The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mistaken diagnosis for terror > Comments

Mistaken diagnosis for terror : Comments

By Geoffrey Brahm Levey, published 4/8/2005

Geoffrey Brahm Levey argues multiculturalism's critics on both the Left and Right are wrong.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
RANCITAS.

Was that post somehow directed to my last one ? Hmm.. seriously, I can't quite see why you came with the 'cultural superiority' thing ?
I'm not and have not said our culture is 'superior'..in fact I've gone to great pains (I thought) to point out that it is just 'ours'.

I quite agree that anyone thinking his own culture is 'superior' to others in a kind of canonical sense, is indeed way off the mark and a bigot.

You keep on with this 'hatred/divisive/attacks' kind of retoric and I'm continually mystified about why.

All of the points you made do apply quite well to the 'cultural supremacist' who believes his culture is a) the best and c) that all other races should share it. (after all, because his is the best..right ? ) but this is not not not what I'm on about.

I maintain, that people 'are' what their culture makes them, by simple socialization. What you were suggesting was bordering on if not right on the very thing you were railing against.. the 'culture' of science..... you seem to be suggesting that all people should share specific values based on science. I have to disagree vehemently with that view.

If we 'are' a product of our cultural socialization, then to attack this, is an attack on the self esteem, dignity and human-ness of the person.
I repeat, its simple good manners to bow to a prevailing culture when one goes to a new country. It would be probably the one instance where I do believe in the 'political correct'ness of it.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 11 August 2005 6:39:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz: No Boaz I was not directing my blog at you. I was sharing an opinion in relation to Geoffrey Bram Levey’s article, especially, the last two paragraphs. Most of your assertions are incorrect. You are misinterpreting my blogs. I did not read the comments before posting mine. I wrote something similar months ago in a letter to my daughter. I did not say some of the things you claim I said. I am not railing against the things you believe that I am railing against. My use of ‘we’ in my post refers to society in general, not you and I. If I didn't mention you. My response was to the article and to share some ideas.
Yes I do avoid getting into endless tit for tat with bloggers clearly pushing a “cause” - especially ones that I think are dangerous, repetitive and politically unsound. This is a multi-cultural society. I will not be pressured into accepting something that is not my authentic choice.
Re: hate/divisive/attacks, I followed some suggested URL’s from this forum which were just that –hateful and divisive. Yes I think the constant haranguing of anyone who dares to offer different opinions, support for multiculturalism and religions other than theirs is divisive and unhelpful. It displays contempt for others’ intellect and ideas.
My blog’s point is simple. Again. Racism is an absurd notion the science proves it. ( After that there is no more alluding to science in my blog as claimed.) We (that is society in general) need to find other non- racist language to express difference. Difference, I think, should be identified in our actual behaviour and our way of life – not our ethnicity or colour. I think - to do otherwise is a type of racism. Christ said that we will know them by the fruits they produce – not their colour.
Posted by rancitas, Saturday, 13 August 2005 10:03:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When a person makes a choice to live a certain way, by the very fact that he or she makes that choice, that person must regard that decision as the best choice for them to live an authentic life. Thus by the very fact that we make the myriad of choices that comprise our culture - we are signalling to others’ which culture we think is best for us – that is cultural suprematism. No getting around it. For instance, I think, among other groups, Protestants, Catholics, Baptists and Muslims are cultural supremacists. Doesn’t mean that they see themselves superior humans – as racists do. This also doesn’t mean that they want to convert others into their culture as does mono culture. It also confirms our multiculturalism is a good healthy democratic principle.
If we or the government start trying to unreasonably impose our choices (or opinions) on others, then we must not only be cultural supremacist - but bigots. We certainly would be undemocratic and unfair. If someone starts unreasonably attacking or denigrating someone else’s choices, then that person is a bigot (a person who is intolerantly convinced of the rightness of a particular creed, opinion or practice). I do, however, think that constructive criticism is a good thing. And persuasion is good, but different to harassment.
I think that certain groups and individuals who cannot extract themselves from the old way of thinking are blind to the multi-culturalism that is already and always will be with us. This is a multi-cultural society – if that wasn’t the case we would all have to submit to something along the lines of Hitler’s Volkish Philosphy (One idea - one people). So I say live and let live.
Posted by rancitas, Saturday, 13 August 2005 10:10:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are racists among us all, no matter white or black. We need to live and let live without kettle calling the pot black.

To be fair, cultural differences matter a great deal too.
You mostly see white protestors voicing against injustice towards other races rather than the other way around. If the table is turned, I won't imagine a lot of Asians would march out in open protest of injustice towards the whites or blacks.

During WW2, the unimaginable atrocities by the Japanese soldiers had a lot to do with their racist attitude too. I might add here that those nuclear bombs were justified. Until the Jap officially apologise to the war victims and compensate them, there always ought to be a deep dark scar in the pyschic of the Japanese history.

As for 'shipping the chinese back during the gold rush days in 1800s'...
Strange as it may sound, the degrees of racism has a lot to do with culture and the level of crisis. I would not use that incidence as a racist example against Aussies today. Rather, let me put it this way- What would have happened had those Aussies been Chinese instead? Would they have shipped those anglo-whites back to UK or simply slaughtered them?
Posted by GZ Tan, Saturday, 13 August 2005 10:51:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My earlier post is about racism.

This thread is more about cultures... and this is from me:

The claim that 'multiculturalism works' is a rhetorical nonsense coming from the naive or those with the most to lose.

I do not believe in a 'multi-cultural' Australia. I like a 'White' Australia with a fairly significant minority population of diverse culture, with the exclusion of Muslims culture. And I mean a total exclusion of Islamic culture... if possible
Posted by GZ Tan, Saturday, 13 August 2005 11:06:55 AM
Rancitas...thanx for the clarification.

Though you seem to be confusing 'imposing Christian belief' with 'imposing Christian values through democratic processes' there is an important difference. No one can impose belief, because no matter what the outside is doing, they can't control the inside.

I just feel that when the large majority of Aussies (of any race) acknowledge the Judao Christian understanding of life, that its reasonable to see that reflected in our legal and social environment.
I know one thing, if we are slack, those of a minority view on certain issues will have no apologies for imposing their values on us :) right? yes..of course you know I am on that.

I have reservations on your apparent extreme individualism 'right for them' which you seem to be applying too all and sundry. Thats just a polite way of describing 'anarchy' :)

GZ Tan.. nice to hear from an Asian on this subject, and that you make observations which did not hitherto occur to me, about it mainly being whites who protest against racism etc.. amen.
As for the 'reversing' of the 'sending the Chinese back' thing. Well done :) I've tried to make the point that they did exactly that in the Boxer rebellion, and I support them for doing so (putting myself in the position of a chinese at the time).

Small minorities usually can do very well in the midst of large majorities (unless they engage in anti social anti cultural behavior as some Muslims tend to do). The majority doesn't perceive them as a threat, and they tend to feel more of a 'large family' among themselves. So, its cool for all. Large minorities... thats a different question :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 13 August 2005 1:06:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy