The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > May we discuss 'net zero' 2050? > Comments

May we discuss 'net zero' 2050? : Comments

By Stephen Saunders, published 27/3/2020

Seventy nations have signed up, for net zero emissions 2050. Before COVID-19 became the only topic, Australia buzzed with it. But what does it mean?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
ttbn,
Perhaps you could just stop digging!
The problem is so big that even removing all those who care about it from the planet wouldn't be sufficient to solve it.

COVID19 is of course a more urgent problem, so it goes without saying that addressing it should take priority. But that doesn't mean we should keep silent on the other problems we have. It's not as if doing so will make the coronavirus go away any more quickly!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Alison Jane,
I did no such thing - I merely raised the question as a possible explanation of your extremely unscientific approach to everything. Though your lying about your credentials would be the simplest explanation, your senility would be a close second.

ISTR I mentioned on the other thread that denialists had trouble understanding that raising questions didn't mean the answers were always what the questioner thought.

_________________________________________________________________________________

individual
Yes it's possible. And it certainly doesn't need to be recalculated - zero remains the same whatever you divide it by. Admittedly a higher population does make it more difficult to achieve - but not much more difficult.

The planet's ability to absorb CO2 is not a constant; it's something we can increase. There are rocks that can react with it, and plants can absorb it (though we do have to be careful to ensure they don't just go up in smoke afterwards). For the most part the easiest way is to switch from processes that emit CO2 to ones that don't - but of course that's not always possible for everything.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 27 March 2020 6:01:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden are a troll or "max headroom"30 years on!

whatever you are you ar an intersteing species to watch development

lots of thanks may ego is so enlightened

I am now that "pig-ignorant","senile", Lying about my credentials", "name dropping" old tart/fart Alison Jane... my-word, give me much more of this accolades and I will need to print bigger vitual business cards.

"Sticks'n'stones may break my bones......" young-un what ever brand of troll you are he/she/it. Meanwhile in the real world and COVID-19 your beloved Gaia is killing innocents delivered by " climate stress" that drives bats virus to mutate to infect humans ... to much X-files science and 'weed' is the most likely cause for you CCC viral infection/condition
Posted by Alison Jane, Friday, 27 March 2020 11:00:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alison Jane,
I must concede I failed to consider the possibility you were just trolling. That's a much better explanation for your illusory correlation than either senility or lying about your credentials.

Are you willing to explain why you're trolling? Or should I just stick to the cliché and stop feeding you?
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 28 March 2020 10:20:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One gets to net-zero by jettisoning those fuels that create emission! Then choosing from those that don't, be it in the home or transport options!

And needs to be so affordable even slum dog paupers can afford to select it as their most affordable preference!

Needs to be available 24/7, for our refrigerators and essential now, air conditioners

Hospitals etc/etc. and all emergency services, sewerage removal pumps, town water pumps, petrol diesel pumps and all irrigation pumps, emergency desal! It's a very long list of things a large population/big city needs 24/7! Elevators, air extraction and so on and so forth.

All the high rises would be uninhabitable without affordable, 24/7 electricity!

And if the solution ever becomes, solar panels and batteries e.g.,? Only the millionaire set will be able to afford them!

What we can afford is a solution paid for with other folk's money!

And as annual billions! And create huge new wealth and permanent employment opportunities!

And is Nuclear waste burning SMR MSR's Connected to very localised microgrids, All paid for with other folks repository rental money! Be it the reactors, the R+D, the new underground graphene grid or the new undersea cables we install to sell abundant, cheap carbon-free electricity to all our energy customers and hundreds more who currently are powered with increasingly expensive diesel.

And cheap enough to desal billions of annual litres of potable irrigation/town water from endlessly abundant seawater!

Couple that to Christian inspired, no losers, cooperative capitalism and a vastly simplified, but unavoidable flat tax, tax system and we do become an energy-exporting superpower with no pockets of poverty or unaffordable housing!

What prevents that new golden age future? Not very much, just a motley collection of inordinately greedy, power-obsessed, robber barons, served preferentially by the current status quo!

That's all!

Take care and stay safe.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 28 March 2020 10:27:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You would know all about trolling, Aidan. You simply cannot leave alone anyone who doesn't comply with your own extreme views. In the short time Alison Jane has been among us, I haven't noticed that fault in her; she only reacts to pains in the neck like you. What you don't like about her is that she is a conservative, not afraid to express her views, and certainly not gullible enough to be sucked in by you, or bullied by you.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 28 March 2020 11:17:26 AM
Alab B the climate-stress COVID virus is good for you. Liked the post. Can you send that rejected OLO piece as 2-4 posts.... or at least say no. Alternatively I will send you a tempory gamil address and you can send it there, so it would be a one-one confidential process for you

Cheers, sincerely I would like to read it and then
Posted by Alison Jane, Saturday, 28 March 2020 3:47:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy