The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We need to talk about climate now > Comments

We need to talk about climate now : Comments

By Lyn Bender, published 21/10/2013

It seems that no time is the right time to discuss global warming, even as people are suffering from our failure to address climate change.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
I would like to know what part of science the warmist don't understand that when fuel builds up from heaps of unpredicted rain and then dries out it becomes lethal. Please explain why we should not create decent firebreaks and sensible burning. Maybe the 'science ' of unpredicted rainfall led the warmist to believe that this much fuel would never exist again. Now that what us to bow down to their next lot of prophecies. Thankfully we now have adults at the helm instead of Milne/Gillard/Bandt etc.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 22 October 2013 3:44:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

We must fund a federal initiative to actively
manage fire risk by reducing flammable load.
There should be a competent organisation making
that decision. The past 12 months have been the
warmest documented while 2013 is set to go down as
the hottest calendar year in Australia according
to a report published as year in the "International
Journal of Climatology," which found bushfire risk
had increased in Australia since the 1970s and that
the fire season could potentially be getting longer
in Australia's south-east.

Now what you personally happen to believe is frankly
irrelevant because the facts speak for themselves.
Bushfires are not about to go away and the public
needs to start talking about living in bushfire-prone
areas and planning for ways to minimise the impact of
an extended fire season.

Severe weather manager at the Bureau of Meteorology said
warmer temperatures were being recorded throughout
Australia and ,"If over the next couple of months, we
continue this trend, which we expect we will, we expect
to see one of the hottest 12-month periods on record."

Therefore, now is the time that we need to plan for a
longer fire season - it's something we're going to
expect, looking to the future.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 22 October 2013 5:17:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More severe weather is more likely linked to more people causing more sewage nutrient matter to be dumped in waterways and oceans, proliferating more algae plant matter absorbing more warmth during photosynthesis.
It's a more likely and logical scenario than more CO2.
There has been a clear cut increase in ocean algae/phytoplankton in the past 100 years.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijocean/2012/263946/

CO2 has been a problem today with at least one publican using it to pipe free beer for firefighters!
According to news the publican got into trouble for it, for being so thoughtful and generous.
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 22 October 2013 6:11:36 PM
Lyn, congratulations! You may have discovered another backward group, even more backward the Flat Earthers. I refer of course to the 'Sun Revolves Around The Earth' Crowd!

In the main they have semi-Neanderthal-type faces (much like Tony Abbott in fact, although this may be pure coincidence). Their knuckles tend to drag on the ground and they, in the main, seem to vote Coalition. Enthusiastic grunting is what they do when they are shown a bucket of money. It's a dead give-a-way!

Yes, this group of anachronistic, intellectually-challenged souls have been lurking in the background, trying to merge with the Flat Earthers in the hope they wouldn't be discovered.

But you, Lyn, have forced them into the limelight, a remarkable achievement and proof that psychologists have been small-noted for far too long.

What worries me is that the Flat-Earthers and the Sun-Revolves-around-the-Earth types will combine and fairies will once again live at the bottom of our gardens.

Jardine is French for garden, isn't it? Doesn't a Jardine already comment on OLO?

Help!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 22 October 2013 6:59:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Lyn

Don't be discouraged, I don't get much past the first couple pages with the usual few who refuse to accept the science. Reducing CO2e is failry easy.

Not holding us up as a role model but it can be done, we went off the grid about 4 years ago, generate and store all our own power and water, moved to a milder climate (minimal heating cooling). I gave up my job, my partner cycles 20km round trip to her part time job. We have no meat eating pets and have given up flying. We moved to a rural area (cheap housing) grow our own fruit and veg, own chickens for eggs and meat etc and I live off a small stipend from selling my business and investments (no welfare).

We don't have to form an orderly queue to do the right thing, with someone else going first. This is the very argument every country uses for not doing the right thing. If everyone esle is being an arsehole or a racist or littering etc doesn't mean we have to as well (yes that is a analogy Jim, not an indictment of people here).

Don't give up ! :)
Posted by Valley Guy, Tuesday, 22 October 2013 7:05:37 PM
Dear Foxy,

Much sense in your last post; we need fire proof houses and a lot less trees around dwellings and other buildings and far more on site water storage.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed fireproof homes in 1907; it's taking us a long time to catch up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fireproof_House_for_$5000
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 22 October 2013 8:03:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All