The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tasmania decriminalises abortion > Comments

Tasmania decriminalises abortion : Comments

By Ronli Sifris, published 5/12/2013

A country that respects the rights of women should not be satisfied with abortion remaining a crime.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Suse,

<<Who forces Doctors to abort babies? No-one.>>person

Not with their own hands, but by referring them to another doctor.

If you hire an assassin, you are guilty of murder.
If you knowingly drive a rapist to the place of rape, you are guilty of aiding and abetting the resulting rape.

Whether abortion is murder or not is besides the question: what matters is that certain doctors see it as such, yet you still demand that they aid and abet what they perceive as murder - or lose their license.

How would you feel in their situation?

<<However, I do not believe in forcing women to do something they don't want to do either...carrying on with a pregnancy they don't want.>>

Neither do I, but I don't go about as a result shouting "down with religion, drag everyone to the 21st century".

<<How is it worse 'forcing' a Doctor to refer a woman to someone else>>

For a religious Christian, this feels like rape, if you need to place it on scale, or like a mother who is forced to sell her child into prostitution in order to feed her other children. A Christian doctor who did so, would feel as a murderer, guilty to the core for the rest of his life. He would lose all self-esteem and might even become suicidal.

<<How would YOU force her?>>

I never would. It goes against my moral grain.

<<Obviously, I am amongst the majority in these thoughts>>

Producing this majority-thing as a justification for cruel acts is the material that ignites civil wars.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 6 December 2013 2:43:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Obviously, I am amongst the majority in these thoughts, with three states decriminalising abortion so far. '

yep just like the majority of Germans shut their mouth or were deliberatley ignorant of the jews going to the gas chambers. Very similar attitude.
Posted by runner, Friday, 6 December 2013 2:59:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And yet, most of those Germans were Christian Runner, so go figure.

I realise you guys are disappointed about the decriminalisation of abortion.
Why not concentrate your efforts on a subject you can actually do something about, like all the neglected and abused children actually living in this world?
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 6 December 2013 7:25:04 PM
If the fetus is not a human being from the moment of conception then when does it become one?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 6 December 2013 8:16:17 PM
Yuyutsu

<Producing this majority-thing as a justification for cruel acts is the material that ignites civil wars>

Castigating Suse for using supposedly militant rhetoric and then warning her that her kind of attitude ignites civil wars and could turn Australia into another Belfast is a tad hypocritical.

Every Australian opinion poll taken on the subject in recent decades records a substantial majority support for abortion on demand. Excuse me, but that's not called 'justification for cruel acts'; it's called 'democracy'. However, you appear to view rule by majority as an inconvenience to the moral and religious views of a minority.

runner

The majority of Germans WERE ignorant of what was happening to the Jews. Those who DID know also knew that to speak up meant the same would happen to them. Also, the majority of Germans didn't even vote for Hitler. The Nazis received 44% of the votes and only after their main political rivals had been eliminated. So take your tedious Godwin's Law moralising somewhere else.
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 6 December 2013 9:45:42 PM
Is Mise, the fetus is human from conception of course, but is not viable outside the uterus before about 25 weeks gestation in Australia.

Most abortions are carried out before 12 weeks gestation.
I would rather advocate for more effective and cheaper contraception than abortion, as abstinence is something even some Catholic Priests can't seem to handle...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 7 December 2013 3:00:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy