on regarding this subject. Until the Ministers and DCS see the problems they have created, only then will we see changes
Once again RObert, my sincere apologies.
Tilly
Posted by Stalker, Saturday, 27 May 2006 12:57:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stalker “Col Rouge. You continually rant on about REMORSE, RESPONSIBILITY, and ACCOUNTABILITY. One would think you yourself don't have a clear conscence,”

Not sure about the remorse bit but as for accountability and responsibility, you bet I take such things very seriously. People who do not almost invariably end up in gaol or at least suffering the contempt of their peers.

Oh btw I was the one who asked about the “postcard bandit”.

It seems to me, if “juvenile behaviour” were being measured, it would be his and those others who consider it appropriate to complain remorselessly about the terms of their incarceration when the opportunity to avoid such incarceration was always theirs to make, just like the rest of us.

As for the pill – doubtless any “independent bystander” could assess the value or merit of contribution made by either Robert or myself to the general well being of our communities and determine it somewhat eclipses the efforts of some other posters here or their interned partners
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 28 May 2006 11:11:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stalker, apology accepted. I agree that it is probably worth while to try and equip some prison inmates with skills to help them better prosper without crime. Having said that I wonder what proportion of jail inmates are there because of an inability to earn an income through legitimate means. I'm not sure how we can viably create a supporting environment in a prison setting. That would require a massive paradigm shift.

Prison farm type environments seem to be a step in the right direction but I'm left wondering about options other than incarceration for prisoners who are a low enough risk for a prison farm. I suspect that for many the necessary locations of prison farm isolates them from family more than urban prisons would do.

As for those who insist on perpetuating violence, conducting escape attempts etc - I personally don't see a real likelihood that programs designed to improve self esteem are likely to touch them.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 28 May 2006 6:22:49 PM
o sung wu, alchemist, RObert, Stalker, Col Rouge and the many others who who have generated comment on my article to broaden various perspectives on prison in general. My personal view - prison is a necessary evil. You cannot do with it and you can do without it, however, after many years in prison and studying the underbelly intently I have found a changing culture that Qld prison administrators and politicians have managed to hide from the public for at least five years to my knowledge. It is a culture that is alien to the majority of 'old crims'and 'old screws' alike but it is a culture that has taken hold; particulalry in Qld. I refer to the culture of "the prison serial killer" which I outlined in my latest article for OLO posted on 26 may and lodged in People - Society for those who care to comment. I would particularly like to hear what Col has to say about this emerging phenomenon. It is the Americanization of the Australian prison culture that portends dire consequences for society as a whole. I watched the culture evolve during the 90s and idly pondered why the mainstream media neglected, either deliberately or otherwise,to inform the public instead of relying on media handouts from the Minister's Office or challenging s100 of the Act to lift the shroud of secrecy that surrounds those tax-payer funded institutions. The public have a right to know what is happening inside their prisons and I have unashamedly utilised OLO as an approporiate vehicle of free speech that s100 tries to gag and censor in Qld when it comes to open debate about its prison system. cheers all BM aka Kilos
Posted by kilos, Tuesday, 30 May 2006 9:27:04 AM
Col Rouge, It seems to me you have a hatered for anything that takes YOU out of the spotlight. You are nothing but a whinger. Get a life.
Posted by Jane Doe, Tuesday, 30 May 2006 11:39:33 AM
I will respond on your latest article on the thread directly, thanks Bernie.

“The public have a right to know what is happening inside their prisons”

The public is represented through the democratic processes of the elected politicians who oversee, as state ministers of justice etc., there is also the correctional inspectorate staff (who operate independently of the line of custodial command) plus any number of annually submitted reports. Then we have various private individuals and organisation such as chaplains, prison visitors etc. who have reasonably unfettered access to prisoners and the prison system.

The notion that prisons are the private and secret domains ruled by a conspiracy of custodial officers is, simply, ridiculous.

Jane “Duh” “It seems to me you have a hatered for anything that takes YOU out of the spotlight. You are nothing but a whinger. Get a life.”

Your opinion of me is a matter of complete irrelevance and quite honestly, that you cannot spell “hatred”, would suggest the rest of your existence is as misguided and instantly forgettable as your capacity for spelling.

Unfortunately for you, i never kowtow to the demands of those who would seek to appoint themselves as arbiters of public taste. So you will just have to suffer me and my continued exercise of the right to post on a public opinion forum.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 30 May 2006 6:00:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy