The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The religious Right cannot hijack values > Comments

The religious Right cannot hijack values : Comments

By Kevin Rudd, published 18/1/2005

Kevin Rudd argues that the Coalition is not the only party with Christian and family values

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
The main difference between Nazism/Fascism and Communism was the colour of their shirts.

Kim Beasley's father [Kim Snr] said "When I joined the Labor Party it consisted of the cream of the working class. "As I leave, it is composed of the dregs of the middle class." Men like the great John Curtin, Jim Scullin and Ben Chifley would turn in their graves if they could see what has become of their once great Party, run by secular humanists and extreme feminists. No wonder Howard was able to thrash it last October.

Even more so if they could see the repressive "Religious Vilification" legislation of the Bracks Labor Government, which would have become Federal Law had Labor won in October. So much for that quote from Votaire which they always loved to spout: "I disagee with what he says, but I will defend to the death his right to say it." .

I hope young Kim can inject some sense into them, but he has a enormous task. Good luck Kim.
Posted by Big Al 30, Thursday, 27 January 2005 12:20:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for the personal email address, BOAZ_David, very flattering, but I would really rather not. Having all you religious nutters out here in the open is much more entertaining.
Posted by grace pettigrew, Thursday, 27 January 2005 2:09:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very true Grace, but it is pretty clear the "religious nutters" you speak of are balanced by a fair few athiest nutters as well.
Well, it is online OPINION, not online fact.
Posted by the usual suspect, Thursday, 27 January 2005 4:39:49 PM
It is a good thing that Kevin Rudd has decided not to stand for leadership of the parliamentary Labor Party.

Not only does he appear to have learned nothing from the defeat at the polls on 9 October 2004, but he has chosen to insult the people whose vote Labor needs if they are to win next time.
· Why does Mr Rudd scoff at the fact that the coalition appealed to the people with Christian moral values?
· If your party has any moral values why do your leaders make public statements to the contrary, such as opposing the definition of marriage?
· Why did Nicola Roxon tell the Marriage Forum in Canberra on 4 August 2004 that they would support the governments Marriage Law Amendment and then if elected overturn it? Could this be an attempt to appease both the homosexuals and the Christians (mutually exclusive groups) in order to gain the votes of 68% (Christians) without losing the votes of 2% or less, (homosexuals)?
· Did any Labor members or senators actually vote for the Marriage Amendment Bill 2004? I think not I am surprised that David Tollner did not point this out to show Lalor’s insincerity during the election campaign.

Mr Rudd may not see it as such but people like me are insulted by being described, as the “religious right” if our votes are wanted the insults will stop. I am not sure if the Labor Party noticed, groups like the Australian Christian Lobby were calling on voters to scrutinize the candidates in their electorate and determine who best supported Christian values, then give their preferences to the best candidate, second best etc. I have refrained from giving my analysis on the seat of Solomon because most of the candidates would be offended by it.

The Australian Democrats would do well to learn from this if they do not want to be wiped out at the next half senate election.
Posted by Ken, Friday, 28 January 2005 1:17:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy