The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Identity tags > Comments

Identity tags : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 15/9/2005

Stephen Hagan argues Indigenous Australians should not have to endure racist tags and marginalisation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
The past treatment of aboriginals was unfair.
The present treatment is racism by stealth.
Human beings are the most successful parasites on the planet.
There is a strong tendency in all of us to externalise our problems.
Aboriginal history is fragmented and subject to being reinterpreted and rewritten regularly. I've asked about the stolen generation and how many aboriginal people ended up at the institutions etc. for reasons other than being stolen, and was told none. All stolen.
At the same period in history, there were non-aboriginal people in these places for various reasons.
Its a shocking past to have, we must not forget that .
But at the same time we have to move on.
As the girl before explained, its hard to move on when directly faced with stuff like that.
If we all make the effort it will get slightly worse for a while then be much better than before.
I disagree with separate laws for any part of Australian society.
And I'm not going to beat myself up over things that happened before I was born.
If I behave in a certain way, I'll expect derogatory remarks and marginalisation.
Posted by The all seeing omnipotent voice of reason, Thursday, 29 September 2005 11:57:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh,do not think that being WHITE is a panacea for prosperity in a place where feudal caste-rule rules.
Posted by MichaelK., Friday, 30 September 2005 1:03:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In response to Pred.

I am a 19 year old Indigenous girl from the NT and I have experienced racism from a number of white Australians. However, I do not think that they should be excluded or denied human rights as I think that is appalling and horrendous. However, what they need is to be educated about Indigenous people and issues. And I suggest that you learn too, because the chip on your shoulder that was ignited from a bad incident that was non-directly or directly influenced by an underlying social disadvantage that all Indigenous people face has blurred your vision
Posted by Minnie, Tuesday, 18 October 2005 3:04:32 PM
Of course, racists cannot be CAPITALLY PANISHED - murdered. Terrorists on spot – that is everybody with a DIFFERENT appearance might be believed to be terrorists CAN and SHOULD be killed, according to Howard’s draft of Anti-Terro Bill.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 19 October 2005 12:31:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy