The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Michelle Leslie - please explain > Comments

Michelle Leslie - please explain : Comments

By Salam Zreika, published 23/11/2005

Salam Zreika argues Michelle Leslie should explain the inconsistencies in her dress to the Australian public.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I am very cynical concerning this woman, especially when talk of her selling her story has surfaced. It seems obvious she is only a pretend muslim, who has been helped behind the scenes by her millionaire boyfriend, and connections to Indonesian Government Minister's son, from which she recieved very good advice, and possibly some help with the length of sentenence sought from the prosecuters. If she is going to tell a story, it should contain the truth, the "whole" truth, and nothing but the truth. The ramifications for current Australian inmates, and future one's could be enormous. As the Indonesian Courts are likely to toughen their stance even further, following the knowledge that they have been duped. Michelle Leslie should be ashamed of herself, not only for not taking responsibility for her actions, but also for leaving her compatriates in a worse position, by her deception. This is not the Australian way.
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 10:10:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must commend Michelle for her courage in adopting for no matter how long the mantle of Islam; she clearly does not read the vitriol poured on our Muslim brothers and sisters in these pages by some of our fellow citizens. If she did she surely would not have associated herself with them -

but she clearly is no bomber, muslim or not, as there is very little in the way of explosives she could smuggle in now she has returned to the minimalist style of clothing she really prefers.

I guess when your 24 and faced with the prospect of 15 years in the slammer you would do pretty much anything to get off the proverbial hook. I dont really blame her for that.

I would accept a simple - "I did it becasue I was scared" - if she were ugly I doubt whether the press would be too bothered with her at all or any one else for that matter.
Posted by sneekeepete, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 10:35:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think because Islam is only of minor significance as a religion in australia that no one much cares whether she has or she hasn't converted. What people care about is whether she was just bullsh*tting by dressing up for strategic advantage.

Of course to the average aussie it is highly offensive to see any one of our number dressed up in such an ugly fashion and in order to pretend they are not who they really are. They are australian and have no need to hide their dignity behind such awful things.

On the other hand as usual, the media can wear a little blame too, it just loves to put big pictures of pretty girls on its papers and stir up a controversy over an individual's actions that have nothing to do with the rest of us. She hasn't broken any law by with her fancy dress efforts so we can all basically ignore it as bad legal advice and poor personal behaviour. Its pretty poor form though no one can deny.
Posted by Ro, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 10:36:15 AM
It was so obvious.....the change in dress code......the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.....well we shall just have to wait and see....then again if she takes the advice of the PM and the Foreign Minister we might never know.....which wouldn't be such a bad thing......perhaps the truth can wait a while and Ms.Leslie can wander around incognito.....perhaps a paper bag over her head might suffice.......
Posted by finbar, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 10:40:40 AM
So, some none-too-bright model might (or might not) have falsely claimed to be a Muslim convert to help her cause. Do the knee-jerkers really believe that Indonesian judges are silly enough to fall for such a shallow trick, if it was a trick?

It seems that Salam Zreika does think the judges would be taken in. But, let's not let common sense get in the way of a chance to take umbrage on behalf of Islam.

Get over it, Salam. We just don't take religion that seriously here, and we are used to shysters using Christianity to hide what they really have up there sleeves. One now dead politician, in particular, was notorious for it.

And ask yourself, Salam: is this "outrageous" action you take as an affront to your religion worse than that of your co-religionists who use Islam as justification for terrorism?
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 10:44:44 AM
If I was looking at 15 years for two pills in Indonesia, I too would immediately don a burqa and proclaim my conversion to Islam happened years ago. Schapelle is probably spewing that she never thought of it first.
Posted by crocodile, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 11:13:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy