The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racists and Jihadis both have the right of free speech > Comments

Racists and Jihadis both have the right of free speech : Comments

By Marko Beljac, published 20/7/2015

One is in favour of speech for views one despises for otherwise one is not in favour of free speech.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
What's so precious about free speech?

What's so special and sacred about talking, loudly, as opposed to all other actions that are currently restricted?

It's not really about the freedom to talk and say things, because one may already say whatever they want and whenever they want in their home and in the company of their friends and family - it's all about saying the same in public spaces where others can hear, including others who do not wish to hear your words, including those who would be offended by them.

In other words, it's all about the freedom to disturb the peace of strangers. Why for example is urinating in public not tolerated, yet speaking loudly words of a similar quality into the ears of passers-by is considered a sacred cow?

Further, the "freedom of speech" is considered a last resort to scream for help in anguish over government brutality, but doesn't it indirectly justify that same brutality? Doesn't it allow the government to maintain the attitude of: "if you have been wronged and oppressed by us - then go ahead and scream! Nothing would change of course because we never listen anyway, but now the responsibility would become yours for not screaming loud enough and failing to convince enough voters".

Let there be true freedom and non-interference in one's private life and on one's own premises and let no one be forced to leave theirs and enter public spaces, then there would be no need to extend similar freedoms to public spaces where people voluntarily visit for mingling with others peacefully.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 July 2015 6:23:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that genuine free speech means that neither racists nor jihad supporters should be silenced. But I still think Q&A showed poor judgement in inviting Zaky Mallah to participate in the show, for the same reason I would not support it inviting know racists to spout their views. There is a difference between freedom to say something and being invited to propound it at the taxpayers’ expense.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 20 July 2015 6:51:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bush bunny,

Sadly, Islamic fundamentalism is not restricted to the men.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 20 July 2015 7:06:27 PM
Rhian: I would not support it inviting know racists to spout their views.

Why not. They have & are entitled to tell you their point of view, just as the Jihad's are. I have said before. Unless you hear what they have to say then you cannot form an opinion. If you have a personal opinion then it may be a preformed opinion & may be wrong based on your own prejudices.

Some things the other party says may be correct. If you chose to reject that based on your own prejudices then you are at fault. Whichever side you are on.

I embrace Democracy, yet I know that some things about it can be exploited by the rich & powerful. There are things about Communism that would serve people better than Democracy. Weighing it all up there is much more about Communism I don't like, so I go with Democracy. Seeking to change those things that need to be changed for the betterment of all people.

The crux of the matter is that you must be able to hear & listen to the other argument, quietly, to form a properly balanced opinion.

Maybe Reclaim Australian are not Racist, maybe they are protesting about moslems being Racist. Isn't that Racist?

As their "Religion" says that all moslems must kill the unbelievers where ever they find them. All moslems are devout, so they must do as their Koran says.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 20 July 2015 9:01:19 PM
Hi Jayb

I agree racists should be free to spout their views, but not on Q&A. It’s a question of the kind of program Q&A wants to be. If it wants to attract serious players – senior politicians, internationally recognised experts etc. – to discuss real issues of the day, it needs to set some standards. It can’t spend too much time dabbling in the ideological fringes, or inviting questions from audience members who are patent fruitcakes, or giving a platform to advocates of gang rape such as Mallah.

Forums such as Online Opinion are great for airing a diversity of views and prompting lively debate. Q&A is a different genre and should have different quality control standards.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 20 July 2015 9:33:03 PM
Rhian: Q&A is a different genre and should have different quality control standards.

Do you mean it's sort of upper class & toffee nosed & should concern it's self with those "unmentionable" things?

On which other programmes, on what Channels, do you think it would be appropriate to Air these "unmentionables?"

The ABC is only watched by those who think they are Upper Class & above the Common Riff Raff & Fanatics of one sort or another. My experience on going to "Getup" Conferences. Ok, some Bogans do, but only to watch Dr. Who & some Comedies.

Rhian: It can’t spend too much time dabbling in the ideological fringes, or inviting questions from audience members who are patent fruitcakes,

Now Rhian, you can't have it both ways. The only people who audience these Programmes are the Ideological fringe & Fruitcakes.

I'll have to disagree with you on this. Having the Toffee Nose & the Fringe element on these Programmes is a good thing because it allows the Bogans (their opinion of us) to make an informed opinion based on the Loonies or the Panel. If we ever watch the Programme, that is.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 21 July 2015 8:25:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy