The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I am Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo > Comments

I am Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 19/1/2015

Soon, maybe in a few weeks, maybe longer, the Republic of Indonesia will execute two Australian heroin traffickers, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Just several points:

1. Prohibition hasn't worked in the past and won't ever work.

2. The problem is not pushers/peddlars or whatever prejorative supply side name you wish to use, the problem is USERS who want a particular drug whether it be because of addiction or perhaps they just like the effect it has. Any demand here will be satisfied by someone for a price

2. So yes their execution will be pointless given 1 & 2 above

3. They went in doing this knowing the potential consequences. So while I feel sorry for them they went in with their eyes open. Perhaps they should have their eyes open facing the firing squad?

As for any other compassion, no. The most I would give them is a Darwin award and even that is stretching it.

Regards
dkit
Posted by dkit, Monday, 19 January 2015 7:57:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shooting the messenger...

yeah, that always works Mr Ariel.

As an economist, it's a surprise you don't have even a rudimentary understanding of game theory or behavioural economics.
Posted by Craig Minns, Monday, 19 January 2015 8:33:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They knew full well all the risks, and the possibility that their personally transported for mere money, load would've killed half a dozen kids?

If you're willing to accept the consequences of a particular action, then take that action if you want to, or are stupid enough!

And be warned, we have no power to alter outcomes in sovereign lands, however much we might disagree with their laws or the death sentence.

If you want money, get out and do some honest work for it!
I mean, there are mining camps way out in whoop whoop, were food and very basic lodgings go with the job.

And where a man or a women, practicing sobriety and frugality, could save enough for almost anything.

Including several positively geared investment properties.

And if you're willing to accept the usual risks and responsibilities, become rich over time.

And in comparison to the man who spends twenty years inside for a series of petty thefts or drug running, far richer than any of them, and still living in comparative freedom, free from real want!

There's is always other "safe" choices, just not an easy or get rich quick way.

The problem with easy money, it goes out as quick as it came in, as opposed to something you personally sacrificed for, and therefore earned and or deserved; put a high value on; and get to keep/invest wisely!

Conversely, high profile criminal like Biggs, i.e., got hundreds of thousands from the Great train robbery, yet died a very sick pauper, living on the charity and goodwill of others!

What's a drug mule get?
A few lousy thousand, and at what risk?

Suppose a few bags blow up inside?
Will you completely recover, or ever?
You'd likely make more selling your arse here; and at no greater risk?

Sorry, but my natural sympathies are reserved for those who deserve it!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 19 January 2015 10:31:57 AM
They took the ricks. They'll pay the penalty. Australia should have the same rules. "You don't understand," is not an excuse.

Why do they have to wait so long to carry out sentencing? Get sentenced, have an appeal a week later, then, Bang. Keeping them in prison is costing a fortune.

It's only the Lawyers that want to prolong the procedure, for the money they make.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 19 January 2015 11:40:54 AM
I see this the same as those poor illegals on Manus Island. The few are suffering for the sake of the bigger picture. It is tragic. The Government has certainly saved thousands of drownings and the entrance of many more undesirables into this great country. The 'regressives'preferred ideology (this including the drownings) over commonsense and even compassion. The Greens/Labour displayed absolute hypocrisy. Now as tragic as it is one would hope that at least a few heartless self centred aussies who are involved in the drug trade will at least think before acting. Not everyone is pretty like Corby who had all the 'progressives'again declaring her innocence while every Indonesian knew otherwise. We would do well to stop telling the Indonesians how to run their legal system when ours is so poor.
Posted by runner, Monday, 19 January 2015 11:50:34 AM
Personally, I do not agree with Capital Punishment ! However, these two individuals are far from being termed as mere 'mules', both are further up the chain, how far up, we're not sure but far enough to coerce the other seven fools to become mules.

Should all Australia's pleas for clemency fail, I'll be very sorry indeed, but that doesn't alter the fact that these two idiots knew EXACTLY what they were doing and the consequence of those actions.

The only puzzling component that I see in this whole matter, comes from another contributor, 'CRAIG MINNS' when he says inter alia '...rudimentary understanding of game theory or behavioural economics...'? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how that statement fits into this whole equation of a couple of crooks, getting aerated by a firing squad ? There again, I am slow !
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 19 January 2015 12:18:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy