The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia - a racist backwater > Comments

Australia - a racist backwater : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 22/12/2005

Greg Barns argues Australians have succumbed to materialism, fear, racism and xenophobia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 42
  8. 43
  9. 44
  10. All
I've seen troll posts here before, but troll articles?
Posted by HarryC, Thursday, 22 December 2005 10:27:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This one should be fun: just when I am getting ready for a Christmas break Barnesy lobs this hand grenade - he must be bristling for preselection some where.

Well in for a penny in for a pound I say:

Much of what he says is true in particular - but even adding all those individual sins together, as grave as they may be, does not a racist backwater or pigsty make.

My own bias warms to his interpretation of opportuniites lost under this current regime and in the presence of a lame duck opposition - but his over alll assesment is far too gloomy.

His opponents will say similar things about our future but for different reasons but I am a bit more optimistic in our capacity to move forward - history is a long time in the making - the stench from the Sydney beaches and those other dillemas he refers to will be resolved with the exercising of those institutions that have got us this far. He really has underestimated our capacity to reason.

Now is certainly not the time to despair in the manner Barnesy has - he should take a little holiday - I'd recommend Trial Harbour on Tassies West Coast -
Posted by sneekeepete, Thursday, 22 December 2005 10:31:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I never knew a person could get such obvious morbid pleasure from self loathing and degredation of his country...
Since Greg has made comparisons with the region for a second lets talk shop. Malaysia for example still harbours a seething racism just under the surface and directed at the ethnic Chinese minority. Indonesia has perpetuated a policy of forcing ethinic/religious minorities to assimilate (often facilitated by the military). The Japanese still refuse to even recognise that the atrocities they committed during the war were motivated by ethnocentic attitudes that still prevail in there society today. Then there is China and the Tibetan issue. Need I go on?
But since you think Asia is such a shining example of cultural tolerance Greg maybe you should move there. At least as an Australian you won't be laughed at anymore-the Howard government has finally engaged Asia on EQUAL terms and repealled the policies of appeasement pursued by Keating. As for Mal Fraser...jeez he did well with Zimbabwe didn't he!? But thats another issue.
Posted by wre, Thursday, 22 December 2005 10:44:45 AM
An intersting turn of events in the incident in the cricket in Perth, where South African players were called "Kaffirs" by some sections of the crowd. I lived in Zimbabwe for several years in the 80's and visited apartheid South Africa a number of times. As anyone from that part of the world knows, "Kaffir" is an extreme form of abuse for a black person, a term widely used in the apartheid era.

Perth has a lot of white migrants from South Africa, and it seems SOME of them now feel it is ok to come out with their old racist behaviour.

I think this is symptomatic of the effect of the Howard "dog whistling". His mixed messages about racism. There is now a feeling amongst those people that old racist attitudes are acceptable, and they are now resurfacing. Strong leadership could give the message that people of all races need to re-examine and ditch any old racist attitudes. Howard has failed to give this leadership and the consequences can now be seen. He hasn't necessarily caused the racism that is present in various sections, but he has exploited it, and made it almost acceptable to voice those attitudes. Australia is a much poorer place for it, compared to 10 years ago.

I've met a lot of racists in my time in places like the old South Africa and Zimbabwe, and not one of them ever recognised their racism. Their common refrain was "I'm not racist, but ......."
Posted by AMSADL, Thursday, 22 December 2005 10:46:38 AM
Yes I agree totally that Australia is so racist because

A. We banned western music because it is corrupting influence. Opps sorry Iran
B. Beheaded Christian Girls…Nope sorry somewhere in Asia
C. Religious strife where murder and bombs against authority used…Opps sorry again that’s southern Thailand.
D. We force a particular race from farms and in turn enable famine to fester – Opps sorry somewhere in Africa.
E. Have whole tribes fight each other and cause 100’s of thousands of horrible deaths chopping and slaying and famine and a refugee crisis – opps sorry that’s Africa again.
F. Detain millions in death camps – opps sorry that is other government “differences of opinion”
G. Deny people ability to practice their religion or customs with out fear of reprisals
H. Contribute to Iraqis freedom – opps sorry cannot count that even if Iraqis want it because “the natives” cannot appreciate democracy (of course that’s not a racist attitude).
I. Has the third largest % of foreign population below NZ and Luxemborg. Obviously everybody must hate coming here. All these racist or we would be 1st Damn it.!!
J. Is 12th most donor per capita (Canada is 13th source - nationmaster.com) the government must really hate doing that. (maybe trying to keep everyone away). And that materialist attitude that allows a country to donate, well it must be a very very bad thing.
K. Australia is racist because all detaineed “refugees” are genuine (What was that name of the Pakistani opps sorry Afghan, family again?) and so we must let everyone in no questions asked. Do not worry if one just happens to be up to no good and potentially kill – We will still all feel better.

Obviously I could source more points about Australia is racist but I think I added to the proof.
Posted by The Big Fish, Thursday, 22 December 2005 11:17:48 AM
My my...what a spiteful article! Dare I say, Greg Barns is viciously intolerant of those who don't share his views.

Racism and xenophobia, in the context Greg Barns uses, appears to be more complimentary than insulting. Good 'ol namecalling.

What exactly do we fear? Well I fear Greg Barns!

The protest rally in Sydney has done wonders for this country in that it has exposed the Aussie bashers among us. Any pride in being 'white' is ridiculed and demonised. Whereas Black pride, arab pride, asian pride (oh and gay pride) is heralded and praised. It is a complete waste of time trying to please the people who despise you.

Face it mate, Aussie is predominately a white country. A sort of a imaginary multicultural place with a diverse, cherry picked ethnic minority. Cheers to proud whites everywhere, boo to self loathing whites everywhere.
Posted by davo, Thursday, 22 December 2005 11:21:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 42
  8. 43
  9. 44
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy