The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Black lives matter, monument defacement and media erasure: unpacking the ethics > Comments

Black lives matter, monument defacement and media erasure: unpacking the ethics : Comments

By Rob Cover, published 18/6/2020

The 2020 expansion of the Black Lives Matter protests into a global anti-racism movement in Australia, the United Kingdom and elsewhere has been welcome in countries where black and Indigenous deaths in custody remain unacceptably high.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I read the first two paragraphs and went no further. The amount of misinformation was just beyond belief.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 18 June 2020 9:44:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, our Professor Cover certainly has a cover-over his eyes ! May I suggest to him to get out of his indoctrination chamber & head out into the environment he writes about but knows nothing of !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 18 June 2020 10:20:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leslie,

Yes, let's settle this misunderstanding:

*. Indigenous people are perhaps ten times (for their population) more likely to be incarcerated than non-Indigenous people in Australia. Whether this means they commit offences at a similar rate would be on the public record.

*. currently, around 28 % of people in custody are Indigenous, while 23-25 % of deaths in custody are Indigenous.

Outside of custody, one could assert, Indigenous people have a higher rate of death, from suicide, assault, drownings, car accidents, and general ill-health, than non-Indigenous people. A much higher proportion of deaths from violence have been Indigenous women. Actually, almost the only suicides that I know of, in my sheltered life, have been Indigenous, some very dear friends.

Are Indigenous people arrested for little or no reason, stitched up and found 'guilty' of offences that they have not committed ? I honestly can't say that I have found that to be the case.

Yes, Indigenous people may have shorter lives. When I lived at one community, I went to so many funerals, so often for young people, that I calculated on one occasion that a third of the entire population seemed to be gone by forty.

And in fifty years, in rural areas, away from opportunities, that doesn't seem to have changed much.

Marginalisation has been the rule for most Indigenous people, thankfully fewer as more seize opportunities, such as in higher education - fifty thousand graduates have taken that path, one in seven or eight adults. But there are - and have been for a couple of generations now - two socially-distinct populations, one seizing opportunities, one sinking back into welfare and fostering another marginalised generation.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 18 June 2020 10:25:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
simple equation. Less crime equals less gaol equals less deaths in custody. blm matters are a group of Marxist thugs that cowards continue to cave into.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 18 June 2020 10:33:53 AM
In relation to monuments, there seem to be three options:

*. leave them as they are, usually unknown statues, with few people knowing why they are there, who they are, or what they may have done;

*. rip the bastards down, smash them, throw them into the river, obliterate them and any future memories that they ever existed, or what they may have represented;

*. leave them where they are, put up detailed plaques of their deeds, good and bad, so that future generations can learn from them. Of course, for the young generations, the plaques could incorporate some sort of interactive video or audio, given that young people can't be expected to read.

In Adelaide, as the most progressive capitol city across Australia, dozens, maybe hundreds, of plaques have been set in the footpath of North Terrace, of world-famous South Australian achievers. For compulsory readers like me, that makes negotiating North Terrace a bit hazardous for anyone walking behind me. A fascinating history lesson every time.

We can't undo history. And we shouldn't forget history or pretend that we can obliterate it. But we can learn from it if we face it, warts and all.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 18 June 2020 10:37:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article.

Dear Diver Dan,

No it hasn't. Get with it.

Dear Lego,

No it didn't it found the opposite.

Dear Big Nana,

It is division and hatred which has caused and maintained the disparity. There are some remarkable transformations in policing occurring as a result of the protests including far greater levels of police accountability, especially in the US. It is working and my hat goes off to those who have stood up on this issue, despite the scorn they have received from people like yourself.

Dear Bazz,

So David Dungay didn't die in custody then? Don't be so idiotic.

Dear runner,

Blame the victims for their poverty and disadvantage? How very un-Christian of you yet again.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 18 June 2020 10:58:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy