The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why we need a new policy on refugees > Comments

Why we need a new policy on refugees : Comments

By Petro Georgiou, published 31/5/2005

Petro Georgiou argues it's time for compassion and accountability in handling asylum seekers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All
As I've argued previously, the best way to halt illegal immigration is to deal with the source of the problem. Ultimately this would mean eliminating poverty and oppression in the countries they are fleeing, but more practically by putting pressure on Indonesia other involved countries. Indefinite mandatory detention _just_does_not_work_ as a deterrent. If it did, we would have ceased getting illegal immigrants after it was introduced in 1994. The fact that people suddenly stopped trying to get into Australia after 2001 shows, in my opinion, that the government implemented something new to stop illegal immigration. Whether halting illegal immigration is a good thing or a bad thing is another argument, but if what you say you want to do is halt illegal immigration, then clearly indefinite mandatory detention is a waste of time and money because it just doesn't work.

So I've made my point regarding it being an ineffective deterrent. The other issue is that it just isn't fair to lock people up indefinitely. Ideally their claims should be processed in a quick and timely manner, but often this isn't possible. I see no problem whatsoever, and no one has put forward a problem, with people who have been assessed as not being dangerous or likely to abscond being let out into the community. There is no benefit whatsoever in having normal people locked up when they could be just as easily out in the community. It expensive, undignified, incompassionate, inhumane and hazardous to their health. Doctors have repeatedly said that excessive periods of detention has lead to a deterioration of the detainees mental health. Provided there is not a new continuous flow of illegal immigrants (and I suspect their won't be, as the government has done a good job of preventing illegal immigration since 2001), I see no problem with releasing them out into the community if their claims can't be processed in a timely manner.

I challenge anyone to out argue me on this issue, because I feel no one has adequately addressed my arguments so far.
Posted by Albert, Friday, 17 June 2005 9:52:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Albert,the problem as you have identified is the length of dentention.The policy is not the problem,it is our legal system that allows multiple appeals funded by the tax payer,that many lawyers activily premote to line their pockets.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 17 June 2005 10:05:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay wrote:

"Human genetics is a very imprecise science,and we have to choose not only people with abilities,but also with attitudes of openess and tolerance"

And there I was thinking he had no sense of humour. Hang on... he's probably being serious. Fascist eugenics combined with "openess (sic) and tolerance".

Yikes.
Posted by garra, Friday, 17 June 2005 10:20:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Albert, do agree. Arjay, I wasn't implying yu were racist scum, I don't think you are, otherwise I would have probably said so. You are getting a bit sensitive. Boaz David, stop being so nasty. I agree with respecting cultures wherever one is and Australians have certainly got a reputation in certain countries overseas, but it's hardly addressing the issue. And Garra, your tribute to "The Man" was very amusing, not pathetic. Re Abloke, cannot believe that someone would stoop so low and take your view so personally. That's horrible, but do you know that it was an online person, doens't say much for the wonderful anonomoty I thought we all shared.
Posted by Di, Sunday, 19 June 2005 1:00:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes garra,in every family we have a great diversity of ability.Two intelligent parents don't necessarily produce intelligent protegy.Natures' way is through diversity,so that if the environment changes we have people of varying abilities to cope with the new environment.

It is to our advantage to encourage more intelligent people to this country since on average their prodgeny will have greater ability.They must however have the right attitudes i.e. be tolerant and understanding of the dominant culture in this country.

Shouldn't the human race be progressing genetically?If the body be the vehicle for the soul,in the event of reincarnation wouldn't you want to progress to a better body?

PS,Di and Fiona I bear you no malice .There is nothing wrong with good healthy debate.When I see the stupidity that is crucifiying small business,I get a bit heated at times.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 19 June 2005 8:03:01 PM
Gee Arjay, thanks for calling me stupid and bearing no malice. It's probably the nicest thing you'll ever say to us. I get a bit heated too, however am trying hard to remember that you only live inside my monitor.
Posted by Di, Monday, 20 June 2005 9:12:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All