The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Identity tags > Comments

Identity tags : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 15/9/2005

Stephen Hagan argues Indigenous Australians should not have to endure racist tags and marginalisation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Stephen, Good one bro,
I'm going first here just for fun. The luddites who think naming racism is akin to being politically correct will no doubt swarm in with remarkable comments. Isn't that Mike Colman a first class w*anker!
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 15 September 2005 10:51:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't believe it. Fighting racisim is still an uphill battle. I feel totally sick and ashamed to be called an Australian with comments like these on talkback radio and in the papers. I'll never buy the courier mail again. How sad can it be when there is something positive happening in the community for ind. people that other extremely sad people can so callously bomb a success story to smithereens. I really do believe these people have no depth of understanding and wonder how can they possibly be allowed the weighty responsibility of being published.
Posted by minuet, Thursday, 15 September 2005 8:27:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day Stephen

Thank you again for a first class article. And once again I have no criticisms. You are the expert - not me.

Colman's remarks are apalling and I will be telling him so.

Some time ago I lived with an Aboriginal bloke in Townsville. For six months my social experience was with Aboriginal people. Erika Kyle shared food with us and stayed in our home. I learned heaps from my "black fella" friends. I will always hold that experience in my heart.

Thank you for trying to teach we ignorant non-Indigenous people.

I cringe when I hear and/or see negative comments about Indigenous Australians.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 15 September 2005 8:39:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen Hagan thinks that calling white people who he does not like "rednecks" is OK, but white people calling aboriginal people who they don't like "niggers" is not OK.

Stephen Hagan demands an end to racism, but he does everything he can to entrench racial division in this country by demanding that aboriginal people be treated as a race apart from everybody else. "Indiginous" only football teams which are racially exclusive are OK, but "whites only" football teams which are racially exclusive are not OK.

The most amazing aspect of Stephen Hagan's articles is the clear contradictions and double standards which he applies to everything "aboriginal." That so many supposedly "intelligent" , educated people are unable to comprehend this self evident doublethink does not say much for "progressive" educations.

Any group of people who put themselves apart from the rest of society will be judged upon their group behaviour. If their behaviour is perceived by the rest of society as unacceptable or threatening then they will be considered hostile and they will have uncomplimentary names applied to them. It has always been thus and always will.
Posted by redneck, Friday, 16 September 2005 5:07:30 AM
Alot of Indigenous australians are confused. They seperate themselves from society ,then except society to embrace them with open arms. They knowingly create barriers around themselves to keep non-indigenous people out. That is racist it self! I think society needs to stop treating indigenous people like babies, they are quite capable of looking after themselves. It's time people see through these childish, attention seeking games. You can't suceed in life by playing the victim. If you want something, go and get it like everyone else. If you want people to be accepted your culture then you should accepted theirs.
Posted by Amel, Friday, 16 September 2005 7:18:25 AM
This article gives me the impression that non-indigenous australians are tagged too...
Posted by lisamaree, Friday, 16 September 2005 5:16:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy