The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Blaming the victim > Comments

Blaming the victim : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 1/3/2021

It would have been fairer to all concerned, if these complaints had been properly investigated by police and (if merited) tried in a court.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. All
Hi mehaze,

As a nonagenarian yourself I take it you are making a backhanded reference to my years of acquired knowledge and wisdom when you refer to me as "old". In the tracking of our celestial orbits I would be going over the Moon, whilst you would be orbiting somewhere around Uranus. I thankyou for the complement.

In an ideal egalitarian world maybe it would be right and proper to hold the person seeking the position of First Law Officer of the Land, a very high office indeed, in this case Christian Porter, to the same moral and ethical standards to that required of Sam the sewer cleaning man to hold his position. The idea that society set a basic minimum standard of decency and ethics that no one should fall below is good. However, that basic standard should not be used as the universal measure when a person is being judged for the roll of say, Attorney-General of Australia, a much higher standard should be applied. In the case of Christian Porter it can be clearly seen that he may have not met the high standard of decency and ethics the community demands of one holding such a position. Porter should stand aside while a full independent enquiry is held into his suitability for the roll.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 12 March 2021 4:36:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul writes: "As a nonagenarian yourself..."

Struth, even my parents haven't achieved that age as yet. Now it might elude Paul's logic facilities, but that means I haven't either. But Paul being wrong again is what makes the day seem right.

Having had all his 'facts' (in reality, stuff told to him by the ABC that he wants to be true) shot down in a flaming wreak, Paul now meekly demands that someone investigate something that happened 30 odd years ago where one of the only two witnesses says it didn't happen and the other is no longer with us.

Logically its bonkers. But as I said this isn't about logic or women's rights, or justice. Its all about politics. Porter's a Liberal so any means to get him is OK. Shorten's not, so Paul can't even bring himself to mention that issue.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 12 March 2021 6:58:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I quote: In the case of Christian Porter it can be clearly seen that he may have not met the high standard of decency and ethics the community demands of one holding such a position.
My comment: I cannot agree it is 'clearly seen'.
Quite the opposite.
An allegation.
Allegation withdrawn.
No acceptable evidence.
A publicly stated firm and heartfelt denial.
We cannot do other than treat Mr Porter as an innocent man.
He is entitled to continue his life, and perform all duties attached to his chosen 'endeavours', without further hindrance.
I wish him well.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Friday, 12 March 2021 9:36:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy