The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Preposterous political posturing > Comments

Preposterous political posturing : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 31/7/2020

I just couldn't believe it. 'Coon' is no longer to be the name of a well-known style of cheese.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Dear Don,

I regretfully inform you of the loss of your dear world. If any consolation to you, you are not alone as a witness to this sad event.

Sincerely

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 31 July 2020 8:29:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's an Australian journalist called Sarah Abo, will she have to change her surname now ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 31 July 2020 9:01:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Coon idiocy dropped off the radar after a few days. The problem now is that there is so much rubbish going on that people are switching off; they are bored stiff. Last night I watched the first episode, on YouTube, of Kenneth Clark's 13 part 'Civilisation' (1969). Clark's brand of scholarship and common sense no longer exists, but the descent into the Dark Ages has started again. Civilisations become "exhausted". People live in constant fear and look for change, disappointed when it doesn't occur. The West is ripe for picking by the new Barbarians, accelerated by the release of the China virus (we need to stop kidding ourselves that it occurred by accident or through natural causes) and our weak, incompetent politicians' deliberate shutting down of the economy. Coon cheese is nothing compared with what awaits us as we bury our heads deeper in the sand.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 31 July 2020 9:39:16 AM
Indeed, it is a mess and it does need to be opposed somehow somewhere
sometime by everybody.
My little effort will be never to buy the Coon cheese with the new name
but further I will not buy any other Devondale products.
It is only a small kickback but "Go Woke Go Broke" should be our aim.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 31 July 2020 10:26:38 AM
It took me all of 60 seconds to find this from a Charters Towers newspaper in 1908.

COON! COON! COON!
There was an aboriginal coon be-
fore the Police Magistrate this morn-
ing on a charge of having been drunk.
The nig. admitted he had been
drunk. Sub inspector Graham stated
defendant had been up three times
previously for similar charges. He
believed the nig. came to town on
Monday on business for his boss and
he got drunk. He was said to be all
right when out at work away from
town. The P.M. said if the coon's
employer were written to he might
be able to give defendant some ad-
vice. Defendant was discharged.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/214833568

So if the author is intent on implying the term has not enjoyed wide usage in this country in a racist fashion then their wilful ignorance surely flags a personal racism.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 31 July 2020 11:01:44 AM
Sorry, Don. But find I'm obliged to agree with Steele. It is a derogatory term! End of story! I think if we get this crap removed we can finally get on with reconciliation. And away from the ceaseless ativisim, just looking for a divisive issue to rave on about.

I believe we'd be better served to focus on stuff that really matters! Addressing and removing poverty. Getting an energy policy based on sanity rather than maximised profits for mostly foreign investors! Nutting out a plan for recovery that has everything on the table, i.e., the biggest boldest ideas we can come up with and implement!

Because that what it'll take to right the ship, get it back on course and make the debt burden disappear! This is where we need to focus the intellect, i.e., on the removal of offesive garbage. We need to get past this parsimonious pettifogging on on to the really important issues!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 31 July 2020 11:43:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy