The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sex talk > Comments

Sex talk : Comments

By Lyn Allison, published 27/4/2006

Exactly what sex education are our children receiving?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
“But comprehensive evidence-based relationships and sexual and reproductive health education in our schools with parents involved and teachers properly equipped to deliver it, must surely help. “

Thats the way to go, but not another inquiry for the bureaucrats to stuff up. Haven't we learnt yet that inquiries only provide bureaucrats with an excuse to look like they are doing something, but are just shuffling papers.

Full sex education, health and lifestyle approach, should be the most important aspects of early learning. If we add reading writing and maths, you have the basis of a start and good understanding of life. We do 3 things most in our lives, eat, sleep and have or think about sex, yet they are the ones that education neglects the most.

I actually don't think things have changed much over the years, people have been doing it from the age that they become aware of itsince time began. Pregnancies in the young have always been prominent, as has sexual disease. Like most things to do with ourselves, we haven't progressed very far at all.

Until education is moved away from economic outcomes and into people outcomes, society will continue to go down the drain.
Posted by The alchemist, Thursday, 27 April 2006 8:14:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sex education is a matter between child and parent. No inquiry will or should intrude into this relationship. Parents must take primary responsiblity for forming their children intensively into adulthood but particularly in the formative years 0-7. If parents are able to do so but are not prepared to sacrifice themselves perhaps they so leave child bearing to others. Once an individual has offspring they have a life long responsibility to form and support the child for the childs sake but also societies.
Posted by pablo, Thursday, 27 April 2006 10:08:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thankyou, Lyn Allison, for continuing to keep the important issue of sexuality education in the media. The World Health Organization defines sexual health as: 'a state of physical, emotional, mental and social wellbeing in relation to sexuality; it is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction or infirmity. Sexual health requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence (WHO, 2002).

Good sexual health is central to our lives. It is important for personal happiness, but also has implications for the fiscal bottom line. Sexuality education is too important to be left ad hoc, and I support Senator Allison's call for, 'comprehensive evidence-based relationships and sexual and reproductive health education in our schools with parents involved and teachers properly equipped to deliver it'.

Such education is not merely the mechanics of reproduction and issues of safety, but incorporates communication, decision making and relationship skills, as well as the development of good self esteem and respect for others. We use these things in all aspects of our lives. Perhaps calling it sexuality education gives people like Pablo the wrong idea. In Victoria the new curriculum strategy, Victorian Essential learning Standards (VELS), has communication as on of the key areas. It's a good start. But specifics about sexual safety are not specified. ARCSHS's excellent resource, Talking Sexual Health, is a great tool for teachers.

Knowledge is power. Let’s empower our children.
Posted by LindaK, Thursday, 27 April 2006 10:39:07 AM
Great article Lyn, with many valid points! No doubt the Christian Taliban will fight you all the way however, claiming that just abstinence and prayer should be taught. The evidence shows what a disaster that turns out to be, so please don't give in to them and their vast spin machine.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 27 April 2006 11:07:04 AM
I know I should agree with the article. In fact I do agree with the theory of it: children should be taught all the skills they need to function in society. As for leaving sex ed to parents: what a joke.

However I've a feeling that sex ed, at least the way it's taught now (to my understanding anyway), is a bit like having a class on using the internet. You end up with the students teaching the teacher ways to beat the system. Any formal sex ed class will talk of love, respect, safety etc but will it mention fun? How about sex and drugs? Should we talk about 'friends with benefits' and how oral sex is a good substitute for the 'real thing'? These aren't my concepts: do a search, see what "kids" are saying to each other in permanent forums let alone with IM. I guess it's not impossible to 'teach around' such concepts, I just have a feeling that adult teachers will always be fighting the last war.
Posted by PeterJH, Thursday, 27 April 2006 11:37:39 AM
Lyn, by installing the federal government in the role of parent you are removing a vital part of the relationship between parent/s and child/ren and that is communication. Parents today feel uncomfortable about discussing sex with their children. The state, with its structured sex 'module' taught in the classroom, has undermined the confidence of parents. How can parents compete with such a 'superior' parent. Teenagers must wonder if their parents have a role in their lives other than someone to drive them to netball or soccer.

Is it any wonder that by the end of high school 25% of young people are sexually active. The pansexualism of 2006 is unavoidable. We see Britney dressed like a seductive school girl on the prowl. The muliebrity she displays is not that of a shy girl unsure of herself. Instead Britney is cast as a soubrette and a wink from any male would see her panties down around her ankles. In another page from the playbook 'sex sells,' a couple in a car who, after a passionate embrace, must curse the fact that the back seat is occupied by 3-year-old Jackson and they'll have to go inside the house to relieve the pressure.

Lyn, can you inform the debate about the incidence of teenage pregnancies in countries where there exists a strong parent/child bond.

And illegal drugs playing a role. What happened to the mantra 'harm minimisation' that was developed by the doctrinaire organisations?

Let's do something daring; let's develop a sex module that we can arm parents with so that they may teach their children.
Posted by Sage, Thursday, 27 April 2006 12:17:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy