The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia can, and does, ignore human rights abuses > Comments

Australia can, and does, ignore human rights abuses : Comments

By Howard Glenn, published 22/4/2005

Howard Glenn argues that in Australia domestic law can overide international human rights standards

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Col, you did not respond to the core issue of my question to you. the one about your hypocrisy in admiring self-reliance in one group of people but denigrating it in another.

But never mind, all I need to do to dismiss your opinions is to remember your claim that you are 'as happy as a pig in mud and just need a couple of bikini clad girls to join you'.

Say no more.
Posted by Mollydukes, Tuesday, 3 May 2005 7:53:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Di - I see, when your points fail, you think you can turn the clock back 200 years and pretend the rules of yesterday apply today and also pretend no country has the right or has in fact has enacted any Bills to create Acts of Law in the mean time – remember the world is a changing place. We, in Australia, have a national right to protect our borders against freeloading illegal immigrants and a right to decide who comes and who does not.

Just remember if you want to turn back the clock - you will be back before the days of female suffrage – I suggest you beware what you ask for - real people deal with the world as it is - they do not linger for yesteryear!

Mollydukes – the main point you were making did not merit comment – I simply thought it more polite not to bother. Of course it is easy for the self righteous do-gooders to find hypocrisy when they go out and look for it – I find it hypocritical that a bunch of politically impotent tossers, with nothing better to fill their lives or spend their dole cheques on, interfere in the smooth running of our traffic networks to pursue puerile protests with disregard for real people legally going about their daily business

Dismiss my opinions all you want – I do not need your approval to post them.

However, I do not dismiss the idea of you in a bikini – the idea never even merited a thought to begin with.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 8:50:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"A simple analogy using your logic. If I was being attacked in my home and I fled next door into my neighbour's home for help - should I be arrested for trespass? According to you I should be."

Be careful using simple analogies Xena because that is all they are - simple.

Consider this

I am being attacked in my home and I flee next door to my neighbours house - except I do not tell him I am coming but sneak through the back window and sleep in his loungeroom.

The problem is though, I do not actually know my neighbour and he wakes up in the middle of the night and finds me breaking into his house. He calls the cops and I do get arrested for trespass because that is what i have done.

But, just say I was getting attacked in my own home and my next door neighbour didn't have a good heating system. I climb over ten fences until I get to a nice big house with plenty of space, even though I would have been safe as soon as I got out of my own yard.

Of course i don't claim ownership of this new house and as soon as the intruder is gone from my house I move back there. Even though I would really, really like to live in the big house, it is now safe to go home.

Keep up the fight Col (you nasty Nazi)

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 4:38:34 PM
tus - I had to keep it simple I was using Col's logic.

Whereas you have ventured into soap opera territory with your little story - more plot devices than in an episode of Neighbours.

LOL to all.
Posted by Xena, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 6:32:14 PM
because things are always more complex than simple analogies.

And my story had far fewer wannabe starlets than a typical Neighbours episode. ;)

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 6:51:55 PM
Col, we have obviously hit a raw nerve about your emotions re illegal freeloading detainees for to you to lower yourself to deride us posters (and those detainees) in stereotyped baskets as either do-gooders or freeloading corrupted don't take their place in the queue. I don't know where you come from and what age you were when you came legally to this country, but my money's on a whinging Pom (sorry, is that sterotyping?). Bet you copped some flak whilst going about your legal business. I don't want to go back 200 odd years but issues generally come up because the current legislation is flawed and society moves faster than the law (like just about everything. People change legislation, just look at criminal law, employment law et al. The law is not, and should not be immutable. But it should always take into account human's, their foibles and reflect the society it has been legislated in. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be the first poster on your list to be wearing a scold's bridle!
Cheers
Posted by Di, Wednesday, 4 May 2005 7:09:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy