The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Identity tags > Comments

Identity tags : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 15/9/2005

Stephen Hagan argues Indigenous Australians should not have to endure racist tags and marginalisation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ha! So "Redneck" does not like being called a "Redneck"? Its so good
I'm going to print it out and put it on my wall. LOL
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 16 September 2005 5:42:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen Hagan,

In the cultural wake of terra nullius and propriety property theft, it is not necessarily ‘the tagging’ that makes certain sections of the non-Indigenous community happiest, but the almost endorphin-like release of racial vindication, that overt discrimination elicits.

Constitutionally, we are all equivalent, but a proportion is also indigenous; ie. more than constitutionally equivalent.

Imagine being a part of the privileged sector: greater than the multitudes by virtue of indigenousness and more advantageously representative throughout every sector of social standing.

The reality, as we all know, is quite the opposite. Indigenousness undermines constitutional equivalence BECAUSE AUSTRALIA IS A RACIST SOCIETY!

When Pauline Hanson championed “One Nation”, I wondered, which one? Warlpiri? Gnarringman? Guugu Yimithirr?

How would the multitudes cope with fifty-degrees in un-airconditioned block dwellings in the Tanami Desert and without socio-economic potential?

I remember in the early nineties, pulling over to consider the well-being of an unexpected indigenous presence between Lajamanu and Kalkaringi, to find that she had been kicked out of her family car for challenging the sobriety of her driver-husband the night before.

I imagined Ministers of Indigenous Affairs being dumped unceremoniously into the nocturnal landscape of the Tanami and then subjected to the unforgiving ferocity of the day.

Would they survive? Doubtfully. Would they require redress? Unequivocally.

As it was, the lady in question accepted some water, but opted to wait for a lift in the opposite direction.

How cool is that?
Posted by Neil Hewett, Friday, 16 September 2005 9:39:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wrong again, Rainier. Call me anything you like. Racist names do not worry me a bit. The Germans used to call my uncle Clate a "Tobruk rat" and he and his mates actually liked the title.

What I am pointing out is that people like Stephen Hagan, who wrote an article about "Out Rednecking the Rednecks", is a person who is so supposedly outraged at the "racist" title of some football stadium in Queensland that he never shuts up about it. Yet he sees nothing wrong with calling white people racist names.

Now, either Hagan is genuinely against racism or he is not. He can not have it both ways. The fact that Hagan's stand against racism is entirely selective should indicate to you that his motives may be a lot less pure than what you wish they were.

I personally have nothing but contempt for Hagan because I think that he is just another black demogogue using aboriginals as a means of promoting his own self interest. The world has seen a lot of those particular specimens in the last 50 years in Africa. One wonders who Hagan works for? He is probably another government funded critic who feasts at the public table and complains about the service.
Posted by redneck, Saturday, 17 September 2005 4:40:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Wrong again, Rainier. Call me anything you like. Racist names do not worry me a bit".

Ha!

You crack me up cos you did it again
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 17 September 2005 9:28:47 AM
Stephan Hagan - thanks for another fine article. Colman, Sattler and all the other racists in the media aren't just being racist - they are selling out Australian journalism, encouraging the redneck element in our midst and giving solace to those like "Redneck" who try to play the victim card when they are clearly the mean-spirited troublemakers.

What sort of person promote themselves as a redneck considering that the "uneducated prejudiced person[s]" (Mac. Dict.) can be associated with the rednecks of Southern US who lynched "niggers".

"Out Rednecking the Rednecks" had little to do with race but with attitudes and agendas. The conclusion that that article is racist is invalid. If you don't want to be associated with rednecks then perhaps you "Redneck" (and the rest of your mob) should have a rethink (without consulting your right-wing propaganda).

We are all cultural supremacists to some extent but certain rednecks, like "Redneck", and are just plain racist. Rednecks can change their attitude to a more positive, helpful, understanding attitude but Indigenous folk can't change their Indigenousness.

The only reason that you would rile against such positive and affirming actions of Indigenous peoples who are trying to change their circumstances and point out the mis-informed thinking and consequent negative attitudes of the wider commmunity towards the Indigenous minority is because of a racist attitude.

The racist mob support the political incorrectness of the likes of Sattler and his racist take on things but condemn Indigenous folk on the most feeble grounds with shock and horror at some supposed breach of political correctness when they (Redneck and Co.) state their position.
Posted by rancitas, Saturday, 17 September 2005 3:08:32 PM
I love it when my supposedly morally superior opponents who pretend to be SO concerned about racism put negative racist labels on “uneducated, ignorant” white people. Ever heard of the term “doublethink”, Mr Rancitas?

The only reason why I “rile” against the concept of aboriginal self determination is because it self evidently does not work. How long does a noble idea have to fail before people like you stop looking for excuses and scapegoats and begin to consider that your cherished ideals were wrong all along? Of course, you would then have to admit that the rednecks were right al along and that would be a particularly unpleasant piece of crow to eat.

Could I try to stimulate a bit of neuronal activity in your atrophying brain by pointing out that journalists today have simply become far more balanced in their reportage. Many have realised that something is fundamentally wrong with the trendy left wing principles which have for too long directed their pens. Championing dismal failure has always been a difficult task for a journalist and sooner or later they can be relied upon to think for themselves instead of parroting the trendy lefty party line that is obviously leading to disaster. Although, you might be heartened to note that there are still plenty of old dinosaurs entrenched in the ABC media Workers Collective who have managed to pull up the drawbridge and keep the faith.

As for the idea that I am now politically correct, well gee, you might have a point there. But you would then have to concede that we rednecks are the new rebels fighting against entrenched vested interests, while you and Rainier are the new Conservatives fighting to maintain the status quo ante.
Posted by redneck, Sunday, 18 September 2005 6:19:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy