The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jay-Z and Beyoncé: veganism is much more than a cleanse > Comments

Jay-Z and Beyoncé: veganism is much more than a cleanse : Comments

By Nicholas Pendergrast, published 17/12/2013

Reducing the demand for dietary animal products is particularly important as a huge majority of animals killed by humans are killed for food.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Progressive? Veganism? Beyonce? Jay Z? So it has come to this. People are having the hard earned coin stolen by taxes to pay for an absolute plonker to discuss this?
Sorry for all the questions marks but honestly the sooner we HALVE their university funding and reduce our taxes the better for us all.
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 7:25:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps more and more people are beginning to understand what is communicated in these three related references.
http://sacredcamelgardens.com/wordpress/wisdom/observe-non-humans-and-learn
http://global.adidam.org/books/lawful-management-of-the-body
http://www.rawgorilla.org
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 7:48:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Please don't apologise for the question marks JB. I, too, had them popping up in my head as I read the article. I know the B woman screaches a lot but who is JayZ and why do I care what he eats? Or why would anyone else be concerned with their dietary habits?

I know what needs a thorough cleansing though, preferably with a thick red pen (an environmentaly friendly one, of course).
Posted by Sparkyq, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 7:53:06 AM
>>it is veganism that brings about the most benefits.<<

For the animals: it's not so great for us people. Eating a strictly vegan diet with no animal products means that there is no natural source of vitamin B12 in the diet so it has to be taken as a supplement. It also makes it difficult to get enough iron and supplements are usually needed to avoid anaemia. Vegetarians can get their B12 but the iron is still a problem.

It is generally considered that the average Australian diet contains more meat than is healthy. I suspect most people would probably benefit from a bit less meat and bit more fruit & veg, but the occasional serving of meat plays an important role in a healthy diet.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 8:14:38 AM
that cow was asking for tasting all hummy and that......
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 9:56:11 AM
It is indeed somewhat chilling to see such a badly written oeuvre from someone in receipt of our tax dollars, and who is presumably representative of his cohort.

His argumentation is all over the place.

We are told that "the hosts use the words 'plant-based diet' and 'vegan lifestyle' interchangeably", followed by the wagging-finger admonition "the mainstream media generally uses the 1944 definition of veganism rather than the definition that has been in place from 1951 onwards."

Who knew? Some people choose not to eat meat. Some choose to shun animal-based products of all types. Find someone who cares that there is such a disastrous a terminological crime being committed on the ABC.

The quotation in support of this duality is equally pointless:

"'I don't use the word "vegan" or "vegetarian". I don't like those words. People who chose to eat that way chose to because of ideological reasons.'"

Well, pardon me, but every single one of the vegetarians I know claims to "eat that way" either for health reasons or simply because they can't stand the taste of meat. Ideology - especially when used in this sneering, would-be-pejorative manner - doesn't enter into the equation.

Vegans, on the other hand, tend towards fundamentalism on the topic, and have been known to lecture omnivores at every opportunity. For this reason, as much as their dietary faddery, they rarely get invited to dinner. Except, of course, by other vegans.

For such small mercies...
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 10:22:08 AM
So it seems that anyone who benefits from tax-payers dollars should not be allowed to express an opinion on a public forum.
In that case EVERYONE would have to SHUT up because every single person, whether in the public or private sectors is the recipient of tax-payers dollars in all kinds of ways. Even stay at home mothers and retired people living on the pension.

It also seems to me that in the shadows of such proposed censorship is a lurking totalitarian intent. Not unlike the policies of both the nazi and communist totalitarian regimes wherein all ideas had to fit within the dominant "social realist" party-line paradigm as defined and enforced by the ruling thought police. And we all know what happened to the promoters of "false consciousness", and deviants from the party line.

So too with the commisars of the "catholic" church which, via the inquisition, were (and still are) always looking for "heresies". Happily such "heretics" can no longer be executed, only ex-communicated
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 11:17:35 AM
The great Jack Vance in his Demon Princes series of S-F described a planet whose inhabitants made veganism compulsory. After a few generations they became mindless herbivores who were hunted for their meat.

The calibre of this article suggests the author is well down that track.
Posted by cohenite, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 4:24:50 PM
Dear Pericles,

<<Well, pardon me, but every single one of the vegetarians I know claims to "eat that way" either for health reasons or simply because they can't stand the taste of meat.>>

I am vegetarian for religious reasons. It's neither about health nor about taste.

Dear Tony,

<<Vegetarians can get their B12 but the iron is still a problem.>>

The fact is that my iron levels are above average and I don't take any iron supplements. Ever heard of Popeye?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 5:40:02 PM
“Daffy Duck” – Thanks for your response to the “constructive” criticism on the article, with most comments so far saying something along the lines of anyone who has ever received any money from the government shouldn’t express an opinion about anything, rather than actually discussing the content of the article.

Tony – you argue that ‘the occasional serving of meat plays an important role in a healthy diet’. However, as Yuyutsu points out, you don’t need meat (or animal products in general) to get iron or any other nutrient. Any nutrient found in animal products you can get from plant-based sources.

The fact that we don’t need any animal products at all to be healthy is recognised by mainstream health organisations such as the American Dietetic Association, whose position is that:

‘Appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and … appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.’

http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

Maybe you think they've been hijacked by vegans Tony?
Posted by Nick Pendergrast, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 8:34:10 PM
>>Ever heard of Popeye?<<

Yes: he was a cartoon character. A fictional person although I doubt that bothers you much. Popeye could obtain temporary bursts of great strength by eating canned spinach. This is not supported by any known nutritional science: if the iron in a can of spinach gave people the strength of Popeye then a serving of liver would turn give them strength that would make the Hulk... um... pink with envy.

Canned spinach really isn't a good source of iron. Cooking (but not over-cooking because that will destroy some of nutrients) fresh stuff is better but it's still not a particularly good source of iron. Vegetables in general are not: the iron they contain is non-heme iron. Non-heme iron isn't as well absorbed by the body as the heme-iron you get from meat. Non-heme iron absorption can also be significantly affected by dietary factors; meat proteins and vitamin C improve its absorption while tannins (found in tea), calcium, polyphenols, phytates (found in legumes and whole grains) and oxalic acid (found in spinach) can decrease its absorption. Heme-iron absorption is not significantly affected by diet.

If we compare canned spinach with pan-fried beef liver we can see that the liver contains 6.2mg Fe/100g and the spinach only 2.3mg Fe/100g:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3470/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2629/2

There is less iron in the spinach and that iron is not as efficiently absorbed by the body. Popeye should have been eating liver.
Posted by Tony Lavis, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 6:11:53 AM
>>Any nutrient found in animal products you can get from plant-based sources.<<

Except cobalamin. The position of the Vegan Society is that:

>>The only reliable vegan sources of B12 are foods fortified with B12 (including some plant milks, some soy products and some breakfast cereals) and B12 supplements.<<

and

>>If for any reason you choose not to use fortified foods or supplements you should recognise that you are carrying out a dangerous experiment - one that many have tried before with consistently low levels of success... If you are breast feeding an infant, pregnant or seeking to become pregnant or are an adult contemplating carrying out such an experiment on a child, then don't take the risk. It is simply unjustifiable.<<

Do you think the Vegan Society has been hijacked by omnivores?

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 6:12:14 AM
its funny..tony just asked

<<Do you think the Vegan Society has been hijacked by omnivores?>>

no but..i recall...the title..of this..thread
[currently..at least..on my screen..as if the latest topic..in articles]

so clearly..somehow my browser..*has been high-jacked
i..thought so many comments..and i was only at the articles page minutes ago

on..reading the posts i..confirm..its a much older topic
so..highjack..seems apt..anyhow..alllife is sacred..or not

so tell me vegans..is your food really guilt free?
did not LIVING vegetables die..so you can live?

should SLEEPING seeds be murded..just..to make a cup of soy-muck?

why do the religious..pray over their food
so much has died..just so we can..'live'

if you live..you..kill..even..if some think they dont
their sooo pure..and the murderor..is so not them..[not]

just like..the same fools..have been led to..think..debt=money

.debit..is what money is today..BUT*,,,govt is already too..big.a burden..[not a benificient good..but enslaved to bwankerrs

its not enough they TAX us to death
[thus the need to give SOME;select/elect/people 20,000..for state/council fees levies charges

NOW YOU*..WANT..URSURY.,.on top..
i got another idea

NO..GOVT FEES
no..govt tax
NO USURY

govt issues its own..money..
set according to meeting THE/peoples need..[in coin][or..CREDIT*..card

beginning..new year
here is how..
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=15786&page=0#274098
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 7:45:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Most vegetarians and all but the strictest vegans eat some animal products just about every day and are none the worse for it.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 8:25:49 AM
Vegetarians - those who eschew meat but embrace dairy products, eggs and in some cases (though it puzzles me), fish have numerous nutritious food choices to ensure a healthy balanced diet.

Vegans on the other hand do not and I've seen first hand the detrimental effects of a vegan 'lifestyle' on young children. That is the children born to and breastfed by vegan mothers and weaned onto a vegan diet essentially lacking in sufficient proteins fats and some vitamins for infant/child nutrition. This includes significant and irreversible developmental damage - physical and mental.

Vegetarians on the whole seem reasonable balanced people who for either philosophical reasons, taste preference or food intolerance choose not to eat meat.

Vegans on the whole come across as fanatical crackpots who just can't understand why the rest of the world won't adopt their ways. Maybe it's the diet affects them this way? Whatever ...

This much I do know - vegan diet is unsuitable, even dangerous for pregnant/nursing mothers, infants or children.
Posted by divine_msn, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 12:42:25 PM
Tony – yes spinach is not the best source of iron but many other plant-based sources of iron are better. You are right that animal-based iron is easier to absorb, however, as you mention, consuming vitamin C with iron-rich plant-based foods can increase absorption. Either way, many vegans easily get enough iron. Some don’t (nearly all females) – although many non-vegan females are also low in iron. Therefore, many females, vegan or not, take iron supplements to raise their iron levels.

Regarding your point ‘Do you think the Vegan Society has been hijacked by omnivores?’ Tony, no I don’t believe this, I think the organisation is giving important advice about B12. This is an important issue but not one that makes veganism unviable. As the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine point out, for vegans B12 ‘does present a genuine nutritional issue, although one that is easily solved’.

http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/faq_b12.pdf

Is Mise – you write that ‘Most vegetarians and all but the strictest vegans eat some animal products just about every day and are none the worse for it’. I’m not arguing that eating small amounts of animal products is necessarily going to cause health problems, I’m arguing that we don’t need to eat a small amount of animal products to be healthy, and that eating a small amount of animal products harm animals.

Divine_msn – if a vegan diet is unsuitable for children, pregnant mothers etc, why is that not the position of The American Dietetic Association, who have no link to veganism/animal rights? Once again, their position is that:

‘Appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and … appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.’

http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

Here are some other quotes from an academic article about vegan pregnancy:

‘Sufficient energy can easily be obtained solely from plant-based foods.’

‘…sufficient iron can be obtained from a plant-based diet.’

https://theconversation.com/a-vegan-diet-can-be-as-safe-for-pregnancy-as-any-other-20640

What is your evidence that vegan diets are unsuitable for children/pregnant mothers?
Posted by Nick Pendergrast, Thursday, 19 December 2013 2:25:17 AM
There is nothing to be gained, I have discovered over the years, from arguing with fundmentalists such as vegans.

Except young earth creationists. They're fun.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 19 December 2013 6:22:41 AM
Nick Pendergast, you wrote:
"Is Mise – you write that ‘Most vegetarians and all but the strictest vegans eat some animal products just about every day and are none the worse for it’. I’m not arguing that eating small amounts of animal products is necessarily going to cause health problems, I’m arguing that we don’t need to eat a small amount of animal products to be healthy, and that eating a small amount of animal products harm animals."

I don't disagree with you, I was merely pointing out that non-eaters of meat do actually consume meat product from many animals, possibly with every meal.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 19 December 2013 7:05:20 AM
Divine_msn – if a vegan diet is unsuitable for children, pregnant mothers etc, why is that not the position of The American Dietetic Association, who have no link to veganism/animal rights? Once again, their position is that:

What is your evidence that vegan diets are unsuitable for children/pregnant mothers?

In a single word Nick: Experience. Note my earlier comment:

"...I've seen first hand the detrimental effects of a vegan 'lifestyle' on young children. That is the children born to and breastfed by vegan mothers and weaned onto a vegan diet essentially lacking in sufficient proteins fats and some vitamins for infant/child nutrition. This includes significant and irreversible developmental damage - physical and mental."

I'm sure even you won't argue that a balanced vegan diet is far and away more difficult to achieve than omnivorous or vegetarian. Not all vegans have the resources - either availability of suitable foods and/or the knowledge and capacity to understand and DELIVER the DIFFERENT nutritional REQUIREMENTS of growing bodies - including gestating and nursing females.

I'm confident you'd know that the effects of malnutrition on a young child in particular can be devastating and to some extent, irreversible. I've seen it first hand as a result of fruitcake vegan parents who have no idea and certainly do not want to accept their dietary insanity is the cause of their childrens failure to thrive and intellectual lethargy.

I'm sure even you will be able to find a good many references to this sort of problem if you care to research it
Posted by divine_msn, Thursday, 19 December 2013 9:39:36 AM
Pericles – it seems your use of the term “fundamentalist” is just a way to shut down the debate rather than engaging with the issues. It’s interesting that I’m not called a fundamentalist for rejecting to less popular practices like seal clubbing and dog fighting, but then rejecting more widely accepted industries like the meat and dairy industries gets the fundamentalist label for some reason.

Is Mise – yes many people who claim to be vegetarian aren’t in reality, although I’m unsure why you’d classify people who eat meat at every meal as ‘non-eaters of meat’.

Divine_msn – your experiences show the problems of poorly planned diets/lack of certain nutrients rather than the problems of veganism. Any nutrient that these people were low in could have been obtained from vegan sources – the problem is a badly planned vegan diet rather than a vegan diet. I find it extremely easy to eat a well-planned vegan diet and I know of many vegan mothers who do too.

In terms of research, there are many examples of children fed poor diets – a few of these are vegans, in which case it is often put down to something inherently wrong with vegan diets for kids. Most examples are non-vegan kids, in which case it is just put down to neglect/bad parenting, rather than the problems inherent to feeding kids a non-vegan diet.

You do raise an important issue in terms of access though. It is definitely more difficult for people in low socio-economic areas to eat vegan and have access to healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables generally. This seems to particularly be a problem in the US. The Food Empowerment Project do some great work in addressing this issue and trying to reduce these problems:

http://www.foodispower.org/food-deserts/

However, this is more to do with class rather than veganism being unsuitable at certain times eg pregnancy and childhood. Many people, particularly in Australia, are capable of meeting all of their nutrient requirements at these stages of their lives.
Posted by Nick Pendergrast, Thursday, 19 December 2013 2:10:21 PM
Not so, Nick Pendergrast.

>>Pericles – it seems your use of the term “fundamentalist” is just a way to shut down the debate rather than engaging with the issues. It’s interesting that I’m not called a fundamentalist for rejecting to less popular practices like seal clubbing and dog fighting, but then rejecting more widely accepted industries like the meat and dairy industries gets the fundamentalist label for some reason.<<

In fact, I was using the term to describe someone who is so steeped in their own worldview, that they cannot accept that other views exist. Consequently, they do their utmost to close down the debate - oddly enough, exactly what you accuse me of.

To every observation made here that does not conform to your (let's face it, minority) view, your response is simply "you're wrong".

Also, you are way, way off the mark with your protestation...

>>...most comments so far saying something along the lines of anyone who has ever received any money from the government shouldn’t express an opinion about anything, rather than actually discussing the content of the article.<<

You can express any opinion you like. That is not the issue. It was precisely the content of the article - its poor argumentation, the wandering off-topic, the pointless references to arcane definitions - that was being remarked upon. The observation that you are the product of, and being maintained by, the taxpayer dollar, was very much in the context of "heck, we pay for low-quality material such as this?"

Wear it.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 19 December 2013 4:02:01 PM
Pericles – I don’t see how disagreeing with views expressed by others here is shutting down the debate. Are you saying that to avoid being a “fundamentalist” I have to automatically change my view because someone presented a different one? I haven’t simply said “you’re wrong” but have tried to respond to the comments and support my arguments with evidence and explanation. Also, regarding me apparently shutting down debate, I haven’t called anyone “fundamentalists” or any other names, spoken about how they earn their living or anything like that – I have just responded to their points.

I haven’t changed my views on this issue because I believe the arguments presented here have not been as strong. You disagree and think it is my arguments that are weak, poorly written etc. People can read my article and these comments and decide which arguments they find the strongest and weakest. I am absolutely aware that other people have different views on this issue to me. However, just because a view has the majority, doesn’t automatically make it right.
Posted by Nick Pendergrast, Friday, 20 December 2013 3:13:25 AM
nick..what i dislike..about vegan ism
is that all..apples arnt the same [nutritionally]
a vegetable deficient..or saturated..by pollutants..in its medium
or lacking of trace/elements..plus..MUTAGENS gmo..etc

like the virus..used to mutate the food
somehow makes the third generation..sterile..[of those consuming/it]
plus infinite dice rolling[and dont say..that aint..in/ya soy latte*[eh?]

yep thats spinach..yes it has iron
yes its organic..but its going to do the opposite
[ya wanna start..ending meat eating..dont go..guilt[educate]..that grain fed..its pure gmo..poison..[mutagenetic]

free range..[not just let out for show for the cameras]..or in paddock..but wild..[but even then/with heavy metals..poisend earth/wind/water..and biota..its time we got used to the fact..we all die.

get over..trying to live/forever/young
and live it..while you can

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6153&page=0
Posted by one under god, Friday, 20 December 2013 4:07:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
much..is happening..by..sign..that gives us hope the good guys are on it..media seems to have found its spine..[media is key here]

by subverting spin..inlue of INFO..is how we got here
sothe media must be awoken[?]

media here is key
but too is ARIEL*SHARRON..who has been on..'life support'
read limbo..for near nine years..NINE YEARS..enough his enough..this is how we punish PEACEMAKERS?

why media is key*..is media MAKES US ANGRY*
but also..ENSURES we feel..small.
we cant change.nuthin

WHAT..they are trying to..get us angry
its called divide and con*queer

http://rss.infowars.com/20131124_Sun_Alex.mp3

the beginning..explains the war..between the baddies/the baddies
the middle explains how federal..police are corrupting local police...and how they..assaulted alex..by hurting a child

[they will do much the same..to govt
[recall..goerge/blair/john..REALLY believed satans spin

and note..please..the big ending..is important too
perhaps more..try to focus..on what is said..is federal..is highjacking the other[undrer thee globalist..adgenda

ihave seen protest visions of the future
where we broadcast..pictures [images]..on..buildings
because we ARE there only for colour*

thats what i like about files..you can rewind..to make sure
thats all any needs do..check/confirm..dont act fast..not furious

anyhow the lions lay..with the sheep?
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=15820&page=0
Posted by one under god, Friday, 20 December 2013 8:17:28 AM
on tue/wed..alex jones talks of..how soils have been depleted
on..wed he talks of 'meat'..and ''milk'...[be warned..this cannot be true]
http://rss.infowars.com/20131218_Wed_Alex.mp3
[please..note the end..]

http://xml.nfowars.net/Alex.rss
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 21 December 2013 3:00:56 PM
Nick,

"Is Mise – yes many people who claim to be vegetarian aren’t in reality, although I’m unsure why you’d classify people who eat meat at every meal as ‘non-eaters of meat’."

Not what I really said but to clarify the matter, most vegetarians eat meat when they consume store bought bread and any other products that do not use flour that is certified to be free of meat and other material that was once living happily in the wheat fields.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 11:44:17 AM
Oh I see what you mean Is Mise - yes there are hidden animal products in lots of things - even many lollies are not technically vegetarian because they contain gelatine (ground up animal bones). Luckily there are plenty of lollies, breads and everything else that are totally free of animal products though, just a matter of knowing which ones to go for and which to avoid, which gets easier and easier as time goes on :)
Nick
Posted by Nick Pendergrast, Wednesday, 8 January 2014 5:33:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy