The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The punitive obsession > Comments

The punitive obsession : Comments

By Ken Macnab, published 28/2/2006

In tackling crime and violence the law and order bandwagon unthinkingly fosters a culture of more violence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Hi all

BOAZ_David (post 8:41:22 PM 28/2/06)

The 'Cronulla' incident was at Menai. 5 good Police Officers lost their careers in 2001 over the 1998 incident - I know/knew several of those officers. A disgrace! The only officer whom I was pleased to see 'sacked' - he resigned - was Snr Sgt Steve WINDER. Snr Const Tony STACKHOUSE (Ret) was a fine officer. He is still traumatised. His wife & friends have been great supporters.

The self-confessing offender? A 'hero' to his ethnic mates once the Appeals Court had castigated the police (2001?). The others? I think that the DPP didn't proceed.

I agree: who would want the UN - even if they did respond.

You should join me in trying to remove 4 x NSW magistrates who show ineptitude & inability to perform their duty.

Victoria has it worse. The recent appointment of Marcia Neave to the Victorian Court of Appeals (part of the Supreme Court) is worrying.

Solid Scriptural text! Cheers.
(28/2/06)

AMSADL (post 9:51:49 AM 28/2/06)

You are right: politicians are (often) followers & most only focus on being re-elected. That's called "keeping your job". Similarly, in a 'corrupt' factory or hospital, for instance, the workers ignore &/or participate in the wrong-doing.

Notwithstanding, creativity & real crime-prevention methodologies are lacking.
(28/2/06)

Realist (post 10:12:13 AM 28/2/06)

Prisons can be, as suggested, hubs for reinforcing recidivicism. That's why the style of gaols must change to suit the criminality - viz, murderers isolated from burglars.

There isn't as much opportunity within gaols as you might think. It will depend on the classification of the gaol & the prisoner.

Harsh treatment within gaols leads to recalcitration & recidivism at 75%+. Meanwhile violent criminals should not have it easy. The Restorative Justice module in the USA has a low re-offence at between 5%-25% - depending on the gaol. There are 5 "star-performers" from out of the hundreds of American prisons.

Those whom you know would affirm that there is a marked difference between say Long Bay, Silverwater, Junee & Goulburn gaols. None are "holiday-houses" as some people think.
(28/2/06)

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 4:52:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi all

GeorgeT (post 10:13:02 AM 28/2/06)

You're fundamentally correct. It was a disgrace that some of those whom you mentioned were imprisoned, whilst violent less-know repeat offenders received "community service" sentencing which was not enforced &/or not undertaken.

Ken MARSLEW from Enough Is Enough exposed that anomaly in 2004/5.
(1/3/06)

Leigh (post 10:21:53 AM 28/2/06)

I have more reason than most to want to impose "capital punishment" - read my earlier posts 4:16:23 PM & 4:18:57 PM 28/2 - but I am opposed to the "death penalty".

I have studied many of the (potential) capital offences both within Australia & overseas. No one could condone the killings by Charles MANSON or Timothy McVIE, or the rapes by Bilal SKAF. They are "lifers" (near-lifers) for sure. But simple miscarriages of justice such as the 1964 incarceration of Perth-based John BUTTON, who supposedly murdered his girlfriend Rosemary ANDERSON, should be sufficient to cast a shadow over execution. The last man executed in WA, Edgar Alan COOK, killed Rosemary. COOK was executed in 1965 - BUTTON wasn't released until 1969.

John is a "broken man" after his experience. His wife, Helen, said of him: "The thing that got to John, in the end, was that no one would listen to him." Pretty devastating being innocent but judged by everyone as guilty.

We now have DNA. Even it is flawed - about a 10% error-rate.

Whatsmore, I am a pro-lifer. I must be consistent in its application, otherwise I'm a hypocrite.
(1/3/06)

Sage (post 11:07:29 AM 28/2/06)

I'd suggest that we're "importing criminals"! That doesn't exclude the fact that we're also breeding them.

Access to TVs & the gymnasium isn't as prolific as you might think. NSW gaols aren't like the American ones seen on TV. Organised exercise is often only once weekly.

Crime-related segregation may help? That requires building specified gaols. Re-education to the minority (sadly) will help. Preparing them adequately for their release-date is essential.
(1/3/06)

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 4:56:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dr Ken

Herewith is clearly an emotive response, which probably does not give balance to your article or your respondents.

I will never agree that any person should be killed in the name of the law of any country.

I was bashed and raped by two men back in 1993. One recieved four and a half years - after the DDP tried to assist me. The Victorian Magistrate said that he was sorry - apparently he said: " I used an old law - 20 years ago".

One got 4/12 years to get out in three and the other got 200 hours community service.

I wish they could have lived in gaol for the rest of their lives.

I have been a mental health nurse since 1978.

Thankfully, I have given my life to people with mental health problems - not people who abuse the system.

Sadly
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 10:06:54 PM
Amsadl wrote:

"Politicians these days, especially in Australia, are followers not leaders."

My reply: In a democracry we have representatives, not leaders: if you want 'leaders' look for some other form of government.
Posted by Hamlet, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 11:12:06 PM
Plerdsus,
I hope you are never falsely accused of murder in a USA state with the death penality. Reoffending is zero, and so is the chance to continue to fight to clear yourself with new evidence. For example DNA technology has freed some on death row, how do we know what technology will be available in 10 years that may do the same.

I see the death penality as merely blood lust, and vengence, barbaric and primative. In a civilised society only a population whipped up to fear everything from refugees to terrorists would vote to introduce the death penality. I agree "in tackling violence the law and order bandwagon unthinkingly fosters a culture of more violence."
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 2 March 2006 1:33:10 AM
LAB

I admire your stance - especially your lack of hypocrisy. I agree with you as regards death penalty for the same reasons. However I do disagree viz a viz abortion, but that is for another debate and I do ask myself the question of when a life is a life. For me when it is independent, such as people convicted of crimes they may or may not have committed. Anyway, LAB, you do present good arguments and refrain of personal insult.

Shonga - again we are sympatico. Violence simply breeds more violence. Death penalty condones violence. We, as human beings are still barbarians while we permit it.

Finally, Kay - understand your mixed feelings regards redemption. The punishment for rape is in no way adequate for the crime. I too have been raped. It is a death for the freedom and spirit of the victim. Should be a minimum sentence of 10 years first offence and life if reoffend.

Cheers
Posted by Scout, Thursday, 2 March 2006 7:28:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy