The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Preposterous political posturing > Comments

Preposterous political posturing : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 31/7/2020

I just couldn't believe it. 'Coon' is no longer to be the name of a well-known style of cheese.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. All
Dear Don,

I regretfully inform you of the loss of your dear world. If any consolation to you, you are not alone as a witness to this sad event.

Sincerely

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 31 July 2020 8:29:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's an Australian journalist called Sarah Abo, will she have to change her surname now ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 31 July 2020 9:01:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Coon idiocy dropped off the radar after a few days. The problem now is that there is so much rubbish going on that people are switching off; they are bored stiff. Last night I watched the first episode, on YouTube, of Kenneth Clark's 13 part 'Civilisation' (1969). Clark's brand of scholarship and common sense no longer exists, but the descent into the Dark Ages has started again. Civilisations become "exhausted". People live in constant fear and look for change, disappointed when it doesn't occur. The West is ripe for picking by the new Barbarians, accelerated by the release of the China virus (we need to stop kidding ourselves that it occurred by accident or through natural causes) and our weak, incompetent politicians' deliberate shutting down of the economy. Coon cheese is nothing compared with what awaits us as we bury our heads deeper in the sand.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 31 July 2020 9:39:16 AM
Indeed, it is a mess and it does need to be opposed somehow somewhere
sometime by everybody.
My little effort will be never to buy the Coon cheese with the new name
but further I will not buy any other Devondale products.
It is only a small kickback but "Go Woke Go Broke" should be our aim.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 31 July 2020 10:26:38 AM
It took me all of 60 seconds to find this from a Charters Towers newspaper in 1908.

COON! COON! COON!
There was an aboriginal coon be-
fore the Police Magistrate this morn-
ing on a charge of having been drunk.
The nig. admitted he had been
drunk. Sub inspector Graham stated
defendant had been up three times
previously for similar charges. He
believed the nig. came to town on
Monday on business for his boss and
he got drunk. He was said to be all
right when out at work away from
town. The P.M. said if the coon's
employer were written to he might
be able to give defendant some ad-
vice. Defendant was discharged.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/214833568

So if the author is intent on implying the term has not enjoyed wide usage in this country in a racist fashion then their wilful ignorance surely flags a personal racism.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 31 July 2020 11:01:44 AM
Sorry, Don. But find I'm obliged to agree with Steele. It is a derogatory term! End of story! I think if we get this crap removed we can finally get on with reconciliation. And away from the ceaseless ativisim, just looking for a divisive issue to rave on about.

I believe we'd be better served to focus on stuff that really matters! Addressing and removing poverty. Getting an energy policy based on sanity rather than maximised profits for mostly foreign investors! Nutting out a plan for recovery that has everything on the table, i.e., the biggest boldest ideas we can come up with and implement!

Because that what it'll take to right the ship, get it back on course and make the debt burden disappear! This is where we need to focus the intellect, i.e., on the removal of offesive garbage. We need to get past this parsimonious pettifogging on on to the really important issues!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 31 July 2020 11:43:23 AM
SR's 'proof' comes from a 1908 newspaper cutting he found in Trove. SR is now relying on attitudes from 112 years ago to support his anti-Australian venom.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 31 July 2020 12:10:15 PM
So ...... are some surnames to be made illegal now ? Or anything that sounds vaguely like them ? Cohn, Coen, Cohen, Kohn, Kahn (a common surname for Aboriginal people here in SA), Kun, Coin ?

How about Badcock, Lipschitz, Slattery (too close to 'sluttery'?), Blackmore, or more outright masculinist names like Mann ?

Hyper-'left' vigilante disappears, over the hill, in full pursuit.

I wonder if the world is actually full of witches, unseen but there, and only a select few amongst us are aware of them, and how they must be rooted out ruthlessly for the good of all humankind ? [Oops, I nearly wrote 'mankind' and got myself added to that list.].

I suppose every revolution needs its executioners. I was just reading that Robespierre ordered the execution of 18,000 people on one day. Just before he was executed.

I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so peaceful and self-contained .....

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 31 July 2020 1:28:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well thank you SR, for proving the point. If you have to go back to 1908, before any person alive today was born to find an example, it sure as hell is not something of any importance to any reasonable person. Such a common example of racism in Oz today, virtually proves it has no context here today.

Of course your silliness is supported by none other than another hairsplitter in Alan.

Would it be lovely to live in a country where such stupidity was long gone. Pity outs still has too many examples.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 31 July 2020 3:30:39 PM
Yee commenters of deficient research, please note:

Coon cheese has no racial background:

"Coon cheese is named after its American creator, Edward William Coon

(1871–1934) of Philadelphia, who patented a method, subsequently known as the Cooning

process, for fast maturation of cheese via high temperature and humidity."

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_cheese
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 31 July 2020 3:36:53 PM
Of course Don emulated my subsequent research in his article.

I stand on my post hoc :)

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 31 July 2020 3:39:54 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

How's it going old cock?

I thought you might have at least been a teenager in 1908 given the serious load of curmudgeon you tote around nowadays but perhaps not.

Mr Aitken proclaimed he had never seen the word in print in Australia. I furnished an example. Following are two articles where used far more recently and I wager well within you lifetime.

Bulletin 1972

AUSTRALIAN   COON   HATERS  
  I   agree   on   the   whole   with   the   political  
  conclusions   of   Bob   Hawkins’   article   on  
  Papua   New   Guinea   (B,   May   13).   But   I  
  must   strongly   disagree   with   the   rosy  
  “The   air   pollution   got   him   before   he   could   jump."  
  picture   he   paints   of   “human   .   .   .   work  
  ing   relationships   with   Papuans   and   New  
  i   Guineans”   which   Australians   working  
  in   this   country   are   said   to   have  
  achieved.   Assuming   this   refers   to   both  
  administration   and   private   business  
  personnel,   it   has   been   my   experience  
  that   too   many   Australians   fall   into   the  
  type   regularly   known   as   the   “coon-hat  
  er.”   They   have   lived   and   worked   in   this  
  country   often   for   years,   but   are   still  
  alienated   from   their   surroundings.   They  
  make   no   attempt   to   understand   the  
  problems   of   the   country   and   either   fear  
  or   despise   the   indigenous   population.  
  This   attitude   leads   to   both   open   and  
  covert   racial   discrimination   and   some  
  times   open   abuse.   I   have   personally   met  
  with   discriminatory   instances   in   Lae.  
  This   does   not   mean,   of   course,   that  
  there   are   not   Australians   who   do   their  
  jobs   with   skill,   compassion,   understand  
  ing   and   liking   for   the   people.   But   the  
  good   relationships   which   these   expatri  
  ates   develop   is   too   often   counteracted  
  by   the   Territorian   who   refers   to   his  
  workers   as   “rock   apes”   or   “kanakas”   and  
  treats   them   as   “idle,   useless   blacks.”  
  The   solid   amount   of   goodwill   Aus  
  tralia   is   supposed   to   enjoy   in   Papua  
  New   Guinea   is   being   dissipated   by   this  
  all   to   prevalent   attitude.   It   will   ulti  
  mately   be   reponsible   for   anti-European  
  feeling.   This   may   surprise   the   optimists  
  who   are   not   aware   of   the   increasing  
  racial   tension   in   all   areas   of   Papua   New  
  Guinea.  
  JANE   HUTCHINS  
  Lae,   TPNG  
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 31 July 2020 3:59:04 PM
Here is an example from 1998.

This was in the Times in Victor Harbour SA

“TREE ATTACK OUTRAGE
CURRENCY CREEK — The
Aboriginal heritage registered
Canoe Tree near Currency
Creek, has only a slim chance of
survival after it was ringbarked
at the weekend.
A section of bark and soft wood
encircling the river red gum was
cut away with what is believed
to have been an axe on Saturday
night or early Sunday.
The words: "Coons did this"
were marked on the tree, located
east of the Strathalbyn - Goolwa
Road near the intersection
with Winery Road.
Victor Harbor CIB is investi-
gating the incident.
Alexandrina Council's parks
and gardens supervisor Kallan
Dennis reported the damage to
local police on Sunday morning.
"The future viability of the
tree is fairly minimal," Mr
Dennis said.”

So my sufferer of selective amnesia the word has been in usage and still is in Australia. The fact that you and Mr Aitken are so quick to say it isn't speaks volumes.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 31 July 2020 4:05:06 PM
Thank u Joe 2

That was one of your better ones :-)
Got a smile for a change.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 31 July 2020 4:16:29 PM
SRx,

The Bulletin was well-known as originally a racist rag, with its slogan 'For the White Man' or some such. In 1972, it's interesting that by then, it was putting racist words in quotation marks - and in this case, not referring to people in Australia at all but to those in PNG.

By the way, I've certainly heard the term 'rock apes' used by Aboriginal people - in SA, to mean those from the Flinders, just as other Aboriginal people use terms like 'mud monkeys' for coastal people. And I suspect that the first term may also be used currently by Aboriginal people to refer to Africans.

I recall an appalling woman working her way through an entire chicken and brushing her young son away with "F... off you black ape." No, nobody else liked her either, she was from further down the Murray, but her husband had many relations on the 'mission' so she had to be tolerated, at least until they left. I recall her also knocking the daylights out of another of her kids after he had eaten her Easter egg - we heard about that f....ing Easter egg for hours, from one end of the village to the other.

Hey, that's life :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 31 July 2020 4:16:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have heard the word coon some years back but it seems to have lost currency.
That happens to words and then another word is adopted or invented to
take its place. It goes on all the time, so what do you think will be
substituted for coon ?
Boong of course is already in use, abo I understand is not acceptable
even though its origin seems obvious and even sensible.
So for my money, "abo" is the obvious choice.
Perhaps they could rename the cheese "ABO" !

Why don't carpenters object to "chippy" or electricians to "sparky" ?
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 31 July 2020 5:03:29 PM
Bazz,

In the Indonesian language, the word "bung" means brother, or respected, loved, brother or uncle. The late President Sukarno was affectionately known as "Bung Karno".

In different parts of Australia, Indigenous people usually have common words for themselves, so of course we should run with that. In WA, at least in the South, they use the term "Nyoongah" or "Noongah". In much of NSW and Victoria, the term "Koori" is used. In Queensland, "Murri"; and down here in SA, "Nunga" or more localised names. And of course, everybody has words for 'Whitefella', usually merely descriptive, not all that pejorative.

My favourite for a whitefella is "Krinkari", always used by my wife and Ngarrindjeri people, still. Traditionally, when a body was dried on a platform, the skin would eventually break apart and reveal a whiter skin underneath, known as "krinkari".

I suppose we can take offence whenever we want to, even over somebody saying nothing or even looking at someone. Perhaps offence is in the mind of the beholder.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 31 July 2020 6:33:24 PM
Many of these words weren't meant as insults to start off with. Academics & indoctrinated do-gooders made them insulting !
To further their own agenda, nothing else !
Posted by individual, Friday, 31 July 2020 7:41:57 PM
The locals in the Trobriand Islands, [PNG] refer to white people as dim dims. Perhaps if I knew the origin of the term, I could be insulted.

In the main street of Samarai Island PNG, once the center of administration for south east New Guinea, in 1975, the last time I was there stood a statue to some dead white man, & the plaque said, Fred Bolg, a man who dedicated his life to making New Guinea a descent place for a white man to live.

I wondered then how this was tolerated, & wonder today if it still stands.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 31 July 2020 10:14:06 PM
I’ve heard ‘Coon’ is an abbreviated term for Raccoon, a name used in the US in the 1920’s and 30’s by some whites when referring to African-Americans. Probably was in derogatory terms but doesn’t mean we need to change the name of a brand of bloody cheese.

What’s next, how pathetic. The more we kowtow to the PC brigade the worse it’s going to get. Very sad.
Galen
Posted by Galen, Friday, 31 July 2020 11:32:09 PM
Dear Galen,

Mate, I don't give a rat's arse how it was used overseas. I have given explicit examples of how it was and is an extremely racially loaded term here in Australia. Why on earth are you trying to downplay it?

I've used this example before but should Bert Newtown have said to Ali to stop being so PC when he wanted to know whether Newtown had called him a boy?

This was an American context but we all got it.

The word coon in an Australian context is very loaded and it needs to be dealt with on that basis.

I am fully supportive of the owners taking this decision.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 31 July 2020 11:50:59 PM
Dear resident rent gouger,

SteeleRedux, I'm very glad I live in my world and not yours.

Do you really think, (and I think you do), the Aboriginal family of twenty stray relo's and ten kids living right next door to your house, need your protection?

You need to grow up. I make a bet here, your next door neighbours are not black.
You obviously fantasise incorrectly, blacks actually need you to defend them.
Out in the big world, the opposite is the reality.

Right at this moment, three smart arse hybrid lubras are suffering the pangs and slights of social media for spreading the plague around Queensland.
Just to demonstrate how confused these privileged and now persicuted bag snatchers from good homes are, the media, as a anarchistic mob, have jumped on their side to defend them against racism (SIC)!?

So let's analyse it. Bag snatching for an organised criminal group, is now preferable to spreading the plague around two or three States of Australia, desperately trying to contain the plague, than racist (sic) remarks.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 1 August 2020 7:07:16 AM
I managed to buy the last pack of Coon cheese from the local Woolies t'other day. Apparently it had been flying off the shelves.

I plan on keeping the packaging to be bequeathed to my grandkids to remind them how utterly moronic this generation has become.

But why are we so reticent in addressing this rampant racism. There are dozens of people living in Oz with the surname Coon. Report them all to the Anti-Dis board - gaol is too good for them.

And their ancestors? Hundreds (thousands) of gravestones with that word (that vile word) openly displayed. How can we live (or die) in a world that allows that.

And why stop there? There's hundreds of people using the surname Blackman. Can concentration camps be too far away?

And what about Noosa Heads? We all know what a noose is used for, don't we?
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 1 August 2020 9:57:41 AM
All this twaddle about racism that might or might not exist is a huge turn off; it changes nothing; the same people will continue to think what they have always thought, and life will go on. Get over it.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 1 August 2020 10:28:45 AM
Thanks Joe, Koori I have seen used but I did not know it had a specific
geographical context.
Abo seems the most logical to cover all those here before 1788.
Afterall we white people diverted via Europe on the way to this continent
and while we were in Europe the lower light levels whitened our skin to
regulate our vitamin D uptake.
So whats the big deal ?
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 1 August 2020 11:33:04 AM
Dear diver dan,

Resident rent gouger? Lol. How many others on here would have a rental property? I suspect a few given we are the boomer generation. The fact that you haven't and it has you frothing at the mouth is an issue for you, not the rest of us.

As to the rest of the stuff you vomited up on the page what on earth does any of it have to do with whether or not the word Coon has been and still is a racist term in this country.

All you lot have done is either deny it is offensive to some or attempted to deflect. Why are you all so utterly un-nerved by this initiative by the owners? This is snowflake-ism 101. They have made a decision based on what they felt was the right thing to do and as a private company they have every right to do just that. Get over it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 1 August 2020 11:57:27 AM
I stand by my earlier remarks, that the term coon used in relation to blackfellas,is, was and remains a derogatory term in popular use by some very ignorant folk! I get that some think it's ok? And are offended by seeing it removed from a popular brand of cheese, which rightly was named after Dr Coon who invented the particular faster procees, that gave that particular type of chedder his unfortunate name. The derogatory name of Coon. Those renting their clothes and tearing out their hair at the removal of a derogatory term! Need to get over themselves and their abundntly obvious racism! Don't be a dropkick R'sole all your life, take a day off!
Alan B
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:01:04 PM
I always found the word Abo was used as an endearing term for a long time until Academics twisted it to what it is now.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:19:20 PM
Those protesting here to the removal of an offensive term are clearly no brighter than those contribiting to taffic jams in melbourne during a pandemic lockdown!

As I said earlier, we should be using our brains for higher order tasks such as, addressing the energy crisis, the poverty that forces some folk to carry on working and adding to Melbourne traffic jams, during a lockdown, for heavens sake! When they should be able to self quarintine for a couple of weeks!

We should focus on coming up with recovery solutions instead of wasting our time and Intelectual acumen on this compost!

This time next year, we'll still be buying the Doctor's cheese, which could be changed to something like cando or canuk or doctor's cheedar?

Me? I'd like to call it KKK hullabaloo or whatsaname cheese.

You all have a nice day now y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:22:55 PM
SteeleRedux

Resident rent gouger? Yep. What prompts the appropriate brand name, was your derogatory comment on the renter class, in a past post which collected an OLO community scolding. Snob fits.

Now onto the next issue as to the question of what is your "worth" governed by your property investment portfolio. (And what we are trying to achieve here, is a profile of who are the "sicko" supporters of the anarchistic BLM crowd, (and as a consequence, Gay life matters), seeking to overthrow community standards with a lie)?

That's you to a tee gouger. You identify yourself as woke to a same tee. Woke is a community only. Problem with you lot, you have little understanding on the subject of racism, and much understanding on riding roughshod over those who do understand.

Now to the real issue to address, the three criminal black bitches I mentioned above,
That's the interstate handbag snatchers rightly condemned on social media and now cying racism, and accusing all and sundry of persecution.

So the issue is, now black criminals are empowered by you woke lot, to commit more crimes and cry for sympathy that black lives matter, and as evidence appears, will be supported by a woke media in the lie.

So gouger, its you the racist snob, racist against whites and their culture. That's what I don't like about you and your lot. Your abhorrent nonesence is sickening to society, and detrimental to a large swathe of it.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 1 August 2020 12:54:40 PM
Alan,

'Doctor's Cheese' - yes ! Same colour wrapping, that should do it.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 1 August 2020 4:20:19 PM
Dear diver dan,

“derogatory comment on the renter class “

Rubbish. Name it.

Do you know the race of these two border breakers?

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/sa/2020/07/24/south-australia-border-breach/

Why not?

What about this bloke?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6850360/police-investigate-victorian-man-for-act-border-breach/

Do you know his ethnicity? His name? Have you seen his picture plastered everywhere?

What about these 3?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/coronavirus-australia-victorians-on-the-run-after-sa-border-breach/news-story/a64acf898f2ba3c1dbe6ac34fe04893e

No of course not. Rather it is people like you whose perverse nature have outed these teens, have splashed their images all over social media, and now, utterly stupidly are somehow now blaming their behaviour on people like me.

What a thoroughly unhinged thing to assert. It speaks to a deeply poisoned mindset which any sane person would usually try and conceal.

It of course also speaks to a racism that the brother was right to flag. You are a purveyor of it here and you should reflect on your own behaviour as it is completely reprehensible.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 1 August 2020 4:38:26 PM
While we're at it let's change the name of Scotch finger biscuits to something that isn't racial and stop calling people German when it should be Gerperson.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 1 August 2020 6:01:17 PM
Dear Mr Opiinion,

Interesting you should raise the German point. After the outbreak of hostilities in WW1 many Australian place names with Geroman origins were discarded and replaced with non-German names.

There was an area south of Geelong here in Victoria which was named Germantown and it was replaced with Grovedale.

Australians rightly or wrongly deemed the names offensive and did something to correct it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_place_names_changed_from_German_names

Are you going to accuse them of being overly PC?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 1 August 2020 6:40:13 PM
Redux the pompous.

http://inqld.com.au/news/2020/07/31/police-task-force-probes-border-cheats-links-to-organised-crime-syndicates/

Above is the link deliberately chosen and specifically sourced from "rainbow central" headquarters of your best mates, the ABC.
So this item would be naturally highly believable; guaranteed not to be slewed in any ideological form, and comes via the editors desk at Socualist Review.

I've checked your links which I consider totally irrelevant to the article content.
Not so my link, which if you trot around your computer, you will find reference aplenty to the cry of racism from the three hybrid lubras, and their mother Mrs Orangutan, also crying racism.

I take it for granted you dislike me from my reading of your costicly laced rants on my character.
What do they say? Empty vessels etc!

What else of truth would you wish my comment on?

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 1 August 2020 7:52:22 PM
Dear diver dan,

Don't like you? How is that possible when I don't even know you. At the moment you are just someone in front of a keyboard as am I. I'm hardly going to get my knickers in a knot over you. Your are just someone to spar with, that's it. Don't take it personally.

As to your site it appears to be some cheap outfit knocking off ABC stories. Here is the link to the complete version;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-31/coronavirus-queensland-logan-cases-diana-lasu-family/12507852

In it you will see this from the Commissioner;

“Ms Lasu and Ms Muranga were the target of furious commentary on social media after they were named in reports by most media outlets.
Commissioner Carroll today took aim at people making derogatory comments about the women.
"We have seen community members making comments about certain cultural groups and ethnicities — this is not productive at all," Commissioner Carroll said.
"People doing the wrong thing come from all walks of life, backgrounds and community groups.”

About time you took heed.

Also there was no mention of racism in the article as you claimed, but you in your typical shallow fashion have piled it on. You really are a projecting little fellow aren't you.

Finally you still haven't shown where I supposedly made disparaging remarks about renters. You can't because it is an outright lie.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 1 August 2020 11:52:30 PM
Dear gouger,

Your as thick as the proverbial brick aren't you!
You know what? Thanks a million for jumping into my trap.

The heading of this article is "preposterous political posturing".
An article written by one of the most conservative of OLO authors. He's over it!
I'm over it, and anybody I know is over it. And what is the "it" we with a still functioning brain are collectively over?

We're particularly over Wank-Wokes like you, the bonger from Nimbin, and the vixen who I'm sure, still has a box of last years Christmas nuts between her/ its legs, (who would know);? and other assorted traitors of this once lovely country, brought to its knees with dumb blatant stupidity, of which "my" example of it highlights the whole sad story.

And you proffer-up an example of how right you are and how wrong I am, by the charmingly dismissive quote from the Queensland Police force.
Well I'm armed for that lie.
I know ex-Queensland police; that's the same ones I faced off with in the BLF on the streets many years ago, and trust me, their view if the new age Politically correct copper, is not printable.

But I'll round it off conservitavly. When their not in the back room writing up reports taking infinitely longer than the job they write about, they are scheming along towards an exit strategy designed to align with a anti-social cop-out condition so contagious, the wonder is anybody actually works in the public service; it's acronym? PTSD.
In every mans world called "scam".

Our whole society is a scam. The leading cause of it is Political Correctness.
And what that dangerous disease does at its worst, it conflates the truth with a blatent lie, which is in the forbidden basket to counter, under the tag of "Racism", in this instance.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 2 August 2020 8:07:45 AM
I begin with a bitch session.
How many of you remember being shat on and abused using the word "abo", when I made it quite clear that it was just another abbreviated word I grew up with, such as describing myself as a WOG, DAGO, DING, SPAGHETTI MUNCHER, and so on.
You see I can use such words when I talk about myself, and there's NOTHING you pin heads can do about it, and I know there are those who are fuming right now, because I found a way of dismissing or rejecting PC.
I reject any attempt at trying to change me to suite others.
I am who/what I am and if others don't like it, they can all go and get.........
I do not accept PC, this you all know.
If I have to use words that do not convey the true message, then I am lying.
If someone wants to abuse another, they have the right to do so, and more importantly, they must be allowed to do so, regardless of the consequences which may or may not follow.
How many times do I have to remind you ignorant, arrogant plebs, I have told you so many times that words like "blackman", "fireman", "policeman", and I could go on but you know what I mean; now clear your ears and mind for a moment while I give another of life's lessons to all you bloody PC loving degenerates.
The words I have highlighted are in fact "NOUNS".
Yes nouns, this means they are not descriptive words as you morons want them to be.
They do NOT in any way suggest that a "policeman", can only be a MAN!
Although, I believe they should, but that's another axe.
So if we are expected to take this latest "COON" debacle seriously, I for one cannot.
This PC crap has got to stop, WE have to stop it, by rejecting and attacking it at every opportunity.
What next, I hate sports, alcohol, chili and so many more things that the rest of Moronia actually worship, so am I at fault?
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 2 August 2020 10:10:49 AM
Hmmm, the letters "man" attached to many words raises hackles in the PC
brigade to a silly extent.
I had the opportunity to put down a woman "Chairman" of a meeting.
She objected to being referred to as "chairman".
I pointed out that the word came from the Roman Senate where the chairman
when he rose to speak stood behind his chair and put his hands "Man in Latin"
on the chair.
Therefore "chairman" is the correct name for the person chairing the meeting.
The Roman senate never had a woman chairman.
The chairman was not happy with me pointing this out !
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 2 August 2020 10:51:44 AM
It would be nice to have articles NOT dealing with race or the
Chinese virus. Boring doesn't come anywhere near describing the same people arguing about the same things they have no control over.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 2 August 2020 11:20:39 AM
It won't be long before saying 'CHEESE' for a photo will be deemed racist as it will remind people of Coon Cheese !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 2 August 2020 11:34:11 AM
Bazz,

thanks for pointing that out.
All these type of words are only titles and even today do not imply that they refer to a "man".
So it is that you are like minded, in that I will not succumb to idiots with immature and misguided ideologies.
Any idiot who expects anyone else to accept that the COON company owners changed the name because it was some casual decision are so stupid and arrogant to expect us to believe that, just shows them up for what they are.
The truth behind the decision and ALL decisions like it is purely a business one based on the fear that this stupid, rancid PC crap is going to affect their bottom line.
It's disgraceful that they changed the name under a false and ignorant pretence.
If I was a descendant of the COON family, I would consider it an affront and a slur on my name, not to mention that it is racist to remove it.
You have to be a racist to consider it a racist name to begin with.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 2 August 2020 11:38:24 AM
Just to put the last nail in this stupid debacles coffin.
I had a quick look in Google for their meaning of "chairman".
It said, "A "PERSON" chosen to preside over a meeting"!
NOT A "MAN".
Are we clear now?
All you PC freaks can stop pushing the proverbial up hill and get lost, your not wanted or needed, we had no problems with our language before you sick plebs came along and started stuffing everything up.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 2 August 2020 11:47:23 AM
ttbn. Thank heavens for injecting a modicum of common sense into this hate laced debate.

Fact is, the name is going to be removed! End of story!

I don't have a problem with that or the fact some folk might have that surname! Me? I'd change it by depol or whatever the legal term is. Or just answer to the name Smith.

Which reminds me of a young Irishman, who's only living relative had migrated to the U.S.A. decades ago. made a fortune from a gold mine and oil shares. Had died leaving him a fortune.

The telegram that told him so was acomanied by a wire transfer and booking for the flight and hotel accommodation.

On his arrival and as he stepped out of the plane, he saw huge skyscapers that towered all about. On one tall building he saw a sign ten metres high, that said, the Smith manufacturing company.

Begouragh he said, clapping a hand to forehead. So that's where they all come from.

When I smile for the obligatory photo, I say, Beer. That seems to make the other smiles more genuine. And has never ever hurt!

Moreover, In the years I saw military service, it was and remains colour blind! Which I recommend to all commenting here or getting their knickers in a knot over a name change, done in the interests of colour blind, racial harmony. It won't hurt, promise!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 2 August 2020 12:16:11 PM
Now that I start to think of it George Clooney might want to consider a name change as well.

Maybe he could change it to Bill.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 2 August 2020 12:58:57 PM
And there's a guy up the street called Bob Black.

He's definitely in trouble.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 2 August 2020 1:01:01 PM
Alan,

this topic has nothing to do with someone changing a name because of some simple or domestic reason.
It has everything to do with virtue shaming/signalling or PC or whatever you want to call it on the day.
You say, "end of story".
In fact it's a continuing story that keeps coming back and telling us how racist those who subscribe to such ridiculous antics are.
If there were no racist implications there would be no need to remove these words from our language.
As I keep saying, it's not the word that is offensive, it's the person using it in an offensive way.
When will you fools begin to look at yourselves as the problem and not at others.
I have used words like abo, ding and wog for as long as I can remember, I grew up with this language, just the same as the English I use here on OLO.
All of sudden some fu(&wits decide that certain words are no longer appropriate.
I'll bet these bastards were not even born when these words were everyday vernacular here in good ole' Ostraliar.
My message to you fools is, SHUT UP, and STOP IT, just STOP IT!
What makes your version of language more relevant or appropriate than mine or anyone else's.
Remember, we speak Australian, "NOW", once you accept this fact, we are at the true; "END OF STORY"!
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 2 August 2020 1:32:33 PM
ALTRAV,

'Australian' is too racist.

Can we change it to 'Austrasian'?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 2 August 2020 1:49:08 PM
Dan. There was a trap set an you and a number of others walked right into it. Given it pushed your buttons.

And made a name change vastly more important than the worst pandemic in living memory!

More important than a recovery from the worst finacial crisis since the Great Depression! And given we are still in the middle of the pandemic. Perhaps a financial crisis that could make the Great Depression, look like a Sunday School picnic, in comparison?

Divided us yet again at the one time in our history, when we absolutey need to pull together, almost as if we were in the fight of our lives, against a common enemy. A common enemy that has harmed or infected over 16 million of us thus far and killed over 600,000!

And like the suckers some of you are, you walked right into Don's clever trap! And as a divesion from what we need to put our collective minds to!

It really is a case of divided we fall! united we stand, our backs to the wall. Against a common foe that takes no prisoners and takes every chance it can to hurt, harm and kill a many as it can. And with our complicit cooperation, as we rebel against the shutdowns and the reduction of our freedoms, the only weapons we have to take the fight to this mindless monster.

I mean, what rattles your cage? A harmless name chance? Really? Got your priorities right, eh mate? You think you and yours are not in the pandemic's crosshairs, maybe? That you're alright Jack? Is that who you are along with your fellow travelers?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 2 August 2020 4:44:14 PM
Dear diver dan,

Trap? Lol. You do have an imaginative mind young fella.

Still no instance on me being disparaging to renters? I wonder why that would be?

It seems I have ripped the scab off your festering racism and called it out for what it is. This will enabled the ordinary reader to assess your poisonous attitudes and reflect on whether there is still a deep seated issue of racism within our community.

Without this, in your case overt racism, we wouldn't be needing to change anything. But the attitude you have displayed is just another reason why we need to act.

Thank you for helping to make the case.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 2 August 2020 7:46:56 PM
Dear gouger

I think your case was made when your mother dropped you out between her legs, head first onto a cement floor. Makes sense, nothing else about you does!

Alan B

I've actually hung up the violin for the day, but for you old son, anything. What tune should I play?
What about here comes the bride fair fat and wide...you wave the rainbow flag!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 2 August 2020 8:30:05 PM
Aww Dan, don't get too upset mate, all we are doing is having a bit of a spar on line and I have hammed it up a bit. No bones broken, no teeth loosened. So your ego might be a bit bruised, and your credibility has taken a body blow, and any regard people might have had for you has copped a flogging, but these are not physical. I know lashing out seems justifiable, and if makes you feel a little better I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Relax old chap, you will be the better for it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 3 August 2020 9:43:40 AM
Well SteeleRedux, you didn't take your marbles and run home to mommy.
You stuck around, well done!

Dan.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 3 August 2020 12:14:19 PM
Dear diver dan,

I have never stopped engaging with people on this forum because they have attacked me personally. It is when they repeatedly go after people with ugly, often misogynistic attacks, particularly those who don't deserve it, that I end up cutting them loose.

In for a penny, in for a pound.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 3 August 2020 1:37:25 PM
Dan,

don't listen to arrogant, self adulating know-it-all, straw men, who have no real substance, standing or credibility as they feed off the few instances where one is criticised for being human or NORMAL, because they lack the fortitude to understand that there are people out there, and in this forum, who are far wiser and much better visionaries, who relate at a higher, wider and deeper range or level, than they would ever be capable of attaining.
Don't ignore them by all means.
These arrogant clowns need to be challenged and made aware of their short comings.
There is far too much "shirt-fronting", going on with these people.
They make stupid, ridiculous comments and statements, then attack without thought or foundation, with nothing more than childish words, cliche's and attitudes, which are akin to that of a petulant un-disciplined child.
Stand fast/tall, and if nothing else, shout em' down and wear em' out.
Posted by ALTRAV, Monday, 3 August 2020 2:43:20 PM
ALTRAV.

*..."The historically preordained doom of capitalism is represented by bourgeois historians as the destruction of “the Christian civilization of the West” and of all its cultural and technological achievements"...*

This quote from "The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979)".

The commos onboard here at OLO, knowingly or inadvertently willingly partake in their own destruction.

We know who they are, and we call them out as traitors to our country and it's past, but also almost gone, the future, which is black: And that my friend is the only "black" that matters.

Should we the "enlightened" take them on on the streets, and turn the gutters into gushing streams of blood, fed from a watershed of new killing fields, bolstered with "their" blood?

Yo say I, and forward ho the wagons!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 3 August 2020 7:07:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy