The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bosnia-Herzegovina: challenging the notion of civil war > Comments

Bosnia-Herzegovina: challenging the notion of civil war : Comments

By Osman Softic, published 22/7/2005

Osman Softic argues that Bosnia-Herzegovina was not a civil war, it was genocide and murder, not unlike the holocaust of World War II.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It is a tragedy that to this day the Bosnian genocide is still referred to as a civil war. Imagine if we referred to the Holocaust as a civil war? Blood is blood. Whoever kills one person, it is as if he killed the entire humankind.
Posted by Irfan, Friday, 22 July 2005 10:47:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Osman says :the Bosnian Serb rebellion and subsequent Bosnian Croat rebellion against the legitimately elected and legally constituted government of Bosnia-Herzegovina"... (you're serious ?)

A greater tragedy is the blindness of so many to the actual ROOT causes of such conflicts. It seems the author's time line begins from the last Bosnian election, rather than the INVASION by the Ottoman Turks in 1300s or the illegal declaration of Independance from Yugoslavia, That....is the root cause. Speaking of the 'Bosnian Serb Rebellion' is one spin on the matter. Another, perhaps even more accurate 'spin' is to describe the war as nothing more than 'fixing historical injustices and war crimes' by the Turks.(not to even mention the Arminian Genocide)

Having read the history of Bosnia just recently, it is clear that it has always been a cespool of war by this or that prince, by this or that would be Suzereign, and rebellion against such by this or that 'noble family' or 'merchant class' etc etc..... which is pretty typical of the way the world has been since Cain whacked Abel.

I find it fascinating to see here that it was the 'Bosnian Serbs who Rebelled', rather than the "Bosnian Government which betrayed Belgrade" when it declared Independance.

This tells more about how we perceive history and events, in terms of our own prejudices than anything else.

So, based on Islamic punative law, and history, the massacre at Srebreniza was simply 'payback' (historically speaking) for past crimes. Another way of putting it, is 'Historical chickens came home to roost in the Muslim Chicken coop'

The same could be said of Britain for its brutality during the colonial period.

Now, I realize that 'Islamic' massacres are 'holy' and Serb massacres are 'profain'.... that's right isn't it ? but they are all massacres.

Personally, I am just an observer, not an advocate of such things, but I do learn from them, and I form opinions about so called 'prophets' from them.

I just point to Christ, who raised no sword, gathered no army, yet overcame the might of Rome by His life changing Word.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 22 July 2005 7:24:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe it’s just me because I am feeling jaded with everything that is going on at this moment, but, I read this article and find myself thinking what is the point? I hope I do not sound too dismissive. Probably do, tired, long week.

I remember a saying along the lines “to understand where we are going we must understand where we have been”. And maybe this article will help there. Is it the right place for this?

Lets learn from history but I hope we do not dwell on it. Eg we have BD bring up “root causes” with the Ottoman invasion etc etc! If we really want to go back let’s start with the first human to pick up that bone and use it as a weapon.

The ROOT cause is that humans are flawed, and various groups of humans at times through history want power, have felt threatened, or been jealous of others. And there have been others who stand against this aggression. So far “good” (?) seems to win out. Eg. WW1 WW2, fall of communism. But lets not forget good people are flawed. As the saying goes, “we are only human”.

Irfan’s comment is the key “Whoever kills one person, it is as if he killed the entire humankind”. We really need to get this thinking into the hearts and minds of the vulnerable. I admit grudgingly that total peace is probably impossible to achieve since humans ARE flawed. But lets learn and try to avoid what happened in Bosnia-Herzegovina again. So maybe the Iraq war that removed Saddam murderous regime was, despite the flawed (there is that word again) justifications, a good thing. Yes in Bosnia the west should have moved sooner. But would the western countries been seen as now in Iraq as imposing their will on others. Probably. It is not an easy road to take. And will the west always have the stomach to tackle this? I think most people hope so.

This is all probably off the focus of the article so forgive me. Tired, depressed and tired.
Posted by The Big Fish, Friday, 22 July 2005 11:39:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh fishy one....
nice post, obviously from the heart.

I want to pick on a couple of things you mentioned. Firstly, of a general nature, your observation about 'wherever you look, its pretty depressing' (paraphrase). Actually, humanly speaking I think you hit the nail on the head. At least your observation of the human condition is spot on. The bible calls this 'original sin'.

History, and humans. They go together mate. When William the conquerer invaded Saxon England, he had on his left flank the 2nd generation removed of exiled CELTS who the saxons had murderously stolen the land from, and who had fled to Brittainy, they were not even the ones who the Saxons 'took over' but boy oh boy, they REMEMBERED. The present is meaningless apart from the connection to the past mate.

On the matter of "If you kill one person" .. sheesh, whenever this is referred to I feel quite distressed, because the one who said it murdered (literally) and committed genocide, and further he indulged in TORTURE (now admitted by some like JustDan who has verified my references)....

Fish, may I draw your attention to Christ "looking to Him, the author and finisher of our faith" There is no other like Jesus, he talked the talk and walked the walk, healing, raising the dead, casting out demonic influences, calmed storms and gave Himself for us. (with no bomb attached :)

You described the problem, and a reading of history will only confirm that we haven't changed, perhaps there is 'ONE' who is the solution :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 23 July 2005 8:53:43 PM
B-D, I am convinced that you need treatment. I know a fantastic psychiatrist that might be able to help. And I say this with all sincerity. I am not trying to patronise you. It seems you are suffering from a pathological hate, and that this may arise from some bad experiences you have had in Malaysia or elsewhere.

Bosnia is not about religion. The Bosnian leadership came from all denominations. And the enemies of Bosnian multiculturalism and independence also came from all denominations.
Posted by Irfan, Saturday, 23 July 2005 11:56:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz_David your post on trying to place Bosnia-Herzegovia into a historic perspective had me very worried. The message I gained was that the Muslims masacred had it coming to them. A very violent view, and one I expect that does not sit well with Christinity.

Irfan is being very charitable when he suggests you need to consult with a Psychiatrist. The use of violence against anybody should be taboo. It's fair enough to try and analyse the underlying reasons for violence/terrorism. It is not fair enough to accept some examples of extreme violence as you seem to have done. I believe there is a good case for your post to be deleted, it is offensive.
Posted by ant, Sunday, 24 July 2005 9:17:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy