The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My Jewish aunty > Comments

My Jewish aunty : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 5/7/2005

Irfan Yusuf tells a tale of a lasting friendship between two women – one Muslim, one Jewish.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A warm, funny and inspirational article. I love the Talmudic quote. As I tell my daughters almost daily (to a chorus of rolling eyes and an exasperated "Yes, we know, Muuuum!") what you give out, is what you get back.
Posted by enaj, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 1:46:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan,
yes, as enaj says, warm hearted, funny, and fulfilling for those at the heart of this relationship.

I have the same kind of relationship with a number of 'your mob' but recently, one Malay guy (Muslim) came along to a Christian stand we had at the Maroondah Festival, (croydon) and seeing him from a distance, I 'guessed' he would understand me and spoke to him in Malay. He had his mother in law, wife and children with him. I explained what I was doing (presenting Christ) and they were happy to listen, and even helped me with terminology where my language was lacking. There is a sense of family and warmth when you meet people of a shared national background experience (Im a white dude, and former missionary, as you know). When we had finished, they went their way with smiles from ear to ear, as I also had.

Now, lets put that same group of people in a country where the populations are more 'competitive' for the resources of Government jobs, educational opportunities, other areas. In the case of our mission station, situated near a river, but no drinkable, there was a water supply installed from the hills, which passed through a malay village, then to us and so on. Many of the older malay(Muslims) owed their lives to the medical work of our older misho's. (I've mentioned this b4 sorry to repeat), but during the water shortage, most likely the younger ones "who did not know the love experienced by their fathers" (A Pharaoh who did not know Joseph syndrome) they cut off the limited water so it did not reach us. They took it all.

Now, is this 'muslim' behavior or.... 'human' behavior. I suggest the latter. It also illustrates the problem of competitive religions/ethnic groups for resources. Its not the 'warm fuzzies' like you and your mum who drive the agenda's, its the 'young firebrands, the radicals, the 'Islamic Jihad's' etc.

..continued
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 5:18:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
continued....

They, will attempt to force people to 'take a side'. So, the stronger any community is, (which is vastly different from the host community) the more it is likely to be radicalized by those who feel 'hard done by'. When they find they are confronted by 'Haram' food at every place, that they can't bury their dead in the 'Islamic way', and are not allowed to wear the Hijab (france) etc, they will develop the 'victim' mentality and want to fight back. Forgetting totally that in the cases of migrants, they came to an existing country, and good manners alone would say "I come to YOUR country, I will accomodate my religious practices to suit, and not to offend".

But, when it comes to Islamic centres in a suburb which is massively against it, and they appeal the 'law' (code for 'politically sensitive Labor Gov't with large Muslim support bases) to subdue the residents, then, a 3% looks and feels like 90% to the rest of us.

Can you imagine for a moment, if a Muslim village in Pakistan was 'forced' by mr Musharraf, to allow the building of a Christian church right next to the mosque ? and wow, if it was an inch taller ? Oh myyyyy, u know what would happen we would hear the screaming and ranting from Australia.

In summary, 'people' today are no different from Abraham and Lot. They got along fine until "the pasture became scarce" and the suddenly instead of sitting around the campfire together, they are at each others throats "And lots Herdsmen began fighting with Abrahams"

People tend to take a mile when given an inch. I allow a bloke to park his truck on my property, (for $$) but suddenly one day, anOTHER vehicle (belonging to his side kick) appeared, and is there quite a few days a month. He didn't ask me about it. What's next, the offsider's helpers car ? :)

In Australia, your mum and her Jewish friend, can enjoy true human f'ship without the pressure of competition for resources. Lets keep it that way.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 5 July 2005 5:30:19 PM
hi.

i sent this article to a sufi e-mail group based in scotland. one of the subscribers advised as follows ...

""If we are not for ourselves, who is for us? If we care only for
ourselves, what are we? If we don't love now, when will we
start?" is a misquotation of Hillel ; the original is in the singular, i.e. "I" not "we" throughout. If it said "we", it would,
as the author wishes it to, suggest a collective Jewish responsibility towards the non-Jewish world, whereas in reality, it
suggests the responsibility of the individual Jew towards other Jews.

You may find this informative:
http://www.daatemet.org.il/daathalacha/en_gentiles1.html

Naturally, this does not imply that Jews qua individuals may not be
loving towards non-Jews ; only that by doing so they depart from Halachah."

i have no idea how accurate this is. perhaps jewish readers could assist.

B-D, it seems to me that you are determined to hate muslims, jews, malays and anyone else that does not agree with you. God bless you.
Posted by Irfan, Wednesday, 6 July 2005 2:57:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Irfan,

Agree with the article.I do have jewish friends in Australia and had met fe while travelling in Sinai/ Egypt as well. We do have a lot in common.

A point on the palestinians however, I don't believe it is a religious issue but political / land related conflict. Jewish people lived in the middle East and have contributed a great deal to the economy, art and even democracy in these countries. In Egypt, I can name few Jewish Egyptians:
" Jacob Sannoue" liberal activist/writer against the british colonialism early 20th century.
"Edmond Sidnaoui" the retail tycoon and owner of the largest retail stores chain.
"Dawood (David) Hosni" the greatest musician and artist.
"Omar Shariff" the most actor in Lawrence of Arabia and DR. Zivago.

These are Egyptian icons who belonged to the jewish faith.
The palestinian /Israeli conflict in my belief is a lack of vision
for the region. God bless good old Sadat.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Wednesday, 6 July 2005 6:35:10 AM
Ifran,
Yet again, you show that it does not matter what faith your are from to live a healthy, tolerant, compassionate life. I have an Indian friend of Hindu faith and he is similar in that he joins in all the ‘usual’ thing our group does – except when it clashes with certain tenants of his faith. And we all understand. I look forward to the days when this is a world-wide phenomenon.
Posted by JustDan, Wednesday, 6 July 2005 12:55:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy