The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The death penalty is morally unacceptable > Comments

The death penalty is morally unacceptable : Comments

By David Swanton, published 4/3/2015

If it is wrong for one individual to kill another then it should be unacceptable for the state to cause a person's death in civilised societies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
If the ultimate penalty, death, is not a deterrent then no punishment is a deterrent; so why have gaols?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 6 March 2015 8:27:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What David and others are evading is the fact that the 'Republic of Indonesia' is an illegitimate power, and with the exception of Wahid havs never given a toss about any principle. The two Australians and other foreigners are being executing for domestic political reasons.

What Australians should be thinking about is what that Indonesian and other Indonesian policies reflect about the Indonesian public, their government, and whether Australia should be aiding or trying to protect itself from those aspects of its neighbour?
Posted by Daeron, Friday, 6 March 2015 8:34:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

<<If the ultimate penalty, death, is not a deterrent then no punishment is a deterrent; so why have gaols?>>

Because many do not share this belief that death is the ultimate penalty.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 6 March 2015 9:43:49 AM
LEGO
Why does the possibility that life imprisonment is worse than execution diminish the argument that the innocent are sometimes convicted? My point is that those wrongly imprisoned can be freed and compensated; those wrongly executed cannot.

Daeron
The article addresses the morality of the death penalty in general, not the specifics of the Bali 2. I agree that sovereign states make their own laws and penalties, but sometimes those laws are brutal and unjust, and we have every right to say so.

Is Mise
I don’t think the death penalty is not a deterrent, but it’s clearly not very effective. In the USA, states with the death penalty have higher murder rates on average than those without. The key question is whether it is more of a deterrent than the alternative - life imprisonment. This is where the evidence is mixed an inconclusive.

Even if neither the death penalty nor life imprisonment were deterrents, we would still have jails – to keep dangerous people off the streets, for punishment, and to provide opportunities for rehabilitation.
Posted by Rhian, Friday, 6 March 2015 10:49:53 AM
I'm sorry folks, what a lot of you are missing about this whole question of capital punishment, is that particular sentence is meant wholly as a 'punishment' nothing else. Not as a deterrent, a warning, a fiscal imperative (though some Nations may disagree?) nothing. It's a 'punishment' only, for taking another's life ! And as such, I don't agree with this ultimate sentence !

On another note, some have compared or contrasted, which is the worse of the two options ? Life imprisonment or being put to death ? Knowing maximum security gaols as I do, unless you're one tough, brutal dude, execution would be far more preferable, in my opinion.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 6 March 2015 11:06:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,

"Because many do not share this belief that death is the ultimate penalty".

Then what is the ultimate penalty?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 6 March 2015 12:06:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11