The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is the idea of God 'perfectly logical'? > Comments

Is the idea of God 'perfectly logical'? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 2/11/2017

The atheists that Sheridan then goes on to abuse would be laughing because he gives them such an easy target.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
If it were possible (it isn't) to prove that God exists, then worship of God would be cheap, logical, pragmatic and trivial, then religion would merely come down to a form of commerce.

True religion comes when you understand that God may not or even does not exist, yet you pray:

"Dear Lord, I don't care whether you exist or not, I love you regardless! Let others believe that my logic is faulty, or maybe it even is, let me be abused for that, let me be men's laughing stock, mocked, misunderstood, despised, rejected, even locked up in a mental institution, but I will still unceasingly love and worship you till my last breath - please give me the strength to love you forever, Amen".

Now this is impressive, this is the right spirit!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 2 November 2017 4:17:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You've written some very good points Peter. Expecially about discussing Christianity without having anything Christian in it. (Such as no mention of Jesus). I'd like to say keep it up, and I hope you do. However there is one thing I'd like to offer.

Consider the parable of the 4 soils. In it though there are several discriptions of people's response to the seed (the message of the Kingdom of Heaven), the seed was still given to all. I think this might be where we as Christian lack sometimes. We try to prepare the message to our audience, by first proving that God exists and that the message is worth while. Sometimes that's as far as we get because of people voicing their doubts and critisms. Maybe we should just spread the word, and let the seed grow by God's power and doing.

To have a more public influence host more bible studies, or have public lessons on bible verses like on this website. The seeds will be scattered, and those who disagree will undoubtely show up. But who knows. The effort might be worth it even if unseen. Spreading the word as we know it from the source, might produce a crop in others to Hear God's written word, and be saved because of it.

Good luck and keep it up. Please also understand though that other Christians are doing this as well. Encourage them in their efforts. Though I very much like many of your points, it's can't be excaped that the point is to address other Christian writers and show how they are wrong. If you must correct someone so be it. But if they say nothing that disagrees with the bible, then encourage them in their efforts.

Again good luck and keep it up.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Thursday, 2 November 2017 7:03:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not now soon.
Thanks I will.
Pete
Posted by Sells, Thursday, 2 November 2017 9:06:04 PM
Odin is going to smite all you heathens.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 2 November 2017 9:46:42 PM
Oh, runner. How you so often forget Matthew 5:21!

"... but whosoever shall say, "Thou fool", shall be in danger of hell fire."
Posted by AJ Philips, Thursday, 2 November 2017 10:04:50 PM
Dear Peter,
Thanks for calling my attention to the most interesting article “Is God dead? The West has much to lose in banishing Christianity” by Greg Sheridan.

Sadly, in the first half of your article you also provided a good atheist argument against his one sentence, namely that “Our intuition of God is admissible evidence, it is part of the reason we believe”, although Sheridan's article is certainly not about evidence.

More explicitly,
- nowhere does he claim that God’s existence can be proved,
- evidence is mentioned only as quoted above, which is not the same as claiming to have “evidence that such a Being exists”,
- Jesus is explicitly mentioned there twice and the New Testament many times.

We have been over this disagreement (whether or not God of the philosophers corresponds to God of the Bible) between us two many times. So let me just emphasise it by adding:

When I agree with Sheridan’s

“As we cut ourselves off ever more comprehensively from the roots of our civilisation, our civilisation will be damaged”,

I think that BOTH the Bible and the intellectual richness of centuries of Christian philosophy (and science) belong to these roots.
Posted by George, Friday, 3 November 2017 10:08:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy