The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What it means to vote 'No' > Comments

What it means to vote 'No' : Comments

By Mitchell Barrington, published 31/10/2017

Yet manyof us simultaneously hold beliefs about how others’ private lives ought to conform to our standards.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Being left handed is not normal! Although as with all normal aberrations within "normal," transferred to the "different" by genetic transfer, over which they have absolutely no control or say!

And just as left handed folk don't and can't EVER CHOOSE to be born left handed, neither can those described as homosexual.

By all means object to irresponsible hedonistic behaviour, be it by wife swapping immoral heterosexuals of or condom avoiding homosexuals!

However moral responsibility by the gender normal or the gender different is not the question!

Just whether the different should be accorded the same civil rights as the perceived normal! This is the only issue on the table!

What occurs between consenting adults a completely different topic and issue!

Yes I get and share complete repugnance toward anal sex!

Particularly that forced on children by alleged pastoral carers in institutions, where children are removed to make them safe! Again, not pertinent to the question!

Which is, should those unfortunate few born different, be accorded the same civil rights as other folk? And that my friends is the only question!

And not whether anal sex is immoral or just unhygienic!

And yes the spread of aids is germane, especially if medically acquired! Yet still not the question!

If any normal heterosexual is willing to spend the rest of their life as a celibate, be refused family and or children/normal property rights and inheritance!

Then let them ask as much of others/the different!?
Alan B
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 31 October 2017 3:00:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
// I mean honestly, what health practitioner would recommend sucking on a used toilet brush//

Homeopaths.

//The body simply wasn't designed for that purpose//

The body wasn't designed at all: it evolved.

The tongue evolved to taste things, to facilitate swallowing food and drink, and to form the sounds required for our complex speech patterns.

It did not evolve for cunnilingus, but blokes still use it for that. So I guess that makes me a sodomite. Oh well... a choice between being labelled a sodomite by nostalgics pining for the Victorian era when they were young, and not eating pussy? That's a no-brainer.

//which makes it an unnatural act.//

Nah, I disagree. I don't buy the argument that humans were teleologically designed, so I don't believe that you can score an action's naturalness on how closely it aligns to some imagined purpose. As far as I can see, the only reasonable metric for determining naturalness (in this context, natural in the sense of 'not artificial', i.e. not created by man) is to observe whether or not it occurs in nature.

And sodomy does. Most mammalian species, to a greater or lesser extent, engage in some degree of sodomy, and buggery to boot. It seems to be something we do because we're animals, not something we do uniquely because we're the smartest type of ape.

But even if we take it as axiomatic that sodomy is indeed unnatural, it's not clear to me why that's necessarily a bad thing. Medical science is unnatural. The high yield agricultural practises we need to sustain such a large human population are unnatural. The refrigeration technology needed to preserve that food is unnatural. Books are unnatural. Trains are unnatural. Useful electricity is unnatural. The internet is unnatural. Cunnilingus is unnatural.

I love unnatural things.

//What I do object to is the teaching of our children//

What does that have to do with the SSM survey? It's a survey about what rights adults (i.e. not children) should be allowed to have, not how children should be raised and educated.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 31 October 2017 3:58:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe all people are equal regardless of sexuality.
However that does not mean all relationships are equal.
People can of course do what they like. Their right to do so is beyond question; this survey is to determine how the nation should respond to the exercising of that right, on the basis that the laws of the nation should reflect the values of the people.

So the question then becomes: is it really no better for someone who is bisexual to spend the rest of his or her life with someone of the opposite sex than someone of the same sex?

And I certainly don't think so. I regard same sex relationships as ersatz, so I voted NO.

But I think my side will lose. Too many people campaigning for a NO vote tried to claim it was about the children. But if it were really about the children, I'd have probably voted YES.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 31 October 2017 4:00:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, left a word out of one of my sentences:

//Cunnilingus is unnatural.//

Should be:

\\Cunnilingus is debatably unnatural.\\

Mea culpa.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 31 October 2017 4:04:22 PM
we know Toni any failed ideology/dogma to let you think you are god. Pathetic really.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 31 October 2017 4:14:42 PM
//we know Toni any failed ideology/dogma to let you think you are god. Pathetic really.//

Homeopaths... they're a touchy bunch, aren't they?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 31 October 2017 4:34:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy