The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Accept it - Australia is secular, liberal, democratic > Comments

Accept it - Australia is secular, liberal, democratic : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 8/12/2005

Irfan Yusuf argues Australia is a secular, liberal and democratic nation where anti-Muslim bashing should not occur.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Racism is always brought up when events like this happen...rightly so. But the underlying cause?

Read this as MAYBE one cause.

http://www.quadrant.org.au/php/archive_details_list.php?article_id=581
Posted by The Big Fish, Monday, 12 December 2005 10:28:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi
The cronulla riots indicate a growing trend among australians of all backgrounds to be getting sick of abuse predominantly from australians with a lebanese background. I would also like to say that i grew up in the middle east but am of anglo saxon background. I would add that the arabic culture that I lived in was extremely accpeting of western culture. The problem in Australia is that lebanese minorities have been abusing there rights. I feel that these people feel that they have a right to 'inflict' there culture upon Australia and that they should adhere to there religon and culture this predominantly being through girls having to cover up, not wear make up etc. Now this to me is too much you cannot possibly come to a western country especially one such as Australia and expect girls to cover up. If Muslim women wish to cover themselves then theres no problem with that. If Australian people were forcing muslims to adopt christian values then obviously it wouldnt be acceptable. Australian people accept and in many cases embrace muslim culture. I remember during ramadan in the middle east it would be common courtesy not to eat or drink in public it was a very easy and simple way of showing respect. So why again i ask would muslim people of predominantly lebanese backgrounds come here and not expect to have to show the same respect. I am strongly against violence of any form but i do see why the riots in cronulla occurred. If anglo saxon people went to Lebanon or any muslim country and began to abuse the muslim society there would be outrage and rightly so. So why are Lebanese muslims so shocked and upset when there own people come to a country and begin abusing there rights. As to the issues of gang violence and assault by people of Lebanese backgrounds There is no excuse. Lebanese community leaders should use cronulla as a lesson for young male Lebanese that there will be consequences to there actions and that they should start respecting the Australian culture
Posted by adams181818, Tuesday, 13 December 2005 1:37:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Aussies at Cronulla didn't just decide on the spur of the moment to hate the Lebanese. It took years of abuse by the Lebanese with the final straw being the bashing up of life guards. Would any fair dinkum Australian even think of bashing up an icon? As for the bleeding hearts that call the young whites of Cronulla thugs,at least they protested in daylight and not undercover of the night. Are the lefties still glad we got rid of the White Australia Policy. I for one am proud that the youth of Cronulla are standing up for their rights.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Tuesday, 13 December 2005 6:31:34 AM
No Philo I am not saying that Australian youths initiated the riots: I am in no position to say that. Equally I am in no position to say that the posturing of Lebanese (or any one else) youths was what instigated their response - These event are far beyond the school yard "he started it" type of allegation. Did the reprehensible behaviour you describe from supposedly Muslim youth just emerge from the out of the blue? - there are some here who will say of course; I dont exceptt that.

I did say when it comes to attacks on minorities we have form - we went the Chinese at Clunes in 1873-74, we attacked Southern Europeans at Kalgoolie in 1919 and 1934 - while industrial in nature there were strong racist over tones in each instance. And we've done a job on the aborigines over time. There were/are strong rascist over tones in Sydney this week.

Kym D
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 13 December 2005 8:23:13 AM
They say that Anti-Muslim is only something for idiots! One no longer hears this lie in Australia. But one still reads it in the Islamic press abroad, and Muslims whisper it here and perhaps some Multiculturalists lackeys still think that. We smile in response, and note that the Muslim have never produced a single creative man, but that all great men in every country have been implacable opponents of the Muslim. Some "intellectuals" may be distressed when one doubts their understanding, but we will follow the battle cry against Islam that all of the great men of our past have made!
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 13 December 2005 8:58:07 AM
The above post is part of a speech by Nazi's in 1936 about Jews all I've done is replace Jew with Muslim scary hey.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 13 December 2005 10:47:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy