The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > China’s environmental record goes up in smoke > Comments

China’s environmental record goes up in smoke : Comments

By Asher Judah, published 27/8/2015

At present, China is home to the world’s largest dustbowl and 16 of the world’s 20 most polluted cities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
China, the curse of the West. These bogans can't be trusted in their own back yard, how much less in our own!
These slimey Gogs from Magog, slide in under the banner of multiculturalism, welcomed by the dolts from the tribe of Canberra; praising the Chinese lords, laying Palm leaves on the road of the Chinese victory march.
"What abject short sighted fools are Australians"! The Chinese view.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 27 August 2015 10:27:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes! If only they could use the brains they were born with they would decommission all of their hugely polluting coal fired power stations and replace them with nuclear power tomorrow!

Incidentally, all that raw sewage could be treated in cheap onsite power projects that #1, eliminate raw sewage from flowing anywhere,#2 powerup every home that doesn't yet have it with ultra reliable 24/7 cheap power,#3 produce among other things, safe reusable industrial water and sanitised carbon loaded soil improver!

However, one can be sure the anti-nuclear lobby will be there with bells on trying to prevent the clean up with the only "AFFORDABLE" means currently possible; baseload nuclear power! Rhrosty
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 27 August 2015 10:40:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
China's economic development has lifted hundreds of millions of people from abject poverty in a single generation – the largest and fastest improvement in human welfare in history, far outstripping the industrial revolutions in Europe and North America. If most of your population is living below the breadline, as was the case in China in the 1970s, then you are going to prioritise economic and income growth even if it is at the expense of environmental destruction.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/china/overview

The early stages of industrialisation are usually dirty and messy. As countries become richer, they are less prepared to sacrifice environmental and social values for higher incomes. I think China is reaching this point now. It has a hell of a long way to go, and unfortunately totalitarian regimes have a poorer record on environmental and social protection than democracies, but I think it will start to reduce its most egregious environmental impacts
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 27 August 2015 3:28:05 PM
Rhosty ..your idea re nuclear power plants would, under normal circumstances, be progressive, however, Chinese can't be trusted with anything resembling safety.
This is a country which poisons its babies with deliberately contaminated baby formula.
Unwanted new born babies are fed to the dogs. We are not discussing humans here, they are truly Gogs from the country of Magog.
Even the sophisticated Japanese can't be trusted with nuclear reactors. Neither can the Russians, and neither can the USA. all have an abysmal history with nuclear energy.
Germany has pulled the pin on reactor power.
If humans could be trusted to do the right thing, then I agree with you: But sadly, they can't !
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 27 August 2015 7:46:54 PM
diver dan, how about some good Australian invented olivine?
Look, Chinese people helped develop Australia and many of the families have continued living here as Australians.
Why be so disrespectful of Chinese people?
China was a world leader hundreds of years before Australia was even 'discovered'.

Chinese are clever people.
After Marco Polo discovered China in the 1100's he went back to Europe with samples of many things, silk, spices, and even paper money.
When Europeans saw the paper money they considered it useless because they said it had no value, and it was not until 400 years later that Europe started using paper money for the first time.

Now in our own lifetime we have witnessed introduction of plastic money. And money that melts overnight on stock
markets.

Chinese people are wise, I see it today in news reports.
News Ltd has a 'news' report with Australia's climate man Flannery talking about olivine, and growing algae in 9 percent of the world oceans surface.
But wisely that 9 percent algae part of the story is not included in the duplicate news in China.

What I talk about here is an example of how dumbed down Australian media actually is. It's not just readers who are dumbed down in AUS.

Based on evidence of substance I have, growing algae over 9 percent of the oceans surface would increase ocean warmth in that immediate area of ocean, plus in other waters where currents could transport that warmth or part thereof.

In my opinion photosynthesis-linked warmth in ocean algae plant matter has not been measured and assessed in AGW IPCC and Kyoto associated science.

I think Prof Flannery has a lot to learn.
For a start, seaweed is the colloquial term for algae.
And I think this news of Professor Flannery is quite amazing.......
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/seaweed-could-help-in-climate-fight/story-e6frfku9-1227499206980

China leaves out the 9 percent......
http://www.globalpost.com/article/6636331/2015/08/25/seaweed-has-potential-combat-climate-change-australian-environmentalist

Algae is now known as linked to warmth in Arctic waters at least.
In my opinion algae is linked to ocean warmth worldwide.
I think the problem is algae, not CO2.
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/algae-accelerate-arctic-warming-18929

It is inevitable impact of algae be realized.
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 27 August 2015 10:27:40 PM
JFAus.

Well, for a man like yourself that advances a pro-Chinese sentiment ,after fifty years of diving and ocean research, I would have to interpret your conclusions as evidence of mental deficiency.

I'll rest my case on the strength of the death seventy five million sharks a year to satisfy a lust for shark-fin soup! ..Just for starters.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 28 August 2015 1:18:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy