The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Yanks are coming...again > Comments

The Yanks are coming...again : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 11/4/2014

The visits will grow in importance as the forlorn memory of the joint effort to democratise Afghanistan recedes.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Given the track record of the US involvement in Iraq, which has left that once-proud country of Iraq a complete wreck, I am very wary of Australia being involved with anything that the US does.
We were once a proud country who could stand between disputing countries as mediators.
Since John Howard took us to the illegal war with Iraq at the behest of the US we have now prostituted ourselves.
As an invading country of Iraq, under the Geneva Convention, we were legally bound to make restitution to that country for the damage that we have caused. This has not happened and Australia's standing in the world has diminished.
I am firmly against Australia giving the US a foothold in Australia in order that they can continue their rampaging ways in our part of the world.
Posted by Raise the Dust, Friday, 11 April 2014 8:35:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a welcome critical piece about this
abomination inflicted on Australia's efforts
of past decades to become self reliant in our
defence - since the Defence white paper of
More please
Posted by asho, Friday, 11 April 2014 8:41:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do you think Raise the Dust, that if the once too proud Iraq had not invaded it's much smaller neighbor, & turned it's forces loose on an orgy of pillage & looting, they might have avoided the thumping they got? No of course not, your type never think.

Oh & asho, what do you think the ripping of over a billion a year from our defense budget by the very stupid read head, Gillard, might have done to "our efforts to self reliant in our defense". I didn't see any smilies, so I can only assume you are joking.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 11 April 2014 10:56:51 AM
I think in the end the annual visits of the Marines are a good Australian-US policy.

In 2011, when the policy kicked off, the reasons were not as immediate. However with the dramatic increase in Chinese naval activity (ie. power projection) near Australia over the last two months an increased US presence in Australia is needed.

On another issue I'm wondering whether the disaster relief capacity of the 4 Super Stallion helicopters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_CH-53E_Super_Stallion in Darwin might prove useful after Cyclone Ita hits north Queensland in the next few hours - see http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/cyclone-ita-residents-go-to-shelters-as-storm-intensifies-to-category-5-20140411-36gmg.html .

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 11 April 2014 1:01:48 PM
Good piece which identifies the key issues. One problem that may occur is to the economic situation should the US change policies as withdraw back to a another strategic position. This could level a large whole in the NT economy.
The question should be also considered as to the links with the security intelligence gathered from the so called joint bases and the presence of the increase numbers of marines.
China is spreading it wings but to what effect no one but the Chinese know.
Posted by romingfree, Friday, 11 April 2014 1:07:02 PM
Raised on Bulldust,

<< the once too proud Iraq...>>

ROFL

Don't get me wrong there is a good argument to be made that we should not have gone there --leave them to there own devices, so to speak!

But to talk as if everything was just dandy prior to US involvement is baloney -only someone who regularly gets their news from one the leftwing rags could swallow that .
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 11 April 2014 1:08:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy