The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > One nation, one culture > Comments

One nation, one culture : Comments

By John Stone, published 26/7/2005

John Stone argues to win this war, official multiculturalism should be abandoned and Muslim immigration virtually halted.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23
  13. All
Die Fahne hoch die Reihen fest geschlossen
S. A. marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt
Kam'raden die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen
Marschier'n im Geist in unsern Reihen mit

Die Strasse frei den braunen Batallionen
Die Strasse frei dem Sturmabteilungsmann
Es schau'n auf's Hackenkreuz voll Hoffung schon Millionen
Der Tag fur Freiheit und fur Brot bricht an

Zum letzen Mal wird nun Appell geblasen
Zum Kampfe steh'n wir alle schon bereit
Bald flattern Hitler-fahnen Uber allen Strassen
Die Knechtschaft dauert nur mehr kurze Zeit

Die Fahne hoch die Reihen fest geschlossen
S. A. marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt
Kam'raden die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen
Marschier'n im Geist in unsern Reihen mit
Posted by Exadios, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 9:07:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If we abolish SBS we will have the side benefit of eliminating South Park from TV. American trash that it is.

I think cultural diversity is the core to the heritage of western civilisation. However I will support almost any reform that reduces government funding of arts, crafts and culture workshops. A vibrant culture does not need state sponsorship
Posted by Terje, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 9:07:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We're under attack from extremist groups that are totalitarian & monoculturalist, and the suggested response is to make Australia more monocultural & totalitarian, provoking greater extremist totalitarian monoculturalist sentiment in the process. Brilliant idea.

I'm confused, is today an "Islam is exceptionally violent" day or an "inevitable cultural conflict" day? I guess the latter, but the author didn't want an effective halt on non-Muslim cultures and didn't draw any distinction between Western and non-Western Muslims, so I may be wrong. They're probably both excuses anyway.

It is interesting to notice the fervor with which some people malign multiculturalism. Are we to believe that there is a pandemic of intercultural violence within Australia? Or that our cultural values are at risk? Get real. Intercultural conflict within Australia didn't produce Islamist terrorism, and shutting our doors to Muslims won't end it. Cultural differences will remain, extremism will remain and there are plenty of overseas targets. There's nothing wrong with fighting the symptoms, but such measures have to be appropriate and adapted. This "solution" is clearly the opposite, an extreme measure that affects people entirely unconnected with terrorism.

I would very much welcome a logical argument against multiculturalism, since I like diversity and have a teensy-weensy issue with discriminating against billions of people without good reason. Also, an explanation regarding any significant usefulness of a mandatory national ID in apprehending those involved in an attack would be nice. I expect neither.

I have to congratulate those against multiculturalism for being so compassionate, for not wanting to forcibly remove people who are from different cultures. Of course, the families of those people will probably never be able to visit (security risk) and they will have to live here knowing that Australia doesn't want "people like them". Not because they're dangerous, not because they're wasting resources, just because they're different. It isn't racism (at this point) but it isn't much better.
Posted by Deuc, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 9:50:11 PM
Multiculturalism is great if it is not controlled by a Totalitarian culture as it subtly appears to be in Victoria under the Australian Multicultural Foundation. Any person espousing any form of totalitarianism must be isolated from our diverse Australian culture.

It appears that the Federal Government is unwittingly funding the exclusive promotion, protection and expounding of the religion of Islam under the cover of multiculturalism to the total exclusion of any other religious culture. Australia has experienced 200 years of religious harmony, and it now appears that the AMF agenda is to threaten religious harmony and diversity in our free and democratic Australia. The AMF recommendations on Religion to the Victorian Government give evidence they endorse the control of Religion by the State. Such a move represents a Totalitarian direction in State affairs and a move back into the dark ages and does not represent our free and Democratic Westminster System upon which Australia has been built.

The Australian Constitution, under Section 116 says, "The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, & no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth."

In my view it is violating the Australian Constitution by its exclusive promotions of a particular religion; namely Islam, using Federal Government funding.

I note in the AMF website page "Religion, Cultural Diversity and Safeguarding Australia" the only religion mentioned is Muslim. Since it is the only religion outlined by an 83 page document under this heading "Australian Muslims: their Beliefs, Practices and Institutions"

I note no other Religious culture is documented in detail so assume the other religions have no problem assimilating, without threat to Australia, into our values and way of life. I therefore believe to assist migrant Muslims we should fully educate them into our culture and religious holidays and cultural values; then because their appreciation of Australian Culture could reduce their threat to undermine the multifaith security of Australia
Posted by Philo, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 10:28:39 PM
When I'm overseas I often hear Australians proudly proclaim what a wonderful multicultural country they come from - mostly to people from other cultures.

Not once have I heard them say they would rather a mono-cultural and mono lingual nation.

Someone should instruct these Aussies on departure to rote learn the John Stone line so that they give everyone they meet the RIGHT message whilst they are abroad. We wouldn't want to world to get the wrong message about us now would we?

Its not racism, its about culture and religion! Now throw another shrimp on the Barby will ya.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 10:30:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Culture should not be focused in race or even religion; it is about national cuisine, language, and dress, national or local practises. World religions cross national and cultural boundaries so should not qualify as a cultural focus. But how much attention does the Australian Multicultural Foundation to religion give? The only focus seems to be on the Muslim religion.

http://www.amf.net.au/rsch_research_religionDiversityCohesion.shtml
Posted by Philo, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 10:52:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23