The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reclaiming 'multicultural' Australia > Comments

Reclaiming 'multicultural' Australia : Comments

By Alice Aslan, published 27/7/2015

The lack of an intelligent and compassionate national conversation about Muslims and Islam by the politicians and in the media has fueled Islamophobia and anti-Islamic movements like Reclaim Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Dear Shocker,

Your ridiculous little opinions have been
noted.

Dear Cody,

You know me so well.

It must have taken you all night to think up
that response.

Well done!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 30 July 2015 6:35:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shockadelic

Yes that’s right, the risk of actually being killed by a particular type of person is a function of the probability of them committing murder and the number of such people there are. So even if you are right to assume that a Muslim is more likely to kill you than a non-Muslim, that probability is so vanishingly small that it makes no material difference to your chance of dying. In Australia, you are much more likely to be killed by a dog or a bee than a terrorist. And our Muslims neighbours are much less likely to kill us by drink-driving and alcohol-fuelled violence, which account for far more deaths and injuries than terrorism.

As I mentioned in my post above, I do think that radical Islam is a real problem that Muslims must address. That’s why I disliked this article, which brushes off legitimate as well as unfounded criticism. But vilifying an entire religion and its adherents for the actions of a small minority is not justified
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 30 July 2015 7:12:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy "Your ridiculous little opinions have been noted."

And your clueless avoidance has too.
Please keep underestimating my intelligence.

Rhian

"that probability is so vanishingly small"

But growing all the time.
Thanks to immigration.
Something we can easily control (airport/harbour entry) unlike most complex social problems.

Numbers aren't even all that important to consequences.
It only took 19 terrorists to kill 2996 people on 9/11.

It may also not take too many Australians to start a civil war or revolution.
That is another risk that rises every day while immigration keeps running full steam ahead.

The Australian "Troubles" will all be the fault of people like you and Foxy, who refused to see the dangers or hear the warnings, when you had ample opportunity to do so.

Purely out of vanity.
The desire to flatter your ego about how "nice" you are.
Posted by Shockadelic, Thursday, 30 July 2015 10:40:27 PM
Dear Shocker,

It has nothing to do with ego or vanity.

However, there is a certain "internet law."

Never play chess with a pigeon.
It knocks the pieces over, craps on the board,
and flies back to its flock to claim victory.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 30 July 2015 11:20:48 PM
Foxy, you're not even playing chess.

You just wave your hands over the pieces as if you've done something.

Then lean back in your chair with a smug look and act like you've won, when you never even moved a single pawn.
Posted by Shockadelic, Friday, 31 July 2015 10:25:07 AM
Dear Shocker,

Poor pigeon.

You are getting checkers confused with chess.
But never mind I shall politely explain things to you:

Chess is an infinitely complex game, which
one can play in infinitely numerous and
varied ways.

What chess teaches you is that you must sit there calmly
and thin about whether it is really a good idea and
whether there are other better ideas.

In life, as in chess, forethought wins.

See you on another discussion.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 31 July 2015 10:56:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All