The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The dangerous use of the military > Comments

The dangerous use of the military : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 25/9/2020

Ever since the Romans, standing armies have been viewed with deep suspicion. They are expensive to maintain, which often leads to onerous taxation, and they have an appalling record as instruments of oppression.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
I liked the first half of David Leyonhjelm's article- the explanation of standing armies, professional armies, the use of armies for policing, the value of civilian forces, etc.

The Roman Legions as I understand were generally kept out of Rome itself- with the exception of the Praetorian Guard ;) during the later empire period.

Victoria apparently now justifies repressive force due to their early mismanagement of the situation- I'm unsure if this is due to incompetence or engineered subversion.

Interestingly one poster invoked Yuri Bezmenov- there's something understated here perhaps- my understanding of Bezmenov is that being a defector from Soviet Russia he warns against Communist Subversive Tactics- not that I disagree that the Victorian Government is Communist- but it doesn't follow that the Australian Army is Communist. Interesting.

http://spectator.org/four-stages-of-marxist-takeover-the-accuracy-of-yuri-bezmenov/

There are many interesting comments posted on this thread.
Posted by Canem Malum, Monday, 28 September 2020 2:16:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz,

You said above: "Hmmm, I think I have had enough of the opinionated BSA. Most here do not have to skite about their education or lack of it."

That's because you are what I call a pseudo-intellectual.

I get it! You're unhappy because you wanted to really be a historian or archaeologist or sociologist or anthropologist or philosopher, etc. but it never happened.

You're not so you just pretend you are. I get it!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 28 September 2020 2:15:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Canum the Roman armies were kept out of central Italy after
their experience with Caesar.
He reinforced that by "Crossing the Rubicon" and entering Rome.
Still I do not think that is so much a problem these days
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 28 September 2020 2:39:01 PM
Canem Malum,

Yes CM you should pay attention to Bazz our resident pretend historian and classicist - he's full of it.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 28 September 2020 6:38:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy