The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An America after Trump > Comments

An America after Trump : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 17/1/2017

We may conclude that this is the final verdict on the American Experiment; that the philosophies that founded the nation have come home to roost.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
We don't yet know whether Donald Trump will be a poor president, a good president or a great president. We do know, however, that if Hillary Clinton had been elected she'd have been a corrupt president.

And enough Americans knew that. So she's not.

As someone who tipped a Trump victory from March last year, I'm very pleased that he has been elected. He has also picked a solid cabinet and from what we've seen of his personal staff, they all seem very competent.

Which flies in the face of the would-be totalitarian Left who caused violence during the presidential race, who caused violence and destruction of property after the election - did someone mention narcissists? - and who are promising more such destruction and obstruction for the inauguration. Their obsession with the "popular" vote seems to be part of a mass psychosis, probably a result of very poor education, since the US Constitution provides no prize whatsoever for winning most votes, just most Electoral College votes in most states. I hope that if such obstruction and destruction begins on Saturday, our time, they are met with the full force of the law, pour encourager les autres.

Let us be clear: criticism of Trump, particularly from the likes of Peter Sellick and others who have never met him, never will, but feel self-important because of their facile moral posturing, contributes nothing to the betterment of humanity.

They are, for the most part, the same people who went for the "Hope and Change" scam that delivered the worst president in US history, the bloke who gave Iran access to nuclear weapons, who sold out Israel at the UN, the bloke who almost doubled US national debt during his presidency, the bloke who kow-towed to the Saudi King, who lied about his knowledge of Clinton's unsecured emails, the man who lied about the scope and cost of Obamacare and whose only real achievement in eight years was to watch live TV while Navy seals killed Osama bin Laden.

Donald Trump would have to be a really, really poor president to match that.
Posted by calwest, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 2:09:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, he hasn't even been sworn in yet and already everyone's talking about golden showers, so I guess we'll wait and see.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 10:27:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it is a sign of the times that we fail to judge character, or even think it is necessary to judge character. We have lost any understanding of what virtues we would look for in a leader that we find ourselves deliberately agnostic concerning an aspirants capabilities. It does not seem to matter that Trump is an immature fraud. Such judgments are lost in the polarisation between us ordinary citizens and the elite. The elite being those who have spent their lives honing their statecraft. This is just ignorant bigotry.
Posted by Sells, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 11:17:05 PM
"we fail to judge character"!

Depends if the author has it.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 11:31:28 PM
I'm sick to death of all the know-it-all know nothings having their two cents worth on Trump.

Sells,
It's not ignorant bigotry mate, its just plain ignorance - on your behalf.
You, like all your other Clinton criminal cohorts can't get your pea sized brains around it so you all keep going on and on like a bloody cracked record.

Do you idiots think I want the leaders who sell this country out that YOU all choose for me every few damn years?
I don't require a dress, tissues, play-doh, LEGO's or Safe Spaces every time I have to face one of your idiots running the show..
Honestly I've seen 4yo kids act more mature than this.
Get over it, learn to live with it or you know, you can always go kick yourself off a cliff.

The biggest problem here is the people that think they know something that actually don't know shite.
I'm getting tired of hearing them moan and whine with all their baseless arguments and neverending broken brain farts..

The reason they can't work out out is a failure to listen to the other sides point of view.
Too busy listening to the stupid voices in their own heads.

I'm not even going to bother trying to set you straight.
It's more satisfying to think of your unsettled brain doing circles like a dog chasing its tail and slowly burning out of its own accord.

Trump won. Deal with it.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 1:30:41 AM

Dear Peter,

You concluded :

« The Church must be at the forefront in limiting the damage that Trump will do. Now is the time to preach obviously political sermons denouncing him »

We have already witnessed the devastation caused by the onslaught of political Islam on our democracies.

As an Anglican deacon, I think you should abstain from political activism and respect the principle of strict “laïcité”. Religion has no place as a normative political ideology in the world's modern democracies. It is even questionable as to whether it has ever had any place :

[ Matthew 22:17-22New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

17 Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not ?
18 But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why are you putting me to the test, you hypocrites ?
19 Show me the coin used for the tax. And they brought him a denarius.
20 Then he said to them, Whose head is this, and whose title ?
21 They answered, The emperor’s. Then he said to them, Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.
22 When they heard this, they were amazed; and they left him and went away.]

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 2:31:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy