The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cabal of human rights fantasists serves no purpose > Comments

Cabal of human rights fantasists serves no purpose : Comments

By Gary Johns, published 17/11/2016

Alas, the greatest threat to free speech remains: the commission itself. It houses a cabal of human rights fantasists who aim to override the law in the name of a self-defined greater good.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Agree with every word! I would just add one point. I would happily give up some of my own 'privileged rights' (as the victim classes usually like to call them) if I could see that my sacrifice has brought or could bring about one scintilla of benefit to the oppressed, the underprivileged, the disenfranchised and all those other victims. I can't. As for the claims of some advocates that laws like 18C are needed to prevent the next Holocaust, I have to say as an ex-Jew (which by the way is a status that, on racial grounds, neither Hitler nor Judaism itself would allow me) that this is hopelessly optimistic nonsense. The real threats that fanatical ideologies present to all of us (not just Jews and ex-Jews) come from people for whom the prospects of recognition of any of the 'rights' of others are precisely zero.
Posted by Tombee, Thursday, 17 November 2016 7:50:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Tombee,

A Report of the Productivity Commission in today's Australian, on a thousand Indigenous organisations, found only 24 met satisfactory levels of accountability and performance. Those 24 should be publicised, given extra funds, promoted, feted, emulated, and maybe even given the NAIDOC Indigenous Organisation of the Year prize. The rest should be put on notice for scrapping.

In connection with Bill Leak's brilliant and spot-on cartoon, here is a tarted-up report of the ZBS on Aboriginal child mortality:

https://www.dpmc.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/indigenous/Health-Performance-Framework-2014/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-health-performance-framework-2014-report/key-findings.html

Why 'tarted-up' ? Check out the graph at Figure 3, and see if it shows that (as it claims further down) "There was also a significant decline in the mortality rate for Indigenous children aged 0–4 years (31%) and a significant narrowing of the gap (35%) between 1998 and 2013."

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

According to Fig. 3, the Aboriginal child mortality rate has barely declined at all since 1998, and is currently three times higher than for non-Aboriginal children. So while some people's feelings are hurt, kids die.

In a Report of the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Tables 3),

www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=60129548468

mortality rates for Indigenous children are 4-5 times higher than for other Australians. Given that working/urban Indigenous people make up more than half of the total Indigenous population, and have roughly the same mortality rates as other Australians, this suggests that the mortality rates in remote settings is at least ten times higher than for non-Indigenous people.

Thank God for brave and decent people like Bill Leak, shining a light into the dark corners of remote existence. Let the truth prevail.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 17 November 2016 9:08:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Soupsoon, Trigg and Turnbull should all be on jail.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 17 November 2016 9:55:02 AM
Deluded article!

Far from being fantasists who want to override the law, they're lawyers who want to apply it!
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 17 November 2016 11:15:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I disagree with everything you say John, but would and have, put my life on the line to preserve your right to say it! Just joking!

While my life has been on the line, if the world was full of folks like you, I'd have just stayed at home?

I Understand now, why you lost your seat! Probably around the same time you lost any semblance of normal, human empathy? Jawohl?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 17 November 2016 12:20:51 PM
when the human rights commission show one ounce of compassion to the babies being slaughtered in the womb they might gain an inch of credibilty.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 17 November 2016 12:37:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy