The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cynicism about Jesus as an Easter 'treat' > Comments

Cynicism about Jesus as an Easter 'treat' : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 4/4/2018

Don't be so ridiculous as to expect Australian secular people to support the original meaning of Easter. We are into chocolate and not that religious stuff!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Special Delivery,

I'm not aware of any archaeological finds that have uncovered specifically the tablets on which the 10 Commandments were written.

However, archaeologists regularly uncover material that confirms the reliability of OT and NT. Here is one recent example:

"Now for the first time, one hundred and ten, 2,500 year old Babylonian tablets have been discovered in Iraq which provide a glimpse of Jewish life in Babylonian exile. Put simply, the tablets corroborate the Biblical tale. They describe a town called Al-Yahudu i.e., “the village of the Jews”, by the river Chebar, mentioned in Ezekiel 1:1. They also attest to Judaic names such as “Gedalyahu”, “Hanan”, “Dana”, “Shaltiel” and a man with the same name as Israel’s current Prime Minister, “Netanyahu”. The “yahu” ending to these names is called “theophoric”, meaning, they attest to a belief in the God of the Torah, by including part of God’s name in people’s personal names. The tablets also record everyday business transactions and witness to the Jewish return to Jerusalem (Nehemiah 6:15-16), as commemorated in personal names such as “Yashuv Zadik”, meaning, “the righteous shall return [to Zion]” (2,500 Year Old Jewish Tablets Discovered in Iraq, 2017), at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/simcha-jacobovici/2500-year-old-jewish-tabl_b_6579996.html

Jesus included the content of the Ten Commandments in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) so there is no need to wait for the tablets of the 10 Commandments to be found. The NT has been demonstrated over and over by scholars to be a reliable document. See Craig Blomberg, "The Historical Reliability of the Gospels".

Your put down of believers by calling them a planet of morons who can't wipe ... and don't know God's address or phone number, is an Ad Hominem (Abusive) fallacy. It displays your fallacious reasoning. See: https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/1/Ad_Hominem_Abusive
Posted by OzSpen, Saturday, 7 April 2018 8:57:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Jesus included the content of the Ten Commandments in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7'
So you would have me believe that in a day and age where an education is virtually a given, a person is incapable of passing on a message in the same day exactly as he /she received it, that one is able to remember verbatim that which occurred but wasn't there, but was able to say Matthew recorded it on papyrus from Office Works, about something that happened at least a century before?
Excuse me but I have to tend to my flying camels......and if you see Matthew.... say 'hello from me.
Posted by Special Delivery, Sunday, 8 April 2018 2:57:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Special Delivery,

Sadly, this is another dumping of your presuppositions in this forum's comments. I encourage you to deal with the evidence I presented and not serve up another red herring.

We can't have a reasonable discussion when you do this.
Posted by OzSpen, Sunday, 8 April 2018 8:00:38 AM
//Halal certification, for example, had absolutely nothing to do with the Easter celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection.//

Neither did whining about people buying confectionery, which was how you commenced your article and what Shadow was responding to in his post.

//Neither did the ad hominem fallacy of labelling believers as 'dim-witted "theists"'.//

That's not an ad hominem fallacy, that's just an insult, you vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert. Can't you tell the difference? This video might help clear things up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

Stupid git.

//I encourage you to deal with the evidence I presented//

What evidence? You never presented any bloody evidence in the first place; just a lot of whining about postmodernism with the hastily tacked-on conclusion that if postmodernism is bunk, then the Bible must be true and Jesus must have been a zombie. You don't expect non-sequiturs like that to persuade anyone, do you? [rhetorical]

//Luke "carefully investigated everything from the beginning", as any competent researcher would do (Luke 1:1-4).//

So the the Gospel of Luke is reliable because the Gospel of Luke says the Gospel of Luke is reliable? [rhetorical]

Do you know what question-begging means, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings? [not rhetorical]

//However, archaeologists regularly uncover material that confirms the reliability of OT and NT. Here is one recent example:

"Now for the first time, one hundred and ten, 2,500 year old Babylonian tablets have been discovered in Iraq which provide a glimpse of Jewish life in Babylonian exile. Put simply, the tablets corroborate the Biblical tale. They describe a town called Al-Yahudu i.e., “the village of the Jews”, by the river Chebar, mentioned in Ezekiel 1:1.//

Text-book Spider-Man fallacy:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Spiderman%20Fallacy

//We can't have a reasonable discussion when you do this.//

Then you should knock it off. After all, you're being fallacious:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:The_Debater_Debacle
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 8 April 2018 10:11:49 AM
Toni,

So you say of this, "You never presented any bloody evidence in the first place".

"Now for the first time, one hundred and ten, 2,500 year old Babylonian tablets have been discovered in Iraq which provide a glimpse of Jewish life in Babylonian exile. Put simply, the tablets corroborate the Biblical tale. They describe a town called Al-Yahudu i.e., “the village of the Jews”, by the river Chebar, mentioned in Ezekiel 1:1. They also attest to Judaic names such as “Gedalyahu”, “Hanan”, “Dana”, “Shaltiel” and a man with the same name as Israel’s current Prime Minister, “Netanyahu”. The “yahu” ending to these names is called “theophoric”, meaning, they attest to a belief in the God of the Torah, by including part of God’s name in people’s personal names. The tablets also record everyday business transactions and witness to the Jewish return to Jerusalem (Nehemiah 6:15-16), as commemorated in personal names such as “Yashuv Zadik”, meaning, “the righteous shall return [to Zion]” (2,500 Year Old Jewish Tablets Discovered in Iraq, 2017), at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/simcha-jacobovici/2500-year-old-jewish-tabl_b_6579996.html".

We can't have a responsible conversation when you carry on like this.

Bye, bye!
Posted by OzSpen, Sunday, 8 April 2018 5:51:26 PM
//"Now for the first time, one hundred and ten, 2,500//

I already addressed your stupid little Spider-Man fallacy in my last post, you daft twat. I guess you don't read so good, huh?

//We can't have a responsible conversation when you carry on like this.//

When I carry on like this? Not going to take any responsibility for your own ridiculous carrying on, then? Jesus mate, Matthew 7:5: sort yourself out before you bag anyone else.

//Bye, bye!//

Catch ya on the flipside.

Worst Christian apologist ever.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 8 April 2018 9:08:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy