The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Facial recognition: policing our roads, but what else? > Comments

Facial recognition: policing our roads, but what else? : Comments

By Charles Essery, published 6/3/2020

Few of us realise how advanced the technology has progressed behind closed doors of private research facilities in the West.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
On the subject of bicycles paying for anything, I disagree.
The taxes and costs we have to endure are based on vehicles with engines.
The formula for the amount we pay for vehicle registration, even though it is WAY over the top and fits well into the definition of gouging, is based on power and weight of the vehicle in question.
The basis of this formula is supposed to be to cover the costs of road maintenance and related infrastructure.
YEAH RIGHT!
We all know that's a well worn lie, but anyway, obviously there is NO justification charging cyclists ANYTHING!
If they would just do as I say, and use cycle paths, or back roads, we would have no problems.
As far as I am concerned they would be out of sight, out of mind and out of danger.
But, as it stands if they were to be hit with some kind of registration fees, I would rather just call it an on-going, pre-paid fine, just for insisting on being absolute pains in the arse!
Posted by ALTRAV, Monday, 9 March 2020 11:56:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ALtrav.. Violence NO!, but hit it were it hurts them with taxes, fees, fines and stringent prosecution (and persecution!) for breaches of the law, that they flaunt every day to the year with total immunity. Give the police incentives to catch them, just as they have been given to keep state revenue up on car owners!

If car owners drove around in race suits, helmets in vehicles with no mirrors and slick tyres, the police would come down on them with every regulation in the law.

They claim to be adults, then treat them so and tax them out of existence, or at least onto all those expensive unused bike lanes on our motorway corridors!

It costs about $1000 per year before you even travel a km on the roads just for owning a car. Why do we allow middle aged spandex-clad (mainly men) cause such a nuisance and inefficiency on roads that are unsuitable, unsafe and they don't contribute to.
Posted by Alison Jane, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 9:58:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ps, maybe we could instigate a "trophy" sticker for car/truck owners. You get a door sticker to mount on your car door for every dash cam photo of a cyclist you could have hit, (but swerved to avoid) .. say a "cycle silhouette on a red splat"! That way we could demonstrate to the world how dangerous their stupid pastime really is on modern roads.

See "Not the Nine O'clock News" sketch from the 1980's with Rowan Atkinson et al.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjb8b7XzI7oAhUzzjgGHefOAMsQ3ywwAHoECBAQBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dw9lmCpIzhFo&usg=AOvVaw1xdlPyTuM1vDePo5krLcQg
Posted by Alison Jane, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 10:07:18 AM
Alison, could not agree more.
The problem begins, and is kept in motion by those who have "connections" to pollies.
WE just came back from the docs, and we find them regularly on one of our main arteries, along the coast.
As we live on the coast it is a fact of life to come across these posers ALL the time, day or night.
Being a well funded shire, we have a cycle/walk way right next to the road, but NO, they're not going to be told where to ride.
So Alison, that's why I say they have been given a big and biased concession.
They have responded with arrogance and petulance, so as far as I am concerned we have facilitated them well beyond their just dues.
So then they do not deserve any more consideration and care.
They have made their beds and it's only a matter of time before the hospital will prepare that same bed for them.
As for the sticker; I would like to see one with a guns sight cross hairs over a drawing of a cyclist with a red line across it, indicating that every sticker is a cyclist that you have run over.
Posted by ALTRAV, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 3:59:09 PM
Hmmmm… cyclists need to be put back in their place... namely, luddites who need to realize the world of roads and transport is not a playground for their spandex fetish.

If the want to use roads, make them pay and comply with road rules... other wise fine the hell out of them!
Posted by Alison Jane, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 6:31:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy