The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are men fools and clowns? Why media images of men matter > Comments

Are men fools and clowns? Why media images of men matter : Comments

By Peter West, published 8/9/2014

The publicity officer of the NSW Teachers Federation said that she wanted to live in a world without men. This may please many women, but it doesn't offer much to men.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Suzeonline :
Phanto, isn't the ultimate violent act known as murder?
Ask any police or law enforcement personnel how many women murder other people?
Not many...

I stand by my ascertain that far more men murder people than women do.
That's just a fact.

So now it seems your argument is not that men are more violent than women but that men are more murderous than women which is an entirely different argument and has nothing to do with domestic violence which is the topic at hand.

The same principle applies as before. Women may attempt murder more than men. We do not have figures for attempted murders anymore than we have accurate figures for all acts of violence. The figures that you base your argument on may be true but it may mean that women are simply less successful than men are at achieving the desired result. This may well be because men are generally bigger and stronger than women. If women were bigger and stronger than men the results might be entirely different. You cannot blame men for being bigger and stronger it is a simple reality. No one ‘blames’ Usain Bolt because he can run faster than all the women in the world. You cannot judge murderousness by the results. Who attempts murder the more often would be a more reasonable query.
Posted by phanto, Thursday, 11 September 2014 10:34:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suse

You confirm by the leaflet you were given that men WERE the main perpetrators of elderly abuse in nursing homes – at a ratio of 2:1. And every study on violence confirms that it’s all about control.

So doesn't that confirm what the woman at the conference was saying? Why dismiss that woman as a ‘militant’ (i.e. ‘bad’) feminist for saying something about men that statistically turned out to be true?

I think that, while you are sympathetic to feminism, you have not yet learned to shake off your patriarchal conditioning to objectify and distrust other women and are thus more than willing to divide feminists into 'good' and 'bad' - when no such dichotomy exists
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 11 September 2014 11:30:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty

If you look at my posting history on the gender threads, you will find that I am even more critical of women than men. Just check my posts above to Suse and OTB.

I have always maintained that the patriarchy is a system that BOTH men and women live under and that it has a toxic affect on both the male and female psyche.

‘… if only to finally understand some things from a completely normal man's viewpoint!’

I might ask you the same thing. Do you ever stop to think what it’s like to be a feminist? To be constantly told that you hate men, that you are greedy, spiteful, vengeful, anti-sex, anti-family, a troublemaker, an extremist, a baby killer?

Does it ever occur to you that feminists – even the so-called militant ones – are people and that they have feelings? And well over 90% of them (based on my own experience) are married with children or in long-term relationships.

Do you ever wonder why women become feminists? Again, based on my own experience, it’s because of an overwhelming sense of social justice. However, the patriarchy being what it is – a male-centric socio-political system – dictates that women can only become feminists for some male-centric reason, i.e. hating men.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 11 September 2014 11:57:47 PM
Phanto, don't you consider the killing of women by their intimate partner (which is the way most fatal crimes against women in this country occur) as the ultimate domestic violence issue?
After all, an outcome of death is pretty violent, and it is certainly domestic if one is killed by one's intimate partner.

Killarney, my views on feminism and women's rights are just as important as yours, yet you seem to conclude that only your views are right?
How terribly patriarchal of you!

"If you look at my posting history on the gender threads, you will find that I am even more critical of women than men. Just check my posts above to Suse and OTB."

Well good on you for joining the old boys club in being more critical of women than men...you must be proud of yourself....
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 12 September 2014 1:10:00 AM
Suseonline,

I am sorry that you did not respond to my thoughts regarding your assessment that "Demented male residents are often aggressive".

Alzheimers may have different effects on women and men, and causes them to act very differently (to their past). It would be quite erroneous then to rely on one's observed behaviour of some male dementia patients and then draw a conclusion that the personally observed incidents support a contention that men are violent (and potential murderers).

There are few men in elder care because they do not generally survive into old age as women do. That is not just men indulging in 'risky' behaviour as feminists believe and make men even more blameworthy for it (re-victimising the victims). It is a fact that men perform the lion's share of the dirty, disgusting and dangerous work to support society and their loved ones and that alone affects directly and indirectly can shorten their lifespans.

There is unrecognised cruel discrimination against elderly men in aged care that is designed for exclusively for women, and operated to suit women. The men are vastly outnumbered and the insensitivity to their needs is easily apparent to a visitor, but not so to the predominately women staffs who care for them, or to the other patients, women, who prefer entertainment and activities that suit them as women.

Even in the mundane but socially important shared meal table the patronising alienation of any male present is apparent.

Maybe one day someone might think that the elderly men in aged care have needs too, which ought be considered and reflected in the design and management of the facility. Doubtless after a life of providing for others many male elders would be stressed and affronted by the patronising dismissiveness towards them evidenced in aged care facilities and in health delivery generally.

It must be so obvious to those elderly gents that as men they are the disposable gender and the scolding mother's demand that they shed no tears and 'suck it up' when harmed is their inheritance and a burden to the grave.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 12 September 2014 3:46:15 AM
Suzeonline:
don't you consider the killing of women by their intimate partner... as the ultimate domestic violence issue?

Not necessarily. I would think that there are children who would rather be dead than being beaten senseless by their mothers on regular occasions.

You seem to be suggesting that because men cause more damage when they inflict violence that they are the more violent gender. I always thought that the argument from advocates against men’s violence was about the numbers of violent acts that men commit in relation to the number committed by women. Their cry is that men are inherently more violent than women. They are blaming men for being more violent.

You seem to be saying that men are more violent because they cause more damage so do you agree that there could be more acts of violence carried out by women than men?

What is the purpose of advocates presenting statistics showing that men are more violent if the numbers are irrelevant? You are saying that the measure is the amount of damage done and not the numbers. Of course men will inflict more damage for the reasons I have already outlined – they have a distinct physical advantage. That is obvious but it does not prove that more men are violent than women.
Posted by phanto, Friday, 12 September 2014 9:42:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy