The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Scott Morrison needs to 'obey God's message' > Comments

Scott Morrison needs to 'obey God's message' : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 4/9/2019

Australians need to see Morrison practise his Christian faith with Priya, her husband Nadesalingam (Nades), with daughters Kopika, 4, and Tharunicaa, 2.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Reading this article and its comments is a rather discouraging experience.

It brings to mind Man's Inhumanity to Man. Sometimes it's embarrassing to be a human being.

Christianity has nothing to do with what is happening to the Tamil family...only good, natural, human morals would do.

We know that even atheists are moral persons...there's no need to be a Christian to do what is right...we all know what is right.

I agree with the author about practicing the Golden Rule.
We have here a family that is established and has children. Someone said they should not have had a family....were they supposed to put their life on halt to wait for the government to make a final determination? No. We are free human beings and should be allowed to live our lives freely.

Apparently they face danger in their country...
They've been through a great deal, most persons raised in a wealthy and free country would not even be able to bear what they've been through.

The only reason they are able to withstand this nightmare is because they have witnessed how mean and unloving life can be...how unjust it can be.

I believe that if they've been absorbed into the community and are raising their family in a normal and loving way,,,they should not be put through anymore heartache.

Live and let live.

Let's show some human love.
Let's try to help each other instead.
The government has too much power and sometimes is not just.

Next time it might be one of us....
Posted by GodsGrace, Friday, 6 September 2019 8:08:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GodsGrace; Never mind “Reading this article and its comments is a rather discouraging experience.” So are your comments.

“Christianity has nothing to do with what is happening to the Tamil family” No it hasn’t, the law does, unless you don’t mind breaking it. They should have come here the legal way as millions before them have.

Clearly you haven’t a clue what has transpired here.
The family came here illegally and paid some shadow underworld characters to bring them.

They were told originally that the likelihood of them being allowed to stay was little or none. Having a child/children would not help their cause. International Law says that a child born to foreign parents does not give them the right to citizen ship.

“Apparently they face danger in their country.” No - wrong. The war is over and the man has been back to his country some 4 times quite safely.

There are thousands of people living in dreadful conditions in DP camps around the world waiting for the opportunity to come here, so you are saying these people, who are economic refuges should be given preferential treatment?
Posted by SF, Friday, 6 September 2019 9:09:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the likes of Keneally had any decency she would stand up for the murdered unborn babies right under her nose instead of this fake moral posturing. Another proof of evolution being a complete fraud as virtue signalling taking over real morality.
Posted by runner, Friday, 6 September 2019 10:30:38 AM
What I find amusing is that all these non Christians are defining what a Christian is obliged to do to be a "real Christian".

According to these sanctimonious phoneys "real Christians" are gullible half wits who are obliged to cave in to any con artist's sob story irrespective of the hundreds of deaths that will result.

The reality is that these virtue signallers don't give a crap about the people they kill as a result of moronic policies as long as they can claim the moral high ground. The rank hypocrisy of Labor is their virtue signalling against a policy they put in place.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 6 September 2019 10:39:44 AM
Hi GodsGrace,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for contributing.

"Christianity has nothing to do with what is happening to the Tamil family...only good, natural, human morals would do.

We know that even atheists are moral persons...there's no need to be a Christian to do what is right...we all know what is right."

Do we?
What is 'right' and WHY is it right?

You mention 'The Golden Rule' - 'Do unto others';

I think 'Do unto others' is just one part of doing 'what is right', but it should not form the entire moral compass of your decision making process.

The human race has learned many new things over time.
I'd like to share 2 of these things.

Firstly I'd like to bring to mind a man named Socrates.
People say he was a gay man that used to argue everything in circles...
- Maybe so, I don't know -

From him we devised a method of arguing things 'based on merit'.
And this was probably an important improvement for human beings, given that previously the planet was more prone to decision making and human progress being constrained by fear and superstition.

We move a little further along in history and we get JS Mills 'Harm Principle'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle

I myself word it a little differently,
I say 'Everybody has the right to live however they choose so long as it doesn't affect others in an adverse manner'.

Emphasis: AS long as it does not have 'negative or detrimental impact' to others.

Since you mentioned morals, I think it good to remind everyone the difference between ethics and morals;
Ethics is 'knowing' the difference between right and wrong and morals is 'how you act upon' this knowledge.

So you can't have good morals if you don't already possess good ethics.

And this personally is where I think Christians get into trouble, they think that someone they were imbued with ethics, when all they've done is put religion into the space where they should've put real ethics but I digress.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 7 September 2019 5:15:52 PM
[Cont.]

Apart from the 'Harm Principle' one of the easiest kinds of ethical principles to learn is about fairness.
Ethics of 'fairness' states 'What you do for one you do for the other'.

Is making this 'exception' fair to others who went about it the right way?
What message does that send?
'What is right?'

You also need to look at 'The Bigger Picture'.

What if your approach results in other negative consequences?
What if this outcome results in a new boatload deciding to make the voyage and 50 men women and kids drown?
Will you then plead ignorance or say 'Gods Will' instead?
(Maybe it was man's will; Maybe it was yours)
'What is right?'

And what about the members of the local community that oppose?
Your decision means these people have no choice at all, on an issue where these people I'm told, lied and did not go about coming to Australia the correct way?

Yet the local citizens who oppose will have no choice.
Should these citizens be imposed upon by foreigners who didn't do the right thing.
Should these citizens instead be not given any say in it?
'What is right?'

Christians seem to be ignorant of the bigger picture.

Don't just think 'Do unto others';
Weight that along with 'Everybody has the right to live hover they choose so long as it does not impact others in an adverse manner';
- And an understanding that you don't have the right to impose upon your fellow citizens with that which they oppose, and can negatively or detrimentally impact them.

'What is right?'
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 7 September 2019 5:18:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11