The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Carlos conquers Carrington > Comments

Carlos conquers Carrington : Comments

By John Haller, published 17/2/2023

The 1859 CMEs really were almost death rays for a few of the telegraph operators at the time.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
A most enjoyable read! Where there is light there is hope!
Posted by Truth Seeker, Friday, 17 February 2023 8:22:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The solar storm of 2029? Well, that's not due for 6 years yet and time to protect sensitive electrical equipment with Faraday cages.

AS for the prediction per se. We don't have to face that possibility, if we transition to abundant nuclear power as MSR thorium by 2025! And only doable with a change of government at the very next election!

As for those telegraph operators in 1959, and I was around, their hair quite literally stood on end and a good time to get a flat top crew cut.

By all accounts a pair of hedge trimmers and a steady hand all that was required. One chop all that was required. The spare hair didn't fall but headed skyward and into orbit. It was a hair-raising event. TBC.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 17 February 2023 10:46:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why wait for solar storms?

We should indeed wean ourselves of electricity and electronics, but not for the reasons stated in the article (zero carbon and all that rubbish), nor for panic of the ultimate solar storm which will destroy all electrical/electronic equipment in a day, a storm that might come tomorrow, in 2029 or perhaps only in 3039.

Instead we should do so comfortably, consciously and very gradually, gently leaning towards having less of it rather than more, dropping it with ease in small bits as spiritual contentment replaces material expectations and makes all these gadgets unnecessary. No problem at all if that effortless process takes some 200-300 years.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 17 February 2023 2:20:10 PM
Yuyutsu, every pensioner is already doing with a lot less especially winter heating and summer heatwave air-conditioning. Had to sell the car because I couldn't pass a alleged medical for my licence renew. Sure, I had trouble getting from wheelchair to car. But aside from that still a good driver. That said, as a pensioner, not able to afford a car, fuel registration and upkeep. I manage on one or two meals (small) a day. Online scammers are busy trying to sell me stuff I don't need. At exorbitant prices. Like my drivers are out of date!? Nonetheless, still work as well when they were first programmed in. All this stuff about out of date drivers is fairly new and a scam, I believe. I was raised poor had SFA and know how to manage on virtually nothing. Take extreme objection by being told we need to manage on less.

As a remedy for energy that has become increasingly unaffordable. I believe the solution is not to use les and less but to manage with enough already and for mine that also includes energy that is not priced out of the poorest folk's pockets.

That means MSR thorium and MSR nuclear waste burners for energy that is so cheap and as safe as!

Moreover, burning nuclear waste as outlined incomplete safety, reduces the half-life to just 300 years. And a more than worthwhile outcome as we currently struggle under mountains of toxic nuclear waste. Why even weapons grade plutonium can be burned in the same technology for the same outcome.

At least two thirds of the homes on planet earth have no washing machine and some even have to carry the wash water or the laundry to the water. It's just inexplicable that you would believe these folk could manage with less. Shame on you, get out of your bubble and take a look at the real world.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 17 February 2023 7:26:18 PM
incomplete safety should read, in complete safety. Thankyou autocorrect.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 18 February 2023 11:05:57 AM
No, try 'incomplete', one word.

I admit that I lost interest in this article after a couple of lines. People who study writing are told to grab attention right at the beginning. This piece didn't.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 18 February 2023 11:40:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy