The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A better way of dealing with Covid-19 > Comments

A better way of dealing with Covid-19 : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 31/8/2020

How much have we been duped and sold down the river by the response?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
the UN's labour body has warned.

OzSpen,
Well, the UN crowd still get paid & still cost the World a fortune so, making statements like that comes easy for them !
Let the UN staff get paid the same as the people in whose countries they interfere ! That'd guarantee positive action !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 2 September 2020 5:27:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"For example, what of suicidal business owners who've lost their houses and owe money left right and centre? Don't you care about them just because suicide is a choice?"

Of course I care about their situation, their plight;
The impact COVID and the restrictions are having on peoples lives.
I don't gain anything from other peoples hardship.
It's not in my best interests for those around me to be doing it tough.
I want everybody to be on top of things.

When I mentioned people taking their own life, I didn't mean it in the context of people who actually are doing so during COVID.
I meant it in the context of 'living and dying on your own terms', as opposed the virus's (or anything else's) terms.

As for those who are commiting suicide during COVID;
I feel bad for them and whatever they're going through.
I don't want them to kill themselves.

- But I've got to weigh that up.

They CHOSE to do it.
Say I'm sitting here thinking I'd really like some McDonald's.
And say someone brought me that McDonald's, I should be happy I got what I wanted right?

They WANTED to kill themselves.
They got what they wanted, in the same way as if someone brought me the Macca's I was hypothetically craving.

I had a mate that killed himself, years back.
Laid in front of a train..
So what do we think after he's gone?
"I wish I could've done something to prevent that outcome, but whatever was bothering him so much that he felt that was the only was out, well at least he's not suffering anymore."

I've got to weight that against:
Someone who diligently followed the rules, and obeyed restrictions,
And who most certainly does not want to die, least of all because of someone else's selfish attitude to be lax on restrictions, because a/ it interferes with their lifestyle, b/ cannot manage their finances better.

The bottom line is the person who kills themselves got to choose.
The person who dies in their bed of COVID has no such choice.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 2 September 2020 7:25:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You do have a choice with Covid, AC, quarantine yourself while HI is attained. In Sweden over-70's are advised to do so (gov't has a role here in which it has failed in some nursing homes, as happened in Sweden too). It would be immensely more affordable to spend on helping those who need it to quarantine rather than hibernating the economy and daily life of the vast majority, with attendant consequences.
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 2 September 2020 8:04:54 PM
Where are we going? http://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/victoria-police-filmed-handcuffing-pregnant-woman-over-anti-lockdown-facebook-post-c-1286738?fbclid=IwAR1jqerMqEyfkeH8gxHGU_iKP4vB7sJTjzFDHkE0lhgG9O5PBxL8q4wYTxk
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 2 September 2020 8:53:22 PM
In Sweden over-70's are advised to do so (gov't has a role here in which it has failed in some nursing homes, as happened in Sweden too).
Luciferase,
So, the nursing home people aren't expected to think for themselves ? They need to wait to hear from Govt before they take precautions ? I just pray our bureaudroids in Hospitals are endowed with an ounce of the sense needed for basic thinking !
Thank God the medical people think !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 2 September 2020 9:22:51 PM
Thanks CM. Yes that term "Managerialism" fits pretty well.

Seems to be what the argument always is. Some argue for state meddling in all affairs and others against because it's stifling unnecessary misdirected wrong and expensive. Every time.

Repeating myself but this hyper reaction to the china flu is just another exercise in Managerialism.

I suppose "Management" can't let go. Ever. Can't risk being unessential.
Posted by jamo, Thursday, 3 September 2020 9:44:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy