The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Choosing abortion is the greatest regret of my life > Comments

Choosing abortion is the greatest regret of my life : Comments

By Madeleine Weidemann, published 18/10/2018

I named my baby later to acknowledge the child that I was still grieving for. I began to imagine the life she could have had.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
NNS,

The link I gave is only one of many that are available
on the web - giving options for teen pregnancies.
I gave it merely as an example. Of course I would provide as
many options as I could find. That is part and parcel of
what I do. It's an occupational habit. I am a librarian
by profession and have worked in special, public,
university, national, and parliamentary libraries.

I trust that clarifies things for you.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 October 2018 1:52:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Your attempts, and those of Toni, to discredit her//

I haven't attempted to discredit her; I've attempted to discredit you because you seem to have a problem being honest. And that's another fib you've just told just there. You just can't help yourself, can you? Pathological.... I don't think there's much point continuing this discussion.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 27 October 2018 2:56:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Foxy. I hope you do give as much information as you can. And if you do, thank you. But I can't agree with abortion, or agree with the problem that it's used as a solution for. It seems like people don't even try to keep kids from having sex, or holding them to a standard to wait. So we give up. And that's a great loss.

My desire for medical practioners would be to give the three things I posted about. But if Madeline's experience is true, than there's likely a lot of them that don't give any opinion a full scope except abortion. A sad state of affairs, and should be an alarming issue is the cause is really for the girl to choose.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 27 October 2018 4:02:29 PM
NNS,

Thank You for sharing your thoughts on this very emotive
subject. Few issues in recent years have so divided
people as has the morality of abortion. It is frightening
that in some areas, like New York State, there are almost
as many abortions as live births. In short, abortion is
being used as a means of after-the-fact birth control.
To some people, this is a matter of no particular significance,
to others, it is little short of mass murder.

I really don't have anything else that I can add to this
discussion. For me it's now run it's course.

I look forward to our next discussion.

Have a nice evening.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 October 2018 7:39:37 PM

Dear BigAlOz,

All that you say may be true, BigAlOz, but, I’m afraid it’s only one side of the story. Before making any judgment, one should always carefully examine both sides of the story. Otherwise, the decision one makes is not equitable, fair and impartial. It is biased.

In the US, the risk of maternal death from abortion is 0.7 per 100,000 procedures, making abortion about 13 times safer for women than childbirth (8.8 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births).

There are no Australian statistics but the problematic is similar.

While maternal mortality seldom results from safe abortions, unsafe abortions result in 70,000 deaths and 5 million disabilities worldwide, each year. Complications of unsafe abortion account for approximately an eighth of maternal mortalities worldwide. Secondary infertility caused by an unsafe abortion affects an estimated 24 million women. The rate of unsafe [illegal] abortions has increased from 44% to 49% between 1995 and 2008.

Countries with restrictive abortion laws have higher rates of unsafe [illegal] abortion and similar overall abortion rates compared to those where abortion is legal and available. For example, the 1996 legalization of abortion in South Africa had an immediate positive impact on the frequency of abortion-related complications, with abortion-related deaths dropping by more than 90%. Similar reductions in maternal mortality have been observed after other countries have liberalized their abortion laws, such as Romania and Nepal.

This is not just philosophy or morality. It is fact and weighs heavily in the balance. It should also be taken into account when considering the pros and cons of legalised abortion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

I think you will agree that the real problem is how we raise our children. How we educate them and accompany them in their daily lives from birth to adulthood, remaining at their disposal thereafter.

In my view, there is no such divide as Pro-Life and Pro-Choice. There is just Pro-Whatever is Best for all concerned in each particular case, without any ideological considerations or preconceived ideas.

I already indicated in my previous post what I think would be best for Madelene.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 27 October 2018 10:43:04 PM
Banjo,

Claims that abortion is safer than childbirth are not true. Studies that look at the relative safety of abortion versus childbirth rely on incomplete data as most of the Western world does not collect data on the number of abortions, or abortion-related complications or deaths.

When they do occur, many deaths are attributable to the immediate presenting concern, such as infection or haemorrhage, not the underlying cause of abortion. They also fail to consider the psychological trauma, including the increased risk of suicide and other self-destructive behaviour after an abortion.

See a 2012 presentation by Professor Priscilla Coleman at http://realchoices.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Coleman_Abortion-Related-Mortality.pdf

In fact, there are studies that suggest that women are at a much lower risk of death from many causes after childbirth. For more information, see http://realchoices.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/chidlbirth-abortion.pdf and http://realchoices.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Medical_Science_Monitor_Danish-study_9_12.pdf

Making abortion legal or illegal has never, historically, made the slightest difference to the safety of women. Medicine alone, not the law, has achieved all the gains in maternal safety. See an excellent On Line Opinion article by Dr David van Gend in 2004 explaining this at http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=2741 .

See also the Appendix of his submission to the Queensland Parliament Health Committee inquiry into the Termination of Pregnancy Bill, which you will see was censored by the committee because its members did not want to know the reality of what abortion entailed. The Appendix is on Pages 14 to 18 at http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/committees/HCDSDFVPC/2018/TerminationOfPregnancyB18/submissions/461.pdf .

Third world countries need antibiotics and blood transfusion services, not abortion, if they are to reduce mortality from any and all pregnancy-related conditions
Posted by BigAlOz, Sunday, 28 October 2018 12:33:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All