The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hitler as the face of evil > Comments

Hitler as the face of evil : Comments

By Mamtimin Ala, published 21/6/2024

When Hannah Arendt observed Adolf Eichmann at a trial in Jerusalem in 1963, she was aghast at witnessing an average German individual, a bureaucrat, appearing so ordinary and speaking so persistently to defend his position.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
"You could say that the French Revolution was a seminal event of peace and democracy and brotherhood and equality or you could call it an orgy of blood."

Embrace the clarifying notion of "and". Seminal event AND a bloodbath.

The Uighurs genocide of course reveals the hypocrisy at the heart of the world leadership and the left in general. They'll turn away from the overwhelming evidence of the destruction of a largely helpless ethnic group and pretend that it doesn't happen while at the same time demanding that the Israeli's not defend themselves to avoid a similar genocide. Genocide and ethnic cleansing abounds in the world today - the Kurds, in Pakistan, Darfur, Sudan, North-West China. But only Israel's efforts at self-defence gets the attention of the world.

Hitler is a convenient bogey-man. As has been said, he was an also-ran in the world of mass-murdering despots, outdone by Stalin and Mao in the 20th century and people like Genghis Khan in the previous periods. Yet Stalin and Mao can't be held up as evil because they were clearly of the left and are therefore exonerated if not venerated. Hitler, while also of the left, has been successful painted (!) as of the right and therefore can be called evil. And thus he is.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 23 June 2024 4:34:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze said- "Embrace the clarifying notion of "and". Seminal event AND a bloodbath"

Answer- My point was that from different perspectives an event can be either greatness (good) or a bloodbath (evil) based on ideology.
If someone can't bring themselves to say anything good about the other side- then that's a sign they are ideologues- and not to be trusted.
I think you followed up with this in your second and third paragraphs.
Kudos.

Of course sometimes bloodshed is necessary. This argument seems to be supported by ideologues on many sides.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 23 June 2024 8:15:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze

Where is the evidence of the Uyghurs genocide outside of obvious Western propaganda?

It’s interesting to balance this tale against Chinese counter propaganda on the subject.
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 23 June 2024 8:17:11 PM
I wasn't around when WW2 eventuated but I'm always wondering as to who really started it. The invasion of one country is just that, an invasion. When other Nations then gang up the Nation that invaded a country, aren't they then the ones who turned the whole show into a World affair i.e. World War ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 24 June 2024 10:38:44 AM
"My point was that from different perspectives an event can be either greatness (good) or a bloodbath (evil)"

Yep I got that. I think I'd say that the 1789 revolution started with the idealistic and noble intentions but devolved into a nightmare. Started with greatness - became a bloodbath.

Because of the early promise, people were prepared to try again - 1830 and 1848 - in the belief that the noble aims could be achieved and the bloodbath avoided.

The 20th century experience has pretty much put an end to that type pf utopianism.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 24 June 2024 11:12:30 AM
"Where is the evidence of the Uyghurs genocide outside of obvious Western propaganda?"

There are any number of independent reports, and inquiries together with eye-witness testimony to show that the active suppression and subjection of the Uighurs is taking place. Whether that qualifies it as a genocide is in the eye of the beholder.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/4/uighur-tribunal-hears-evidence-of-alleged-china-abuses

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59595952

http://www.theatlantic.com/the-uyghur-chronicles/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53220713

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55794071

and thousands of other reports.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 24 June 2024 11:20:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy