The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mistaken diagnosis for terror > Comments

Mistaken diagnosis for terror : Comments

By Geoffrey Brahm Levey, published 4/8/2005

Geoffrey Brahm Levey argues multiculturalism's critics on both the Left and Right are wrong.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Geoffrey,

Didn't you know about the Sins of the Fathers causing the early problems of multicultulism after WW2 and the declared end of colonialism? But it was pretty hard to end it because Queen Victoria had declared herself Empress of India. But Gandhi fixed all that.

But still there were problems, Harold Wilson having to promise citizens of the West Indies that they were now citizens of the UK, the home country. The same applied to Indians and Pakistanis, Britain becoming crowded with dusky non-whites.
Yet some say it was not really legal but only a non-written promise. Charles de Gaulle thus decided to sign a documentation that all people from former French North African colonies were now citizens of metropolitan France, which now has France properly multi-coloured.

So blame Europe for trying to grab countries that still had humans in them, the Biblical Sins of the Fathers really coming to fruition in modern times.

George C -WA - (Bushbred)
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 4 August 2005 1:40:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Geoffrey.

I agree that people should not blame multiculturalism. I also agree that many opponents of multiculturalism use their critiques to hide their xenophobia (Akerman, Bolt, Albrechtsen etc).

Some neo-Conservative commentators seem to think that there is something inherently conservative about hating people because of the colour of their skin or their ethno-religious heritage.

My objection is to state-funded multiculturalism. I object to governments funding certain organisations claiming to have representative status. Whilst sub-contracting social welfare services seems good in theory, in practise it has led to the formation of ethnic rotten borroughs which suck government funds and use them to build ethnic political empires.

This is what has happened in the Muslim communities. As a result, talented young Muslims such as the Dureihi brothers can only find a voice in fringe radical groups like Hizbut Tahrir.

Many ethno-religious bodies are now beginning to realise that matters are out of their hands. Thankfully, some ordinary Muslim Australians have taken it upon themselves to act as whistleblowers, exposing the corruption of some of these organisations. Their misuse of funding has now turned into a national security issue.
Posted by Irfan, Thursday, 4 August 2005 2:19:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Geoffrey Brahm seems to believe that there is no proof that multiculturalism has not worked. Note that I did not say "does not work", because it can work and one day when all peoples of the earth are sufficiently open-minded, tolerant and respectful of others(as long as no one's views are discriminatory) then such a commonsense phase in human evolution will no doubt be instituted. But now is not the time for certain cultures, and this is obvious, that's right Geoff, there is evidence everywhere. Look at any Western nation and you will no doubt see that most (except Japan who are still extremely ethnocentric and racist, as are most asian cultures) have undergone severe demographic changes in the past fifty years(ABS figures have Aust. at 8.5 million anglos out of total 20 million people). Take Australia:this nation wholeheartedly extended a full welcome to many peoples from many places, and two of these stand out as bad choices - Middle-eastern and Vietnam. They have situated themselves at Bankstown/Punchbowl and Cabramatta/Fairfield respectively and it just so happens that these are also the country's crime capitals in the most sickest of crimes including drugs, murder, robbery, manslaughter, car reburthing and now even gang rape. These places together with their Melbourne diasporic counterparts are more than 75% of our nations' most serious crimes (add up the figures yourself for LGAs in ABS data-then cross reference this data with the demographic population proportions of these areas).
While their community leaders continue to deny a problem of fundamental disrespect that their people have for the wider white community, and this is why they have not integrated into society while some other groups (such as Chinese and Indian)have done very well, that the problem is internal to them and is one of racism and ethnocentrism, then it will all just get worse and kids will continue to want to blow up "white flesh" to alleviate the rage that their own culture produces.
WHITES ARE THE ONLY NON-RACISTS...
Posted by M.S.Burns, Thursday, 4 August 2005 3:41:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The biggest problem with a multi cultural policy which does not spell out the prevailing Anglo European cultural expections to all new comers to this land, is found in Burnsy's last line.
i.e. 'latent reaction' passionate, overdue, and vociforous. I personally would leave out the 'white' bit, and replace this with 'Judao Christian'.

Our failure to define 'Australian Culture' in Judao Christian/Anglo Europoean terms, to promote and celebrate it and to teach it in education to ALL, repeat ALL newcomers is the closest thing to our own self destruction as anything. I would call it cultural masochism.

The very idea that to teach our own history and poetry and exploits to all and sundry might be remotely 'offensive' to some minority group is above all the worst of insults and is intolerable.

The idea that my wifes village, and her ethnic family, would tolerate someone from a different culture coming in and living, celebrating,exercising a different culture among them as if the host did not exist is lunacy. They would tolerate it as far and ONLY as far as it did not conflict with the existing norms. Failure to comply would mean immediate ostracization and explusion, can anyone call this 'racist' ? of course not, it is simply cultural survival,and a solution to a very bad ill mannered uncaring visitor.

BRUSH. I tend to agree with all you said this time. Well observed.

Irfan. the only problem with Islamic Radicalism is the 'Islam' bit :)

"The more we come under pressure the more we return closer to Islam," said Wassim Doureihi yesterday.

The PM makes some comment about 'mutual responsiblity' etc. and this lunatic responds with
<<<
"He is implying we should not advocate an Islam that is a threat to Western capitalism."
>>>

Irfan, as long as guys like yourself are happy to 'out' these real threats to all of us, I'm happy. We can take up 'other' matters anytime :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 4 August 2005 5:10:40 PM
The things people say.

"...demographic changes in the past fifty years(ABS figures have Aust. at 8.5 million anglos out of total 20 million people)"

What are considered "anglos" in this context, I wonder. According to the ABS summary of the 2001 census, some 72.6% were born in Australia, and a full 80% describe their ancestry as "Australian, English or Irish.

Would M.S.Burns care to share his source that says there are more than 50% "non-anglos" living in Australia?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 4 August 2005 10:30:28 PM
The concept of multiculturism has failed because it encouraged ethnic groups to maintain their cultural identity without having a competent grasp of English.We have insular ethnic enclaves that have no desire to be apart of the wider community.Our Govt policies have actively promoted segregation by not insisting that English is spoken well by all.

In our desire to keep economic growth/living standards and our justification for inhabiting this vast continent with a small population, we have accelerated the pace of social change beyond the reasoning or tolerance of of ordinary Australians.We are losing our own cultural indenity.Hence we have a backlash of fear and insecurity.It is time to slow down the pace of social change,or suffer the chaos of conflict and resultant poverty.

If we bring a third world mentality here on masse,we will end up with a third world economy.Perhaps the likes of Geoffry Brahm are happy with this outcome.Do they find some sort of nobility in poverty?

I for one like the time to think beyond the mundane routine of survival that many third world countries are enslaved in,because of their attitudes and over population.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 4 August 2005 10:32:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy