The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A nation of victims > Comments

A nation of victims : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 24/12/2014

Owning any object for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence. Those trapped within the Lindt café were left helpless, as carrying items for self-defence is not allowed under State law.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. ...
  14. 21
  15. 22
  16. 23
  17. All
Hasbeen,

Agreed.

What I wonder is how the looney leftists were ever allowed to geld what I would take as a Common Law right to self defence that existed for centuries, and twist it to put the onus on the victim to defend his/her defence of themselves and loved ones against a criminal.

What the hell is going on the media that the alarm bells didn't sound?

This news UK news item describes the leftist 'Progressive' political correctness that our foolish politicians have allowed to take over here as well,

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jan/10/myleene-klass-knife-intruders
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 27 December 2014 5:13:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

The below shows that individuals can and will need to 'win' without weapons - regardless of some plastic words on this page by myself and others.

The "realities" of the Sydney case involving one person: Mr O'Brien (a hostage) was forced to put his hands up against the cafe window by Man Haron Monis, but told him he was too tired and was able to sit down. Being told to lie on the floor during the ordeal, Mr O'Brien said he was too old to lie on the floor.

Mr O'Brien quietly slipped out of his seat and sat on the floor. He'd seen a gap between the wall and a large advertising placard. He'd roughly worked out the gap space but he knew he had to squeeze through if his plan was to work.

Failing several times, he made it through. Now the placard was obscuring him from the gunman. Laying down, looking up at a green button, he was not sure if it would open the door, or if he could be killed.

He reached up and pushed the green button and he was free and one of the first hostages to escape.

So instead of people on this topic talking "garbage" people need to realise:

1. Accepting what the Senator has offered is irresponsible as it does not consider the wider community in terms of safety;
2. Simplistic references about lawyers and old information from police are out of date;
3. Major political parties will not accept relaxed gun laws;
4. These parties won't take use of items mentioned for protection from the Senator in question;
5. Silly references to certain races of people achieve nothing;
6. Smart and intelligent action, like that of Mr O'Brian are needed to move further.

So people out there, wake up and realise the "realities" of this situation.
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 27 December 2014 7:35:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there NATHANJ...

You say '...So instead of people on this topic talking "garbage", people need to realise...' ?

OK, so many of us are speaking "garbage" according to your reckoning, how so ? Obviously you're in possession of certain information that would assist us all to avoid such an awful event that has occurred at Martin Place recently ? Accordingly, would you kindly share that data with us please ? In order that we may all appraise ourselves on reducing or managing our own personal risk in future ?
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 27 December 2014 9:14:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NJEIWILSON...

You've provided those of us who've thought to read your thread, with a very curious extract of some individual or organisation that assists an individual to commit a criminal offence. Why ? What is the point of rendering yourself perilously close to a charge of conspiracy - or to aid and abet, even an accessory (before) the fact, an intent to manifestly aid an individual to defraud, by conspiring with others, to furnish a false identity ? What's the point of it all, NJEIWILSON ?

Because of this pervading climate of terrorism, and a heightened security alert, police and other commonwealth security agencies are watching closely for any individuals who may attempt to canvass others to commit criminal offences, vie any communication mediums, such as email etc. So you're either somewhat naïve, or merely playing a joke, either way it may well come back and bite you ?
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 27 December 2014 9:53:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,

I'd put a certain comment down on this topic and I was told to stop "talking garbage" (using things like Cornish wrestling as a solution) - but that was my intention - to draw attention to some of the silly things some people were saying or suggesting on this topic. I was not however talking down self defence, or the defence of others however. I still support that - and state laws vary on that matter.

So now, you have come to a start of good questions, and options that need to be asked and investigated - and you are probably one of the first people on this page that has started to put forward some good points. A plus.

I'm not going to claim I can answer all of your questions, but that is why we have police, politicians, agencies and other people trained in the relevant fields to address matters that affect the public. We can keep talking about the recent comments by Senator David Leyonhjelm for the next how many years? 10,20,50,100? 200? What does that achieve? Nothing.

As my previous post showed, what the person did in question was very well done and required thought. For future protection things (like you asked very well), we really should consider and need to have:

1. Possession of certain information that would assist us all to avoid such an awful event that has occurred at Martin Place;

2. Accordingly, the sharing of that data/details with the public;

3. The ability to appraise ourselves/the general public on reducing or managing our own personal risk in future;

Finally I'm sure there are plenty of other questions like yours that could be sent to the Senator's office or for the Federal Government to have - to reduce or get rid of similar situations of any type, like what occurred in Sydney.
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 27 December 2014 10:20:26 PM
Nathan J,

You can Cornish wrestle all you like but someone with a pistol or any other firearm will nail you before you can say "Boo".

To all, a further point,
never think that a shot gun cannot kill or severely injure at longer ranges,
Number 7 and 1/2 shot will go 250 yards at sea level
4 goes out to 333 yds,
0 buck shot to 600 and 00 to 633 yards.

A 1 oz 12 ga. slug 1,183 yards and a .410 slug to 916 yards.

The danger zones increase the greater the height above sea level.

These are SAAMI test figures.(The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, USA)http://www.saami.org/

It is further worth remembering that shot from a .410 generally goes as far as shot from a 12 gauge gun, it's just that there is less of it but it hits just as hard
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 27 December 2014 10:57:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17