The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A future without Adani > Comments

A future without Adani : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 23/2/2018

The water needed to open up the black soil country for agriculture can easily be diverted from the tropical rivers of the north at an affordable cost.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I agree with every bit of this article.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 23 February 2018 8:18:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read a book 70 years ago on this subject. I was written by Ian Idriess. I think the title mentioned a boomerang of land from coastal north Queensland to the inland plains suitable for irrigation.

Idriess proposed dams on North Queensland coastal rivers and diversion of coastal rainfall water through the northern Great Dividing Range to those inland plains.
John Turner
Posted by Foyle, Friday, 23 February 2018 9:07:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How can the politicians have got this so wrong? They rely on advisers and if it is as glaringly obvious this is a hopeless idea how did it get to this point?
Alternatively is this the usual push by the usual subjects to stop anything progressive in our country?
Questions, questions.
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 23 February 2018 11:47:01 AM
A scheme like that was mooted around the turn of the last century but rejected due to the horrendous cost!

Moreover, entirely dependant on rainfall, that can be impacted on by evaporation etc.

We never ever needed Adani! Just political Leaders with both vision and balls. Prepared to finance some relatively modest research into molten salt thorium based power. And just because it's the most energy dense material in the world and the promise of very safe, extremely clean, ultra cheap energy, with a median of less than an estimated 2 cents per KwH.

Couple power costing that little to new, space age deionization dialysis desalination; and we can put truly affordable potable water virtually anywhere.

Even massive desert region irrigation projects that will forever change the face of our Australia and the numbers she can sustain! And the enormous new wealth and job opportunities she can create!

All that's missing is true patriotism and in this nation's leaders or alternative leaders!

That's all, nothing else prevents this vision splendid!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 February 2018 11:47:39 AM
I'm completely on board with Alan B on this one. If only we had the right pollies we could start installing thorium reactors and all our problems would be solved within six months of next Tuesday week.

What's that you say?....commercial thorium reactors don't exist?

Please don't bother me with frivolous detail.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 23 February 2018 12:10:41 PM
Alan B, you are very passionate about thorium and I do not want to be disparaging or rude but what is stopping this? I cannot believe that if there was even an outside chance that someone would not have had a go at thorium?
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 23 February 2018 12:10:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy