The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why we need a new policy on refugees > Comments

Why we need a new policy on refugees : Comments

By Petro Georgiou, published 31/5/2005

Petro Georgiou argues it's time for compassion and accountability in handling asylum seekers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. All
And evolutionary development emanates from diversity not sameness, and from the courageous not the cowards......
Posted by Fiona, Thursday, 23 June 2005 11:55:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"We cannot be < insert name > unless we make other people
un< insert name >"

Hmmm…where have I seen this before?
Posted by hutlen, Thursday, 23 June 2005 12:41:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is where you heard it before:

They continue to believe that mandatory detention is fundamental to border protection and they continue to believe that this protection implies a threat.

They want us to believe that a handful of women and children are a threat to national security - but you won’t hear a peep from them about the 60,000 backpackers from Europe who stay on for years.

They got dog whistled to obey an irrational and unsubstantiated fear. They don’t really hate refugees, they hate being susceptible to dog whistling - but then going about blaming refugees
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 23 June 2005 1:06:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Backing up a minute here guys, Arjay, very nice apology accepted, but however, can you tell me what impulsive minority group it is that Rainer represents? I think you have the "to make us Australian, we have to make them Un Australian" thingy out of context. Australians have made the "them and us" happening into an art form, if not through blatancy when allowed through legislation and attitude, via innuendo and lifestyle. God, I'm gonna get beaten up over this post. Bring it on!
Posted by Di, Thursday, 23 June 2005 10:55:45 PM
We Australians, Howard’s “warm and generous people” have earned for ourselves one of the most dubious human rights reputations within the developed world; he has long been aware of the fact but now he’s aware that opposition to it is shared by more than the so called “impulsive minority”.

Things have changed for us and them this week but the same arguments from the same hand me down recipe of xeno-racism infused within the mix of a good old law and order campaign remain
Posted by hutlen, Friday, 24 June 2005 8:06:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy