The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > One nation, one culture > Comments

One nation, one culture : Comments

By John Stone, published 26/7/2005

John Stone argues to win this war, official multiculturalism should be abandoned and Muslim immigration virtually halted.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All
Davo One Nation is a spent force, the goose stepping crowd are a fading memory. Yes there are some stragglers such as yourself but I can guess your not a member of a minority are you. Do you have any Asian friends? John thinks they shouldn't be allowed in either. You need to learn a bit of history ask the GB's on this site about the dark ages.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 5:05:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So according to John Islam is a failed culture and multiculturalism should be abolished !
I always thought that Islam was a religion as much as Christianity and John's comments demonstrate a sense of confusion about the reality.Multifaith is no substitute to multiculturalism, nor is a society based on particular religious beliefs.
It is unfortunate that we have some politicians ignoring the fundamental democratic principles and the noble values underpinning them.It is through respect of human beings that one achieves harmony.
To conveniently associate Australian Muslims with terrorism bears the hallmark of xenophobes.
There is no doubt that obnoxious organisations need to be eradicated but there is no need to subliminally villify anyone on the basis of race or creed.
One cannot escape the fact that Australia already is a multicultural society,and a successfull one at that.
Perhaps one days some of the zombies will come out of their transe and realise that it is too late to change it.
Multiculturalism has many definitions.It is quite often opposed to the notion of integration or assimilation and yet integration and assimilation have been a valuable consequence of Australian multiculturalism.
The culture of a nation is a never ending evolution and Australian culture has evolved through multiculturalism without losing its fundamental virtues. "Fair go " is still very australian.

Nobby
Posted by nobby, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 5:28:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
can i suggest that if we lose multiculturism we lose the very thing that has made western civilisation sucessfull. the ability to adapt to differing, new and diverse ideas if the foundation of this country and even more so america.

can you imagine thw world today if openhiemer had been denied entry to america because he was german? what if he had stayed and worked on the atom bomb in germany? im suggesting that by denying people simply on the basis that they are muslim is denying us the very people who can help us tackle terrorism.
Posted by its not easy being, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 7:15:24 PM
Can I suggest a variety of views on this pathetic thread, instead of a multicultural love-in?

Multiculturalism is propelled by anti-western propaganda. It is almost a vehicle for some to destroy our way of life, hiding behind some egalitarian zeal.

I don't blame Muslims for terrorist attacks on western soil. I blame the blase liberal attitudes of westerners themselves. The people who advocate multiculturalism are the ones to blame. Their carelessness makes me sick, as does their perverted obsession with diversity.

The Guardian newspaper in Britain for example, thought the staff were too white. So they employed a muslim for that extra diversity. Turns out to be a member of a militant Islamist organisation - Hizb ut-Tahrir. iDIOTS
Posted by davo, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 7:31:42 PM
I agree with its not easy being's comments. Although it is kinda abstract, i believe you can apply aspects of the chaos theory to this argument: that rigid stability is inflexible and ultimately leads to catastrophic collapse whilst diversity and the ability to adapt facilitates constant change thereby promoting longevity.

The free market is arguably the west's most successful export and is based on principles of competition and adaptability. I do believe that diversity has parallel effects when it comes to culture. Segregation breeds suspicion and intolerance. Multiculturalism perhaps, has done more than any policy to prevent terrorism by promote understanding through close interaction and assimilation.

I also think its better to leave the labeling and name calling out of these threads. Terms such as 'right wing' and 'left wing' do nothing to advance the debate. If i, a 17 year old (Chinese) high school student can refrain from name calling, than i think most of you should be able to as well.
Posted by examinee, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 7:55:41 PM
If i may add, i think its interesting to find that a study of muslim and non muslim suicide terrorism worldwide since the 80's found that foreign occupation was the overriding factor which pushed terrorists to kill themselves.

It is debatable whether this is what happened on September 11th but ask yourself this
How has Islamic terrorism changed since our reaction to 9/11?

PLease understand that i am not trying to justify terrorism, but understand that terrorism is the weapon of a disadvantaged minority. What happens when you corner an animal?

I see deportation as a passive reaction which hides the wound, letting it fester. A multicultural policy however encourages understanding of Australian values and attitudes.
Posted by examinee, Tuesday, 26 July 2005 8:15:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All