The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The traffic in eggs: Media hype over 30-something women > Comments

The traffic in eggs: Media hype over 30-something women : Comments

By Eleanor Hogan, published 8/2/2005

Eleanor Hogan argues that women shouldn't be defined by their fertility.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Bozzzie
well said. :)
Tim.. illuminating :)
girls ?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 1:34:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Timkins, I regard anyone who has put in the effort to obtain a tertiary education with esteem. It's not always easy. To me it also shows a degree of perseverance and interest in the world that usually goes hand in hand with intelligence. I've certainly met university educated people who, in my opinion, were idiots, buffoons, nitwits, mentally unstable, vague, foolish, misguided to name only a few, but I've met very few who I would truly regard as unintelligent.

A uni degree is certainly not the be all and end all, but in my opinion it just shows a little bit of life effort.
Posted by bozzie, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 1:56:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, I have a PhD, and an academic and public policy publications record as well. So it depends on what you think of academics & bureaucrats, and certain types of academics & bureaucrats, as to whether you think I'm a dummy or not.

The idea in writing this kind of article is to articulate a view that I believe to be shared by other women my age (with whom I talk frequently) that's not being given much representation in current debate.

After all, how many female 30-something women are leading the charge to put their fertility issues on to the public policy agenda? How many older media & public policy ideologues are steering this debate?This might also be a Gen X/BBer issue as to how much space my generation are allowed to have to voice their views/issues in public in general.

Btw, I don't think articles by Leslie Cannold are necessarily representative of the entire thesis of her work.
Posted by Eleanor, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 2:15:25 PM
Bozzie,
Education is important. I’ve done so many courses I would have trouble remembering them all I guess. However some of these courses were not all that useful in retrospect.

I put this in another forum:-

“The belief that education will solve all social problems is also naďve, as education systems can become corrupt. This is why an Academic Bill of Rights is being incorporated into a number of universities in the US. This has often come about from strong objections by the students themselves, because they felt that they were being brainwashed by leftist dogma, and were simply not learning enough that was useful.

See .. http://www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org”

Now some of these courses the US students were objecting to where feminist courses, where indoctrination was taking place. They were “male-hating” courses. I personally have heard of a male uni student who had to seek counselling outside of uni, because he had to undertake a “women’s studies” course as part of his course in Nursing. As a male he was being vilified so much during that course, he had to seek counselling. Unfortunately the counsellor lost track of the student and didn’t know if he continued the course at that uni, or gave up and went elsewhere. Those are the negative aspects of “women’s studies” you don’t here about that often.

To help broaden your understanding of what can take place in “women’s studies” please read an article at
http://www.mugu.com/cgi-bin/Upstream/People/Sommers/SISTER1.html

That article is quite funny in places, but then not.
Posted by Timkins, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 2:34:45 PM
Eleanor,
You seem to be advertising yourself and your work.

You say that you talk to women very frequently (EG “other women my age (with whom I talk frequently) that's not being given much representation in current debate.”)

However, I am wondering if you also talk to many men regards this “debate”. Of course if you don’t, then this would lead to you forming distorted or biased perceptions, as there are two genders (at least)

Of course if this “debate” is only from one perspective, then it is only a “pseudo debate”, or a debate in name only.
Posted by Timkins, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 2:57:19 PM
We are childless, in our Church we were seen by many as cursed by God. Tried to adopt but at 35 was considered toooooo old - so. I just cannot understand how we spend millions or at least hundreds of thousand of dollars harvesting eggs for an IVF programme. Then spend millions or at least hundreds of thousands of dollars killing and aborting completly healthy and normal tots. A typically stupid and inane human behaviour.

To those who are dominated by males, or have males trying to dominate them. The Bible states in very clear language the God created male and female IN HIS IMAGE. Horror of horrors females created in God's Image. So I suppose God would not be offended to be called "She"?? Though in the Bible he is called the Father but that is only for us to grasp Him. Jesus even compared Himself to a mother hen - would you believe. Regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 3:53:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy