The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let’s not be rational about torture > Comments

Let’s not be rational about torture : Comments

By Matthew Zagor, published 1/6/2005

Matthew Zagor argues the moral and societal costs of condoning torture are unacceptable.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Trinity, what makes you think that Al Baby (sorry!) Bundy can read the alphabet unless it's swimming around in his bowl in front of him whilst he's restrained and drooling in his high chair? However, you addressed every point succintly and I got it. Absolutely right. Doug, you're a southerner? Hmmmm. would like to read more posts about your politics on this forum. Don't let the Bundy turn you off. He is now safely locked in the basement and I promise! He'll never see a full moon again. Keep posting.
Posted by Di, Thursday, 9 June 2005 12:03:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was wondering if Al Bundy was related to Ted Bundy the serial killer? Now there's a man a lot of families would like to have tortured in their darker moments. But as it has been said, how would they or we be different? The actions are the same,heinous, even if the motives are different.
Posted by Gazza, Friday, 10 June 2005 12:21:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Absolutely right on the nail Garra, all animals are equal, but some act worse than animals. I have had a major struggle with what to do with the likes of the Ted Bundy's of this world (and more recently, the Al's) and torture is tempting, (who hasn;t fantasied about putting someone in that place) but who justifies it? as was said by a previous poster. When does it become acceptable by anyone's standards? I think history has shown us that it's always been a bad thing in hindsight.
Posted by Di, Friday, 10 June 2005 8:39:52 PM
Di: I am indeed a Southerner, and a Confederate (Battle) Flag loving one too, although I haven't lived in my homeland for many years.

Which of my political views would you like to hear? I've already given my take on torture: that even if we grant that it might work, it is wrong to say so, because of the negative possible broader consequences of so doing.

I think my views on this are related to my views of the sacred: there probably isn't anything out there but matter-energy and space-time, yet in order to have a decent society, we must not state this too loudly, but rather must affirm a belief in a transcendent order.

That said, I don't go for any of the materialist attempts to explain consciousness -- I think it is a mystery. I know this contradicts the previous paragraph.

And your own views, Di? Australia has been in the news a lot, recently, mainly because of the terrible dillema of what to do with people seeking refuge there. In my opinion, it only lends additional urgency to the task of lifting the Third World out of poverty and despotism -- we have self-interested reasons to act altruistically. What do you think?

Actually Mr Bundy, we're both wrong, although you were wronger than me: the correct translation is "ein Soldat des Drittes Reichs". Sorry for the rustiness of my German.

Doug
Posted by Doug1943, Friday, 10 June 2005 11:01:28 PM
Actually Di, that thought was from 'Gazza', not me. However, I confess to having had the same thought myself, but I rather uncharacteristically chose to keep it to myself. Maybe Gazza and garra are related?

I have also suggested previously that 'Al Bundy' has a roo or two loose in his top paddock. His claim (in pidgin German) to be a 'soldier of the Third Reich' seems to add weight to that suggestion.

Hi Gazza :D
Posted by garra, Saturday, 11 June 2005 7:49:56 AM
Sorry to get you two 'G's mixed up. The good thing about it is that we have seemed to have excorcised the "Baby Al", note he has diminutised in my world! (No more spittle and froth on the inside of my monitor) Doug, very interested in your views. As an ex con-fed, where do you now live and what' falvoured real life. This is so off torture, but hey! Baby Al's off the scene!
Posted by Di, Saturday, 11 June 2005 8:08:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy